Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile games?

Options
  • 08-02-2008 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭

So yeah, I was thinking of getting that Doom mobile game for my Sony Erricson v630i. Has anyone here played it? What do you think?

Any other good mobile games to check out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Any game that requires a lot of input (FPS) is not suited to a moble phone, it's too fiddly.

Try puzzle games.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

So yeah, I was thinking of getting that Doom mobile game for my Sony Erricson v630i. Has anyone here played it? What do you think?

Any other good mobile games to check out?

Well, its.... fun....I enjoyed it, but then again my job was very, very boring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Doom RPG is the only game I have ever bought for my phone. It is good enough in short bursts, and a different / interesting take on the game. But compared to non-mobile games it is still not great.

In conclusion: best mobile game around. However, that is also like saying best STD around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, I know the mobile phone is hardly the best gaming solution, it's just something to kill a few minutes on the bus, or on the bog, you know. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, I know the mobile phone is hardly the best gaming solution, it's just something to kill a few minutes on the bus, or on the bog, you know. ;)

Well, it is certainly better than any pre-installed games, so for said purpose it'll be a decent purchase.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, I'll give it a whirl. ;)

Any other games worth checking out?

Fair enough, I'll give it a whirl. ;)

Any other games worth checking out?

Theres a pre-installed game on my sony ericsson calls JC does Texas which involves firing some dude from a cannon. Strangely addictive.

You could also play the "bluetooth strangers odd pictures of yourself" game, although that tends to get you arrested. Fun while it lasts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is it the Doom RPG? If it is, I've played it and it's ok. kept me busy for an afternoon and then I never touched it again.

If it's a different game then ignore this post.

humanji wrote: »
    Is it the Doom RPG? If it is, I've played it and it's ok. kept me busy for an afternoon and then I never touched it again.

If it's a different game then ignore this post.

Yeah, that's the one. ;)

It reminds me of old RPGs I used to play on the amiga way back in the day. Big buzz of reminiscing right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, in that case, I recommend it. I did enjoy it, and it does keep you hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

Doom RPG is pretty good. But most java games are of a poor standard, to be honest, the only 'real' gaming platform is Symbian - fully 3d games with Psone quality visuals. I play Carmageddon on mine all the time :D

That said though, there are some epicly good Java games around. Anything by Gameloft is usually worth a look, their games make the best of the platform and are of snes/megadrive quality - some good side scrolling beat em ups especially.

The best mobile Java game I've ever played is definitely Ancient Empires II. It's pretty much advance wars set in Medieval times, and has full campaign mode, skirmish mode with AI, etc, and the visuals are more or less comparable to Advance Wars to boot with colorful, detailed maps and units and animated battle sequences. Spent hours on end trying to beat that one. The first Ancient Empires is good as well but AEII is the one to go for.

http://media.wireless.ign.com/media/752/752749/imgs_1.html

Off the top of my head the best ones to go for would be Ancient Empires 2, Nightmare Creatures, Splinter Cell (any of the gameloft versions), Fatal Force....There are piles others but I just can't remember, been a while since I've played them. There's probably been dozens of releases since I last checked, Gameloft do all the movie tie ins, and pretty much have a game for every blockbuster you can think of from the past few years. Anything, as a rule, by Gameloft or Elkware is decent enough, though the latter can be hit and miss. I don't think I've ever played a bad Gameloft game to be honest, just like playing a good 16-bit game....people tend to dismiss mobile gaming far too easily just because they don't know anything about it. It is a viable platform and with the right developer you can make some excellent games. Check out some cool games on Gamelofts website:

http://www.gameloft.co.uk/mobile-games/might-and-magic-2/

http://www.gameloft.co.uk/mobile-games/might-and-magic-2/

http://www.gameloft.co.uk/mobile-games/beowulf-the-mobile-game/

http://www.gameloft.co.uk/mobile-games/real-football-2008/

I'm not trying to mindlessly shill Gameloft, but they're by far the best Java developer for mobiles and really give you an example of how good mobile gaming can be.

If your really looking for something to play on the bus, get a Nokia symbian phone, old 6680's go for about 50-60 euro second hand and are still seriously nice phones and better then a lot of the crap out there. Endless amount of games for that platform...the actual proper version of Doom, Carmadgeddon, Duke Nukem 3d, Brothers in Arms 3d, etc, not to mention the ability to run emulators etc.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Nokia-6680-UNLOCKED-1GB-Memory-Sat-Nav_W0QQitemZ280199808065QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the response The Queen. I would agree with you about dismissing mobile gaming, it's not going to beat a game of Battlefield 2, but it's certainly a platform with possibilities for recreating those games of old, like what the Doom RPG seems to have done.

I wouldn't be interested in getting a new phone or the like, might as well just get a DS if I'm spending money, you know what I mean? Anyway, I'll keep plugging at Doom, and I'll keep Ancient Empire II in mind if I want something else. A good oldschool RPG like I'd have played on the Amiga is well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeap the 2 ancient empire games are fantastic, its exxentially advance wars on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Definitely DEFINITELY get Sonic Jump if you're a fan of the old series.
    I have it and it is the 1st decent mobile game I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The original Prince of Persia game (with upgraded graphics to the original) is available and a lot of fun if you used to play that way back when.

There's a Command and Conquer 3 game which is alright if you like that sort of thing. Works a lot better than I expected it to.

Worms is fantastic when you're looking to waste 5 mins, on the bog particularly. I've lost count of the number of times I've played that now.

I really enjoyed the Scarlotti and Splinter Cell games too.

Advertisement