Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

evo 5 ?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi im thinking of getting an evo 5 but dont have any experience with evos anyone got any tips what to look for when your buying one also will they run on unleaded or do they need super unleaded thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

They run on unleaded...i use the maxol E5 in mine,
    its got a higher octane count, check for tappet noise when the engine is cold....great car once their maintained.....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if your serious about getting one, then join http://www.lancerregister.com/home.php?

and read around on the buying guide, it lists everything to look out for. also you may pick up a decent well maintained one from one of the members, which you know would of been looked after.

as for irish petrol, i would still recommend a remap. an EcuTek remap for irish petrol, will allow for boost upgrade etc etc and you will run about 350bhp on maxol E5 safely.

i recommend these for the remap : http://www.aiautosport.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Heavy on the juice.. high maintenance costs.. weak turbo's... go for a Honda Type-R :D

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

thanks for the help yeah ive made my mind up im definatly getting one just trying to find a decent one within my budget and will also go for a remap just to be safe as the petrol we get round isnt the best.

Dont like hondas :eek: rather go for and evo quicker car and got a bigger back seat as well lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

pmcf wrote: »
    .Dont like hondas :eek: rather go for and evo quicker car

Not on bendy roads :D;)

yeh there lovely cars, prefer the 4 myself, whats your budget, theres a nice clean white (5) one for sale near me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Heavy on the juice.. high maintenance costs.. weak turbo's... go for a Honda Type-R :D

where on earth did you get your info???

a full tank of petrol will get you about 150-170 miles (about €50-55)
    fair enough its heavy enough compared to a micra or something.

serviceing is every 4000miles, exactly the same as the honda integra type r i had before the evo. you change the oil, oil filter and your grand. there are things like AYC oil change which would approx be every 10000km in my experience.

once you uprate your plugs and put a decent air filter in you dont change them at every service.

as for the weak turbo comment, i dont know what to say on this one but your WRONG imo. an EcuTek remap and adjustment for 95 ron fuel or 99 ron fuel whatever you decide to use will allow your boost to be upped to 1.6 bar!

the evo 5 can take 1.7 bar of boost after that and you loose power because of the low ron in our petrol.

have a chat with johnny in Ai autosport and he will tell you exactly what you need to get for your car when you buy it.

Evo's are known alco's on the Juice.. And its heavy enough compared to a Type-R.. You dont have to go through the hassle and expense of new Ecu/remapping to use lower octaine petrol.....

Last track day i witnessed two evo 4's pulled over with thick smoke coming out of the exhaust.. After id passed them out on every corner that is! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jagged

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Evo's are known alco's on the Juice.. And After id passed them out on every corner that is! :D

Are you another one of these "My honda is the fastest and best car in the world people?????:rolleyes:)
    evo are alcos on juice????do you own one or have you just been told this?
    I own one and I get 250mls for a full tank of petrol on mixed journeys,
    so unless your type r does well over 300 mls for 50euros then dont put the OP off by using this as your arguement.

Type R is a cracking car dont get me wrong,Vtec is the job plus excellent handling, but as Kceire said they are far from cheap to run too if your planning to look after them properly

Eh no.. Evo's are 4 WD Turbo.. different class of car.. Never said the Type-R was faster!
    Evo is heavier on juice!!

For the best all rounder of daily driver plus performance, a V-Tec Honda is THE car to go for ..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i get 200 miles out of €40 euro petrol in my integra type r, but i drive it hard enough. if the op is looking at an evo i'm sure he/she is aware that its going to be heavy on juice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pmcf

yeh there lovely cars, prefer the 4 myself, whats your budget, theres a nice clean white (5) one for sale near me

i prefer the look of the evo 5 or 6 ive got about 13k dont want to really spend much more i prob get one in the north or in england as they cheaper over there.

yeah i was told that AI autosport are the fellas to go to so will be getting her remapped there and maybe a few more things done as well if i got any money left.

Advertisement