Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wasn't thinking - now stuck with agp

Options
  • 09-02-2008 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

ok - about 4 months ago I bought a x1950 pro 512Mb graphics for the pc for some better graphics. It went with my p4p800x mb (soc478), 1G PC3200 ram (really sounds ancient after reading other posts here!).

lately the pc is just chugging along during the likes of BF2 and COD4, and even general application opening/switching etc seems to be slower and loading times are crap for games, so I'm starting to get GAS !

I'm willing to spend a few quid on an upgrade. I already have an Intel chip (core 2 duo) but I may have to take a hit on the graphics as I can't find a decent mb (soc775) with AGP. Are there any future proof 775 boards out there with AGP?

If I do have to buy another graphics card, I'll prob just build a complete new system and network the two of them. I like the look and reviews of the 8800GT.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't think anything with agp would be considered futureproof. A new motherboard would only cost you about €100 or so. 4GBs of ram would cost you around €100 as well. An 8800gt can be got on ebay for around €180 (I think) or you could get one on komplett for around €200.

Here's some links:

Motherboard - €82: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=335498
    Memory - €104: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333974
    8800gt - €198: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343193

So that's upgrades you to a fairly high end system for about €400 if you use components from your existing system. I just did a quick search on komplett there, I'm sure if you look about you could probably save a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Careful now... that's a 256mb 8800gt. I assume (for €22 extra) you meant to link to a 512mb version: [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

thanks for the replies folks - I'll prob have a few more questions over the next couple of days as I figure out what to buy.

Here's my first question - would you really notice the difference between a graphics card with 256mb and one with 512mb ?? where would you notice the difference? application launching, game loading times? and is there a significant difference? does it depend heavily on the other components?

...did I say a 'few' questions !!?? Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

DonalN wrote: »
    thanks for the replies folks - I'll prob have a few more questions over the next couple of days as I figure out what to buy.

Here's my first question - would you really notice the difference between a graphics card with 256mb and one with 512mb ?? where would you notice the difference? application launching, game loading times? and is there a significant difference? does it depend heavily on the other components?

You will only really notice the difference when playing at your highest res. And then you want a good cpu and ram too. So basicialy... No... not really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

Yeah id say unless you're planning on playing well above 1280x1024 just stick with the 256mb gt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

You could do it for under €300 delivered

2048MB DDR2 Corsair TwinX CL 4, PC6400/800 €42

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VVPPSSXq-0Sn5/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=7265&agid=599

ABIT IP35E, Sockel 775 Intel P35 €68

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VVPPSSXq-0Sn5/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=46&agid=659

XFX GeForce 8800GS 580M, 384MB DDR3 €136

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7VVPPSSXq-0Sn5/3/articledetail.jsp?aid=19899&agid=394

€274 delivered

4gig ram is needed yet imo, at least not for a budget build, much better of spending extra on cpu/graphics...

Motherboard is decent, not the best one out there, but its P35, fast, nice layout and overclockers very well...Its also compatible with the new 45nm CPUs that are just out...

8800gs is faster than the 256mb 8800GT in some games (Crysis) and keeps up with it in every other game, not bad for €135

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=20037&t=174051

ok folks - thanks for the replies so far.
    I've been thinking about my options, and I'm starting to think of a completly new build instead of just upgrading my current one.
    If I'm going to be changing the mobo, cpu, graphics and I need a new hdd anyway, then i may aswell go the whole hog and stick it all in a new case. I can reuse the dvd drive and the dvd burner.

Another question for ye: Are there many of ye out there who keep your old system running beside a new build? Maybe networking the two of them? Is there any advantage to doing this, or is it just a personal thing where you can have more apps going at once. I already have a decent KVM switch for switching between the two pcs.

Anyway, for the new build (maybe!) I've come up with this spec:

Antec Sonata III Miditower, Black*w/500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, P35, Socket-775,*ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH9, PCI-Ex1

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2*16MB 7200RPM
    Crucial DDR2 PC6400 2048MB CL6,*Unbuffered,1.8V,256Meg x 64, 240pin
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3, SC,*PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, with CRYSIS

As you can see, the graphics card comes with Crysis which I had planned on buying sometime in the future

The above comes to €616 on komplett - I haven't checked the other sites yet.

What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

ok folks - thanks for the replies so far.
    I've been thinking about my options, and I'm starting to think of a completly new build instead of just upgrading my current one.
    If I'm going to be changing the mobo, cpu, graphics and I need a new hdd anyway, then i may aswell go the whole hog and stick it all in a new case. I can reuse the dvd drive and the dvd burner.

Another question for ye: Are there many of ye out there who keep your old system running beside a new build? Maybe networking the two of them? Is there any advantage to doing this, or is it just a personal thing where you can have more apps going at once. I already have a decent KVM switch for switching between the two pcs.

Anyway, for the new build (maybe!) I've come up with this spec:

Antec Sonata III Miditower, Black*w/500W PSU
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, P35, Socket-775,*ATX, GbLAN, DDR2, ICH9, PCI-Ex1

Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB SATA2*16MB 7200RPM
    Crucial DDR2 PC6400 2048MB CL6,*Unbuffered,1.8V,256Meg x 64, 240pin
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB GDDR3, SC,*PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, with CRYSIS

As you can see, the graphics card comes with Crysis which I had planned on buying sometime in the future

The above comes to €616 on komplett - I haven't checked the other sites yet.

What do ye think?
    Its a nice build.Although the 512mb 8800gt might be overkill depending on what resolution you normally play at. Im not very trusting of those psu's that come bundled with cases though.Ive had a bad experience with one. That'd be my only real gripe with the above setup.

Virgil° wrote: »
    the 512mb 8800gt might be overkill depending on what resolution you normally play at. Im not very trusting of those psu's that come bundled with cases though.

Well DonalN did say he wanted to get Crysis so don't think the 512 8800gt will be overkill for that, at least. IIRC the Sonata 3 with 500W PSU is meant to be an alright combo - check some reviews to be sure though.

the monitor I have is a Syncmaster 914v which has a max resolution of 1280x1024 and i have no real plans on upgrading it in the near future.

the 8800GT can do 2560x1600, so is this overkill?

This build will hopefully last a good few years and I suppose I'm trying to future-proof as much as possible.

• Advertisement

Depends on the level of effects you want to enjoy.

From legitreviews.com

crysis_1280.jpgcrysis_1600.jpg

EDIT: just realized the second chart is at a higher resolution. So you can expect even better performance from medium GFX at the lower rez.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

the monitor I have is a Syncmaster 914v which has a max resolution of 1280x1024 and i have no real plans on upgrading it in the near future.

the 8800GT can do 2560x1600, so is this overkill?

This build will hopefully last a good few years and I suppose I'm trying to future-proof as much as possible.

Graphics card is not overkill, Crysis will push it...

What cpu do you have?

The sonata III case is kinda small a 8800gt will fit kinda thightly and you wont be able to put in anything bigger in there, so i would loose it..

Komplett are a rip off too....

Advertisement