Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 home networking questions. fairly straight forward

• 08-02-2008 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

my setup is..

chorus internet box > router > pc + 2 wireless laptop's.

what would i need to turn the computer into the router and broadcast the internet to the laptop's?

i assume its just a wireless card for the pc?
    do i need software? whats the best?

ive got one of those netgear rangemax 10x router's and having woeful problems port forwarding. when i connect the laptop or pc directly into the chorus box downloads are 500kb/s+.
    when using the netgear box it barely goes above 200kb/s.

ive done my work on the router and decided to sell it soon.

in the mean time what could i do about getting this steup?

also, i do a lot of file sharing using the laptop's to the desktop pc.

when im using ethernet on laptop and pc its some what decent speed.
    when using the pc on ethernet and laptop on wireless its woefully slow.

am i setting it up wrong? as ive got 108mbps router and my wireless card supports transfer speeds to that extent.

any help on these 2 matters would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Connect the modem to the PC. Install a wireless card on the PC and then set up an ad hoc network between it and the laptops. Then setup internet connection sharing on the PC.

Worked for me before. Use static ip's on all three machines, with the gateway and dns set to the PC's ip address.

Edit: and to answer your second query, data transfer rates are always faster on ethernet as it's duplex. Wireless isn't and has additional overheads such as encryption which lower it's throughput speed. On a 54Mbps connection the actual transfer rate maxs out at 20Mbps. This being in theoretical ideal situations. Actual max throughput will often be much less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ok sounds good.

i set up netmonitor and using ethernet, im getting a max transfer of 10mbp's from pc to pc.
    does that sound slow?
    any reason why it would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

One of your network cards is only 10mbps? You would need both to be 100mbps to achive that connection rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ive got a dell xps m1710 with an Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card and the ethernet connection. im almost sure that its a 100/10 ethernet port.

desktop is an asus striker motherboard with 2 ethernet ports.

Advertisement