Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant seem to overclock CPU in bios menu. Any ideas????

Options
  • 08-02-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi, ive a fugistu-siemens D1325 board and a 2.4ghz s478 northwood P4 processor. Its a cheap setup and was looking to overclock the processor a bit, but theres no fsb settings or anything in the bios menu. Any ideas??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

They may have locked the bios. A lot of computer manufacturers do this. If they have I don't think there is a way for you to overclock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

O rite thanks, is there anyway of hacking bios'? Ive already flashed it with a patch to allow a higher fsb cpu to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

There is a program that might let you do it, I think it applys the overclock on startup but im not sure about this! Im trying to think of the name of the program and I cant hmmmm

should google it anyway!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

systool I think is what is being referred to above. Only problems are

1) No provision to increase voltage of Vcore
    2) Your board might not have a PCI/AGP/PCIE lock, meaning that the bus speed increases with the fsb. Not good.
    3) Theres also no RAM divider, so your ram may hit a wall very early too, unless you re-program the SPD chip to run at a lower stock speed.

You may also consider a pin mod for your CPU if you are brave.

TBH, you'd be better off getting an Abit ICH-7 than ar$ing around with the list above.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

dazftw wrote: »
    There is a program that might let you do it, I think it applys the overclock on startup but im not sure about this! Im trying to think of the name of the program and I cant hmmmm

should google it anyway!

Thinking of wpcredit or the like?

• Advertisement

Any idea how to use wpcredit?? Looks kinda hard:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Overclocking from inside the O/S is never a good idea. It would be best if you just change your motherboard to one witht he overlcocking options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Anti wrote: »
    Overclocking from inside the O/S is never a good idea. It would be best if you just change your motherboard to one witht he overlcocking options.

I disagree, I wouldn't say software OC'ing NEVER a good idea, YMMV. Sometimes it can work quite well.

I had a Gigabyte S775 board that came with some decent *(albeit a tacky interface) OC'ing software. The handy thing was that I could crack open orthos and speedfan, and play with the Vcore/FSB/RAM on the fly. Increase FSB 5mhz, watch temps and errors, temps OK and no errors, add 5mhz until you get errors, check temp, add Vcore, another 5Mhz etc etc, you get the idea. Only issue was that if you jumped more than 5mhz fsb at a time, it tended to hard lock. Once you found your OC you could "set at and forget it" tho

But this is with a board/chipset that had overclocking in mind, which admittedly is quite different to what the OP has, hence the mention of the good-ole IC7.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Try this.

But prepare for loads of restarts until you find your clock generator :D

Thanks, will try!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

BTW, I've tried clockgen before on a Dell & failed to have any luck with it. Good luck.

Advertisement