Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I AM A UCD Graduate Who Needs Library Facilities

Options
  • 08-02-2008 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

.....I don't need to borrow books or anything like that, I don't even need a computer account....

But what I do need is somewhere to sit down in comfort to study and read, unmolested.

How can I achieve this..? Is there a method whereby alumni can get a pass or something, for the library like?

I don't have a problem with paying a nominal fee or anything.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

If you're being molested you should really report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

ShaneU wrote: »
    If you're being molested you should really report it.

Ha ha ha...Cowboy Two Radios and Ronnie Drew the library assistant are always on me case.

Seriously.....any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Admission to the Library: UCD Graduates

Graduates of UCD who wish to use the Library are welcome to apply to become an External Reader or an External Borrower.
    Please note that under the terms of our user licences with publishers, some electronic resources are not available to non-UCD staff and students, including UCD Graduates. Electronic resources may only be used for the purposes of private study and research and not for commercial gain.
    Graduates of UCD, who are also members of the UCD Alumni Association, can use the Library for reference.
    For the James Joyce Library (formely main library) please apply to the Admissions Desk with your alumnus card. For branch libraries please apply to a Library Information Desk with your alumnus card. A Library card can usually be issued immediately. Please note that this card does not give borrowing privileges.
    As the Library is very heavily used by UCD students prior to and during the main examination period, we regret that access to the Library is unavailable to UCD alumni between March and May.
    Long term access (up to 9 months)
    UCD Graduate € 30
    Non-UCD Graduate € 100

Weekly access
    UCD Graduate € 15
    Non-UCD Graduate € 20

http://www.ucd.ie/library/about/admission_to_the_library/index.html#ucdgraduates

There you have it sire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Revenge_Of_Shinobi,_The_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

public library?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Just on that point of when they can't access it - seems they haven't noticed the whole modularisation thing.

Library is just as jammed in december now too.

karmabass wrote: »

Many thanks indeed.

I wonder what they mean by "financial gain".

I only want to study for exams.

Oh, and how do I get an Alumnus Card???

:confused:

karmabass wrote: »

I think the prices have gone up. They are quoting €100 for grads....and its not clear where I get an Alumnus card for. The online application just says post in your Student # and to name the degree you took:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

There's the Richview Library; you don't need a card to get in there, only to borrow books. However, unless you're in to Architecture or Civil Engineering, however, you'll need to bring your own books.

• Advertisement

stereoroid wrote: »
    There's the Richview Library; you don't need a card to get in there, only to borrow books. However, unless you're in to Architecture or Civil Engineering, however, you'll need to bring your own books.

Hi 'Roid....where is Richview? Sounds like an address on Killiney Hill.:D

Cheers!

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

IT Loser wrote: »
    Hi 'Roid....where is Richview? Sounds like an address on Killiney Hill.:D

Cheers!

TK

Its on the clonskeagh road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭johnathan woss

If you pay to use the library as a graduate, can you access JSTOR and other online journals ?

Richview is down the Clonskeagh side of UCD, past all the sports grounds etc.

You could always join the alumni association http://www.ucd.ie/alumni/join_alumni_association.htm

YOu get free entry to the library for that - and it's only 25e a year.

Richview is down the Clonskeagh side of UCD, past all the sports grounds etc.

You could always join the alumni association http://www.ucd.ie/alumni/join_alumni_association.htm

YOu get free entry to the library for that - and it's only 25e a year.

Richview huh.....how come I never heard of that in all my years. Thanks for the link to the alumni assoc, I'll give them a shot. Apparently, and you can correct me, the Alumni assoc only allows access for 9 of 12 months, while everyone gets their head down from March to May. Somethings never change I guess...

Thanks for the heads up.

The reason I am asking all of this anyways is that I am considering a move from Greystones to Blackrock and won't have a desk in my room, so study facilities in the area would be right up my street.

Cheers again.

The usual access isn't available march to may either because of the exams - but you get more for your buck if you used the alumni association.

The usual access isn't available march to may either because of the exams - but you get more for your buck if you used the alumni association.

So, no matter what, I am down for 3 months, in the main library, unless I use Richview, is that correct. Confussing!:confused:

Well technically you shouldn't have access to any of the libraries - but in saying that Richview doesn't have swipe access so you could probably get in.

Well technically you shouldn't have access to any of the libraries - but in saying that Richview doesn't have swipe access so you could probably get in.

Okay, but if I had my alumnus card thing, where can I get in, and when. I have no problem parting with a few quid, no problem at all.

you can get reader access to any of the UCD libraries that's teh main, blackrock, health science, vetinary, architecture and i'm probably missing one.

• Advertisement

you can get reader access to any of the UCD libraries that's teh main, blackrock, health science, vetinary, architecture and i'm probably missing one.

This is with the Alumnus thing, right? If thats the case, I am sorted.

So, for the record.

Alumnus requires a payment.

Alumnus gets you access

Except for 3 months of the year?

Are we str8??:cool:

Yep precisely.

And you get magazines and stuff.

Yep precisely.

And you get magazines and stuff.

Magazines and stuff......no chance of those goodie bags they hand out to those freshers??:p:p I could do with 3 biros 2 mini packs of cheerios and a mars bar like, right now.

Anyways thanks a lot for your help Steph.

CHeers.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

sure you can just walk into vet science library
    its where I go when I forget my student card

woop wrote: »
    sure you can just walk into vet science library
    its where I go when I forget my student card

Vet Science Library, is it???:cool::cool:

Also one place I forgot about is Blackrock, but its kinda out of the way from the Main Campus, and its small, and run by biddies.

The blackrock library has been upgraded big time - i think it's a new building and everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ophelia09

If you pay to use the library as a graduate, can you access JSTOR and other online journals ?
    Hi, I'm going to be a graduate in September and just wondering the exact same thing, did you ever find an answer to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

ophelia09 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm going to be a graduate in September and just wondering the exact same thing, did you ever find an answer to this?

Yes.

Advertisement