Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riello external burner

Options
  • 08-02-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Right,
    I checked a few threads but most of the stuff done in all of them is above me already :P
    It possibly ran out of oil (kero), my mum was staying with me so I came home to her saying it wasnt working. It was fairly low but not empty, anywho I ordered some more today and it wont fire up now. I hit the reset button on it twice and it 'whooshed' but that was about it (it also says only press the reset button twice).
    I might have to bleed it but honestly dont know how, there's what looks like a stopcock on the pipe but more of a nozzle thing.
    Is it best to just call somebody out to look at it and also any idea how much it would cost?

I'm fairly handly with things once I've done it once or know remotely what to do but this to me is new teritory.
    Many thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Right,
    If you ran out of oil its likely you have airlocked the system and need to bleed it.

What type of riello do you have?

I think you can bleed at the burner and or on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Don't be afraid to give it up to 4 or 5 resets you might be lucky.

Also just open the flexible oil line anywhere (at junction with that valve) and wait for a few seconds for the oil to start coming out. Then try two more resets.

If still not fired up bleeding at the oil pump in burner is the only option but that's a little bit harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

Cool, so just open the valve at the junction until it comes out yeah? Or just pull off the line if I can?
    As far as I'm aware it's a riello 70.
    I'll give it a few more resets too when its light out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It's probably a Riello 40 or RDB. In either case take off the red cover. You will see the oil line going into the oil pump. Do NOT turn the screw that you see - that is an adjustment and cannot be changed. On the side you will see an allen screw - you need an allen key - loosen the screw and let some oil bubble out - tighten the screw and push the button. If it is an RDB, you will see an allen screw facing you as well - you can also try that. There is also a bolt you can loosen, below the screw I spoke about.
    Jim.

Yup it must be an RDB, thats on there too. As I said I'll give that a go tomorrow and let you know how I get on, thanks a mil for the advice and feedback.

Just for my own curiosity any idea how much it would be to get it serviced? I'm in the Clare/Limerick area if that makes a difference. We only bought the house a few months ago and it could probably do with a service pretty soon even if I do get it back up and running.

• Advertisement

Right so it seems the oil isnt getting that far, I opened the allen screw and there was no sign of oil at all. Any ideas on what to do next?

It certainly should come out - sometimes, if you only got a small amount of oil, there is not enough pressure to get it through. If you loosen the nut holding the burner in position and lift out the burner and put it down on the ground - you have lowered it and that might get the oil through. The other thing to try is the other allen screw (if you have an RDB) on the brass fitting facing you. If you loosen this and flick on the burner - put a cloth over the screw because, if the oil comes through, the pressure will be high and soak you. You might have to do this a few times - tighten the screw as soon as the oil comes through.
    You should maybe open the oil line before it goes into the pump to see if there is a blockage anywhere. Make sure that the fire valve is open - it can often close down - or sometimes the solder on the centre bit can give way and the valve closes.

In the country, charges can depend on the distance a service engineer has to travel to you. I will PM you with the name of a service guy in Killaloe.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

Had a very similar problem about a year or so ago also with an RDB burner. Got a delivery of Kero when it was very low but hadn't run out (unless it ran out that morning). Came home after it had been delivered during the day and no starting the burner. From past experience I knew how to bleed it but this didn't work this time.

I disconnected the fuel line from the burner completely to get it right down to ground level but still nothing flowed from the tank. There was 800 litres of kero in the tank so should have had plenty of head height/pressure to get the fuel flowing. Checked the filter etc and all was well there.

For a finish I figured it must have been an airlock in the fuel line. My solution was to connect a length of hose pipe onto the flexible fuel line and suck the fuel past the air lock. This worked but I don't know if I'd recommend it. Even the smallest drop of kero/diesel in your mouth is not the nicest experience...

Right just to give you an update, finally got some oil going through it but it still wouldnt start. At that point then I'd given up and called the service eng. but there was no answer at all. So this morning then I went back out to it, took the pipes off, got oil going where it should but still wouldn't fire.
    Left it a few hours and then bled it a bit more and finally started after a couple of attempts.
    Seems to be running fine since then, started and stopped a few times to make sure.
    Anything I need to watch out for from here?
    Also thanks a mil for all the help, couldnt have done it without you!

It's odd that the oil is not coming through faster. What you call a stopcock/ nozzle thing may be a fire valve (if it is near the burner - not the tank) This must be turned fully anti-clockwise. If it is turning freely and not stopping, then it might be faulty. You should see the threads on the spindle standing well proud of the handle. Sometimes the solder joint on the handle gives way and the valve shuts off. If there is a whining sound, enough oil is not getting through.
    Otherwise as long as there is no smoke from the vent, things are probably OK.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Anything I need to watch out for from here?
    !

Yeah, one thing, don't let the oil run out again :D

Advertisement