Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rochestown Rd

Options
  • 08-02-2008 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

Hi biys and girls,

i'm sure we all know shocking roads in our neighbourhoods or near them but i've got to say that the Rochestown rd is a f***king joke. it simply has to be THE roughest road in cork city, there are either potholes or enormous piles of tarmacadam all over the place.

as a newcomer to the area i have to find out who the local TD is and write a letter of complaint, the fingerpost roundabout is also slowly disintegrating with every heavy spell of rain. there is way too much traffic in the douglas/rochestown areas anyway, all day long it's just one occupant per car. maybe the road they are putting through tescos will help the situation but thats a while off yet.

thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Well I don't really think the road or roundabout are that bad but the traffic is terrible. I'd say a big reason for this is the bus service. We only have the 223 whis is infrequent, unpredictable and always packed. It's so packed that it often just drives past the Rochestown Road bus-stops. It does have to service the whole of Rochestown, Passage West, Monkstown, Shanbally and Ringaskiddy. Passage is growing every year too so it just gets worse!
    I read that there was a plan for a new bus to drive from town to Garraduff and then go back into town via Maryborough hill but I haven't heard anymore about it. I don't really think it's enough anyway, we really need our own frequent city bus that doesn't have to go via Maryborough hill.
    I don't really know if there are school buses available either but it certainly appears that there aren't! Most kids go into Douglas or town to school so they should really have their own bus.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Whelan contractors resurfaced Rochestown road two years ago (approx) and within 6 months the surface had deteriorated to a significant degree but yet the council seem to be reluctant to do anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,959 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The road from Douglas all the way to passage and beyond is dire, absolutely brutal... The problem is they can't really resurface it except in the summer when schools are closed, traffic is bad enough as it is...

I agree with previous poster about bus service, if there was a regular, reliable city service it would first of all stop having nearly every bus at peak times full (bus is normally full by Rochestown garage heading into town, and full at the bus station heading down along) and would possibly take some traffic off the road...

Other than that, i don't know what else that can be done to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

i wonder if the area was in a rough 'disadvantaged' suburb of the city would the roads be left in such a bad state for so long??

Sure anyone know the story with the proposed road works due to start 2 weeks ago on the road to Passage? There were signs up warning people to expect severe delays etc...and no sign of any work starting yet!!
    Are these the delays they were advising us about?? :mad:

c'mon jakey civil servants in the council, time to do some work.

Advertisement