Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Datamodem Setup Help

Options
  • 09-02-2008 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Hello,

A friend gave me a laptop to look at, he had 3 broadband working away fine for a couple of weeks and then it stopped. Unfortunately ive no idea how it works compared to normal broadband. I was trying to install it on my own pc which has esat broadband running to see if it setup ok, it installed fine and when i click on the desktop icon it i brang up the 3 datamodem hsdpa page but the connect button is greyed out and the signal thing is blank.

Will this modem work on any pc or does it need special passwords etc?
    If i ununstall it and reinstall it on the other pc will it lead to password/config problems?
    Does it create another LAN in the Networking Connections section or does it run off the same LAN as my esat broadband?
    If im testing it on my pc with esat running will i have to disconnect?

The setup on the problem pc is weird. It has 3datamodem HASPA in the Dialup section which is obviously wrong so i deleted this.
    It has 3 Lans
    1) Local Area Connection Realtek RTL8139/810X family (It says Network Cable Unplugged)
    2) 1394 network Adaptor
    3) Wireless Network Connection 2 Broadcom 802.11/g wlan

I can connect via no 3 to my modem, it detects the modem and connects.

Any ideas where to start, its windows xp BTW?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

3, O2 and Vodaphone Mobile 3G/HSDPA is in fact a type of high speed dialup. Not Broadband at all in sense of DSL, Cable, Metro etc..

It technically would be in Dialup section and the three LANs you mention are LANs, though 1394 is usually disabled for LAN and used for Camcorders.

lans = Local Area Network, a network in your house or office.
    1) = ethernet cable RJ45 type connector
    2) = Firewire/iLink Networking cable
    3) = WiFi local wireless

Dialup and other direct Internet connection are WAN, HSDPA USB modem will never be in LAN section.

Cable, Metro and DSL (Actually WAN) can *SEEM* to be LAN as a LAN ethernet connection is used to connect to the Modem/Router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

If you have deleted this connection then it is likely that you will need to re-install the software again. Watty is correct in saying to you that the connection should appear in your dial-up section.

The drivers and software should install automatically when you plug in the modem, just be sure to let it completely finish before you try and connect.

If the installation fails to start then download the drivers from here: http://www.three.ie/broadband/drivers.htm

3 have coverage that can be described as problematic at best.

Lastly, check and ensure that the bill has been paid, they are ruthless about cutting you off for non-payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭dvdfan

Thanks for clearing that up Watty, since i solved the problem which isnt obvious and hard to find on their website ill post it here for others that have the same problem.

If there is no signal icon in the top left (similar to mobile phones) then you must go into settings (The 2 wheel icon), then choose > manual choose network and search and choose 3(3g) option then click register

Then you should have the signal appear and then just click the big blue connect button and your in

You probably dont need to do this everytime, just if your having problems its worth trying as it solved it for me anyway so i taught id put it out there

Advertisement