Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfing fanore

Options
  • 08-02-2008 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi All
    Fanore is where I seem to do most of my surfing,
    generally 8-9 in the morning. Its a funny beach tho, as theres loadsof rocks n there can be a rip that takes you along the reef; I
    think this is more at play when the tide is low? when the tide is
    in, those big bleedin rocks in the middle of the beach are the main
    hazard. One of them stoped me in my tracks as I was on the green one
    time, then very scary tryin to get out of there with waves landin
    there. My sense is when full tide go out near the steps to the beach
    (still bit dodgy, as it's a narrow road in, n a bit of current takin
    you to the middle of the beach this time)n when the tide is out go out
    near the middle? I haven't gone further down the beach, after the
    river.
    I love to hear of others experience or ideas about where to surf on this
    beach. Theres a surf school there so they obviously think its safe
    enough. I wrote to em once but didn't hear back

Cheers

Patrick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

I’ve only surfed it the once but do remember some pretty random rocks strewn about the place.
    Take care and try to avoid surfing it on your own. I wouldn’t class it as a good place to learn if that’s what you’re doing. Lahinch or somewhere like that would be better, loads of lessons there.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 john_om_om

with a decent swell those rocks can create a pretty good wave at high tide! best thing to do is make a note as to where they are at low tide then try avoid them. when you start progressing you'll get comfortable surfing over them. if you do end up surfing over them and come off your board remember not to jump or dive downwards. nice beach when its on.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭patjunfa

I've been surfing there for a few years now, almost always by myself, as I've to go so early in the morning b4 work. I was surfin there on Monday morn, nice. I was in the section just down from the steps, where i thought there were no rocks n then got stoped in my tracks as I broke a fin hittin a rock:mad: I might try further down beyond the river. Seems dodgy tho, the rock potential, could have been my toes or my head:eek: Whats general advice with rocks? try not to go head 1st, cover yer head if ye do....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I was surfing in Fanore yesterday at high tide, there were only 2-3 others out and we were all at the far end of the beach, beyond the river. There's a narrow section down there relatively clear of rocks but there are still one or two big ones. I'd generally surf at Fanore at low tide when there's a lot more open space.

I dunno much about rock safety, I'm not a hugely experienced surfer. In a place like Fanore I'd try to check the area for rocks while paddling/wading out and then try to stick to the area that I know is clear. Pain in the arse of a thing to have to worry about but as you say a smack on the head or even leg from one of the big ones would be pretty awful. There's no really safe way to fall onto a rock if you are wiping out. Be careful if you're on your own out there.

As for the surf school, they put flags on the beach indicating "safe" areas while they are running lessons so thats something to look out for. They don't run any lessons at high tide though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

cornbb wrote: »
    As for the surf school, they put flags on the beach indicating "safe" areas while they are running lessons so thats something to look out for. They don't run any lessons at high tide though.

Theres a surf school in Fanore? by any chance do they rent out gear too?
    I wouldn't mind surfing there as its a bit closer to galway than lehinch.

• Advertisement

kodute wrote: »
    Theres a surf school in Fanore? by any chance do they rent out gear too?
    I wouldn't mind surfing there as its a bit closer to galway than lehinch.

There is indeed, and they rent and sell gear too: www.surfschool.tv

They were shut yesterday so maybe its only a summer thing.

I also travel from Galway and split my time between Lahinch and Fanore. Lahinch doesn't take too much longer to get to via Ennis tbh. Lahinch has stuff like pubs/restaurants and safer and more plentiful surf, but I like the beauty of Fanore and it can be really cracking on a good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Thats good to know, I like passing through Fanore on the way back from Lahinch just for the scenery on the coast road.
    Plus the N67 road quality is shocking!

Next time I'm up that way must check out the pub opposite the Post office in Fanore and see if their grub is up to O'Looney's standard! (or if they even do food!)

Don't want to move this thread OT but have you found any good spots in Galway? Out near Cliften would be less sheltered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 darrragh

there are two things you need to know about rocks in the surf

If you dont hit them , they wont hit you

and

its not the rocks you can see that you should be worried about

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I'm thinkin of giving Fanore a go this evening but I'll be alone, is there anyone down there in the evenings these days?
    If not I'll probably move onto Lahinch.

There'll surely be someone out on a great evening like this. There's a lovely offshore breeze blowing and the tide will be out later. Dunno if the swell is any good (probably not great) but apart from that its a great time to surf Fanore. Give it a try I'd say. I'd make the trip from Galway myself only I'm going windsurfing instead :D

• Advertisement

I'm going to swing by anyway. There's no rush getting to Lahinch since the tide will be out anyway.
    Hope to see someone down there.
    Swell is about 2ft in Lahinch.

The Fanore swell is usually fairly similar to Lahinch, it might not be great today but it can be very nice at low tide with an offshore breeze. Enjoy it anyway if you make it out.

Yes I can confirm it was delightful when the tide is out. It was way out yesterday evening and the footing was good and no rip of notice either.
    Swell was fine for beginners last night too. I'll definitely be using Fanore instead of Lahinch when the tide suits in future.

There were only a couple of surfers around to start but more arrived later around 7.30.
    Only 45mins from Galway city too :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 nutterz

might be a bit late, but I also surf in fanore beach. i would advise that you dont surf in or too close to the rocks, as from experience it can damage the board or you. when i go surfing there i always go between the river and the rocks on the public beach as there is normally good waves. also between the end of the public beach and where the rocks are, is a good spot also.

patjunfa- if you do have a "wipe out" i would say to cover head, with your two hands crossed covering your face, espically when there is rocks.

hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Wasn't there a post about spots and the hazards of each beach/reef etc was it removed because of too much information?

Think it would be handy for the basic well known spots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

keryl wrote: »
    Wasn't there a post about spots and the hazards of each beach/reef etc was it removed because of too much information?

Think it would be handy for the basic well known spots

No, it was all a bad dream. Now lets never speak of it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

:D lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That would be an ecumenical matter

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

move.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ben bennett

just a couple of comments on thread above and let me say i work and run surf school in lahinch just in case i get accused of having a vested interest.

lahinch is bigger than Fanore 90 % of the time, because it is more exposed to a wider range of swell directions (have a look at a map) except on a sw swell when it much the same , although Lahinch faces this swell a bit better.

Drove from galway to work for three years, quickest way to lahinch is via carren but bad road (60 mins) via ennis good road 75 minutes. Fanore 65 minutes. would alway drive to lahinch first as better option of better waves even if more people around.

fanore can be dumby on low tide as normally copple of strong sand banks (taught body boarding there for 3 years) for beginers need to avoid low (dumps) and high tides (rocks) and still doesnt give you that long white water ride you need as a beginner. not the best place as a beginner really and lack consisitancy

That said beautiful area, and great on a big swell and southerly winds particularly. have got some really nice days there, but they are few and far between. Peter runs a great school and give s lots of advice. alway quiet enough and beautiful when sun sets over the hills

• Advertisement

lol

It was controversial alright.

Nice advice Ben.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

the aran islands block a lot of swell too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ben bennett

thats right Aran Islands blocks anything coming from the north for Fanore

as for controversial not really, all is fact , these are the reasons why lahinch has more people surfing there, if the best waves were in fanore they would all be in fanore.

Hi

No not the advice, the topic of advising on spots in my earlier post. Someone caused a bit of a ruckus before in a previous pinned thread.

Advertisement