Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

to move out or not to move out?

• 08-02-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

i'm thinkin of movin out next year and living in shanowen square beside dcu... my problem is i dont know whether to pay for accomodation and go to dcu or stay at home and go to dit... basically, i guess im asking is the price of accomodation worth the experience of moving out or would it be better to save the money and stay at home?

thanksssss

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

My opinion is that anyone who goes to college without living away from home has missed a huge part of college life and growing up in general. You're in for a big surprise if the first time you move out of home is when you're in a job, or worse still when you buy. What are you saving for anyway.... get out there, learn to live by yourself and do all the grotty things that you get free at home like cleaning, cooking and washing clothes. You'll have plenty of fun, worry about saving money when you're old.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

markpb wrote: »
    My opinion is that anyone who goes to college without living away from home has missed a huge part of college life and growing up in general. You're in for a big surprise if the first time you move out of home is when you're in a job, or worse still when you buy. What are you saving for anyway.... get out there, learn to live by yourself and do all the grotty things that you get free at home like cleaning, cooking and washing clothes. You'll have plenty of fun, worry about saving money when you're old.

good point. the later you stay in your house the harder it is to move out. you get too cosy there. as the sayin goes you can waste your money and get it back but if you waste your time you cant get it back. might as well go out and have a laugh in college eh :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

definately move out-the parties in shanowen are class and you'll find it much easier to make friends in college when you live there.the people who commute just come in and out of college everyday and dont get involved in the full college experience. i lived away last year even though i could commute easily to dcu.had the time of my life, although be prepared to miss loads of lectures when ya dont have your mammy to get ya out of bed! and be prepared to be broke but youll learn how to have a night out on 30euro and still end up ****ed.go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

df1985 wrote: »
    and be prepared to be broke but youll learn how to have a night out on 30euro and still end up ****ed.go for it.

Jesus, 30 euro? I wouldn't spend that on a normal night out. Bierre D'Or it all the way and you wont spend near 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

is it easy to get a place in shanowen. i'd say the competition for it would be mad. and what other option would there be... on campus sounds terrible and i wouldnt know anyone to house share so it'd be a bit risky...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Jesus, 30 euro? I wouldn't spend that on a normal night out. Bierre D'Or it all the way and you wont spend near 30 euro

when i say 30euro i mean everything.
    10 cans of piss in spar across from dcu about 10-12 euro.
    last bus to town 1.50
    admission-average about 5euro
    shoulder of vodka in ur pants for inside-10.
    share taxi back to dcu-about 3 euro each.

thats 30euro!

do you mean a normal night as in a weekend night? how in gods name can ya have a saturday night on 30euro.i easily spend 100!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

conbob wrote: »
    is it easy to get a place in shanowen. i'd say the competition for it would be mad. and what other option would there be... on campus sounds terrible and i wouldnt know anyone to house share so it'd be a bit risky...

Apply in plenty of time and you should have no problem getting a place in one of the two Shanownen block. Res aint so bad once you learn how to avoid the Nazis running the place but Shanownen is a better bet. There's also a block of apartments at the Collins

Living with randomers in a house can be a bit hit and miss, sometimes it'll work out well and other times it'll be pants but I wouldn't call it risky. At best you'll make some of the best friends of your life and have some great nights in, at worse you'll hate the person you're living with because they hog the bathroom and refuse to do the dishes leaving you with nothing to eat your beans and toast on except well.. toast.

Advertisement