Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering

Options
  • 08-02-2008 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭

The car I bought has no power steering, does it make a big difference not having it? A few people have made me nervous saying it will be impossible to drive learning off. I'm nervous about something before I even start. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

How do these few people think that the people who have been driving for 10+ years learned without power steering.
    Power Steering is very useful but not a necessity. I learned to drive without power steering as did many others.
    The main place you notice it is in tight slow maneuvering (parking etc) but you'll do fine without it.
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

kippy wrote: »
    How do these few people think that the people who have been driving for 10+ years learned without power steering.
    Power Steering is very useful but not a necessity. I learned to drive without power steering as did many others.
    The main place you notice it is in tight slow maneuvering (parking etc) but you'll do fine without it.
    Kippy

+1

ive always had cars with power steering but have driven ones with no more steering and the big difference is parking but you will get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

My car (which I learned in) doesn't have power steering. I find it ok for the most part, but parking and maneuvering can be tricky. My sister and dad have driven several cars without power steering and they said mine is the worst, and I dont even find it that bad.

When I trade it in I'll make sure my next car has power steering though, as its so much easier for the maneuvers

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I have been driving for many years and when I started out PS was only available on top of the range models. If anything you get greater feedback from the road without it and this will possibly help you develop your driving style. Modern PS divorces one from actual road conditions and may actually contribute to over confident driving, which in some cases can be dangerous. Enjoy your future in motoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Very much depends on the car, if its a smaller car it won't make a lot of difference other than in parking as pointed out already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

You will feel the road more and also feel how the car would like to behave without powersteering. I started off without powersteering, and am probably better off for it. When your driving a car with powersteering after coming from one without, you almost feel slighly removed from the driving experience. Powersteering has its benefits though in slow parking manoeuvres where you wont have to turn the wheel that extra bit faster and with a little bit more force but thats about it, at medium to high rolling speeds though you wont tell the difference obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Thanks for the feedback, I drove in my car for the first time today and like most here said it wasn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dean820 wrote: »
    I drove in my car for the first time today
    Congratulations and good luck with the driving.

The first time I drove a car with power assisted steering, I thought it felt like I was driving on snow!

Advertisement