Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Island unit in kitchen

Options
  • 08-02-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi,

Doing a bit of a DIY job, handy enough but never done this before. Just wondering how do you secure the island units in the middle of the kitchen. We have a granite worktop so need to be steady and strong for this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

no need to fix it really,islands are like kitchen tables they just stand there.just make sure its level .it wont topple over as long as its not very long and of narrow width

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I wouldn't agree with the above, kitchen tables move, they are supposed to.
    Islands are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PeteJones

fm wrote: »
    no need to fix it really,islands are like kitchen tables they just stand there.just make sure its level .it wont topple over as long as its not very long and of narrow width
    What?? How can you not fix an island to the ground? Does not sound like good advice tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Last island unit I did was framed and panelled in ash had a 30mm granite top aprox 1500mm x 800mm incorporating a under mount sink and flexi tap unit .
    With the usual doors, drawers and pull outs

The 120 mm kick base was built separate from the ash framed top unit, the base consisted of 120mm x 50mm white deal timber made up in a typical stud configuration, levelled and fixed to the timber floor the top unit was then registered with location blocks and fixed and plugged to this kick base unit,
    incidentally they wanted a floating effect so I applied safety backed mirror to the kick base board and installed rope lighting roughed in to the underside of the ash unit turned out pretty good .

Note: make sure the island unit and the kick base you construct is of sound construction for the weight of the granite plus a bit more if someone might want to maybe have a wee little dance on it
    I‘ve seen this and it does happen!

regards jbcford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

The island in my kitchen is moveable. It's a split level island with beech work top. I think it's nice as i have a huge kitchen and wasin't quite sure where it would suit best.
    There are black stud like things behind the kicking board, it sits on these. It is perfectly stable, but then again wood is alot lighter than granite.

If you have a big kitchen it's nice to have choices imo.

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree with the above, kitchen tables move, they are supposed to.
    Islands are not.

kitchen tables are stable and wont topple over-that is the main reason why they dont need to be fixed,thats why i made the comparision.

PeteJones wrote: »
    What?? How can you not fix an island to the ground? Does not sound like good advice tbh

make sure your island has a seperate base(stud type)- a box plinth.say your island is 1500mm by 900mm with doors on the long 2 sides ,your base should be approx 150mm high ,1480mm long by 800mm deep.its recessed by 50 mm where the doors are and 10 mm each side(gable ends).it has to be square and of solid constuction with studs.put it on the ground, level it, place your units on it and screw them together then screw your units to the box plinth.now try and move iy or knock it over,it would be very hard to do so.if your not happy and think its unstable secure it to the floor.take off units and you have to use L shaped metal brackets to fix plinth to floor,or fix batons to floor and then fix plinth to the batons.if you have a sink or dishwasher in the island it would have to be fixed because of connections to pipes.you cant use a box stud plinth where the dishwasher stands.

Advertisement