Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Expected New Car Price Lists July 08

Options
  • 09-02-2008 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

Here it is at long last, all done, and all in one place(well sort of), rather than the old system in the VRT sticky where they were kind of all over the place.

Includes BMW Automatic models as well - something I left out the last time.

And some makes have had price hikes/adjustments, Audis have completely changed, and some of the new engines I cited in my original Excel file are now on sale, so I put in the prices for these, Toyota have also revised the prices for the 1.6 Avensis(because ESP is now standard on these, or VSC as Toyota likes to call it), so it is all now appropriately updated.

And the VRT calculations are done using OMSP at 92% in all cases bar a few which I mentioned, another improvement as the last time most didn't have an OMSP calculation, plus all the columns have different colours so it is more legible, cause I know looking at a sea of black is hard to read.

The only thing that is not there is prices for the Fiat 500, if someone has them, then tell me either here or via PM. And similarly with the Focus, they are for the Mk2 Focus rather than the Mk3 Focus, as with the 500, PM me with the new prices.

I know that we are normally not allowed to edit our posts after 2 days, but can the moderators make an exception this one time, as there will doubtless be new models introduced between now and July, there is the new BMW X6, there are new engine additions to the 3 and 1 series ranges(plus BMW have to have their annual price hike yet too, and I'm sure others will be "adjusting" prices as well but fear not, we'll have to do our best and see who is doing what), and there will be the new C5 and Superb as well, I'm sure I have left out something, plus the fact that someone will no doubt find errors in my calculations, so if they do, please let me know!

EDIT: now includes comments, just to give people an idea of what they can expect to find(sorry, I know this is an extremely long post)
    Some of the savings/increases are quite dramatic here.

A 316i ES after July will cost more than a 318i ES after July(36,098 for the 316i, compared to 35,975 for the 318i)!

A 123d will drop it's price by at least €7,080.

A 118d could be as much as €7,431 cheaper(E87 118d M Sport manual).

A 520d will fall by over 9 grand if you choose an M Sport version with a manual gearbox.

A straight 6 3.0 litre 325i will fall by over €4,780 if you buy an M Sport Coupé Automatic.

If you want an M5 it will cost you at least €12,075 more after July!

A 760Li will increase in price by at least €15,877, and that's before you add options to it.
    I was wondering when I did the BMW one how the Government was going to make money on the new VRT scheme because so many BMWs were getting a huge discount, but I got my answer with the Audis today. A 2.0 TDI A6 Avant is in the same VRT category as a 3.0 BMW 530i Touring. The rival 520d is in the 16% VRT category(140 g/km). A 530d will pollute less CO2 than the A6(176 vs 178), so with the BMW you can have a 3.0 straight 6(petrol or diesel by the way) for no more tax than a 2.0 4 cylinder Audi.

The A5 V6 diesels are in the 32% VRT, compared to the 330 and 325d BMWs, which are in 24% and 20% respectively.

The A3 diesels do as well as the 1 series petrols(and diesels). The 'e' versions match equivalent BMWs(in fact the A8 2.8 FSI e is the Greenest luxury car you can buy, petrol or diesel or hybrid, nothing can beat it's CO2), so hopefully Audi will offer more of them in the future.

The new A4 is a big improvement on CO2 compared to the old one.

I think for the moment BMW won't have too much to worry about anyway(Audis seem to be the next best after BMW for CO2 emissions)!
    A diesel Auris,Corolla or Avensis can be had for shag all more than the basic petrol, so I presume Toyota are going to be following BMW's lead with the 3 series and ditch the 1.6 Avensis soon enough.

1.6 Avensis Aura after July, €26,415, 2.0 D-4D Avensis Aura €26,807 or €392 more. Considering that the diesel will cost at least €310 a year to run(290 road tax vs 600 for the 1.6), you're already down to €82 at the very most for the privilege of running a diesel over a year, and that's before you even drive them a mile.

A base diesel Corolla will cost you only €622 more to buy, but when you factor in road tax for a year, you're paying just €342 at the very most extra for the diesel in a year.

A base Auris diesel costs €645 more to buy over the 1.4 after July, and again after 1 years' road tax, the premium goes down to €365.

These are all before the better resale values diesels traditionally enjoy and the superior fuel economy.

I don't think Toyota are going to be bothering importing petrol 1.4 Corollas and 1.6 Avensis' specially for us for a lot longer!
    Ford seems to be similar enough to Toyota.
    Honda Civic is an excellent performer it must be said... they(non Hybrid ones) give you BMW EfficientDymanics style low emissions, as long as you stick with the hatchback and avoid the Type-R.
    And the Focus prices are for the Mk2 Focus, a Mk3 is on the way very shortly(I don't have the prices for the Mk3 Focus), and as it is almost mechanically identical to the Mk2, so the prices should be viewed as a good guess for July(excluding the 1.6 TDCi 90 PS whose emissions are going down to 118 g/km for the Mk3 and hence 14% VRT).
    Of course we already know that the VRT savings on the Punto aren't going to be fully passed on, but I put in what they should be costing in July anyway!
    Includes the i30, and as the Trajet and a couple of other models have been discontinued, these don't feature unsurprisingly.
    I can see where the Government might make money in this new VRT scheme actually, up to now I've been wondering, but the truth is that once you go beyond the Avensis size, things take a dramatic turn for the worse in terms of VRT, BMW excluded. Even I never realised how beneficial EfficientDynamics is, like the 530i does 178 g/km for CO2, but a diesel Jag XF does 199 g/km or in other words a 3.0 petrol BMW with 272 bhp is better on emissions than a 2.7 diesel Jag with 204 bhp.

If you're getting an XF, and from what I've heard it is meant to be a great car, even the best in the class according to some, hurry hurry hurry and get one before you're contributing €2k a year to the Government on road tax alone in the case of the 3.0 petrol. FWIW a 3.0 530i would be €1400 cheaper to tax than an XF 3.0 after July, and €400 cheaper than even the diesel.
    Here is the expected price list - unsurprisingly all bar one model are in the 36% VRT. If people keep buying 4X4s in the numbers they currently do, the loss in money from people switching to diesel in the Focus/Avensis etc segment is going to be somewhat compensated by the gains in VRT in many 4X4s!
    Includes the new Cee'd, and a couple of models I've never heard of before!
    As you will see this much talked about Hybrid technology isn't so wonderful at all in big cars, all these supposedly green hybrids are all in Bands E&F, the second and third dirtiest bands for VRT, and in the case of the GS hybrid, a 3.0 BMW 5 series petrol is actually better on CO2, never mind the diesel.
    Includes the new Mazda2 and Mazda6. The petrols are very good for CO2 in this car, even the 2.0 gets into 24% VRT, so if you want a petrol family saloon with a bit of poke, here's one that will be very reasonable to run! I notice that a lot of the diesels are still going to be quite a bit dearer than their petrol counterparts to buy here too, and if you want a CX-7 or an RX-8, buy one before it's too late, the RX-8 is going up by €6,700 minimum!
    There are no less than 543 different Mercs available/will be available very soon.

They are going to get clobbered on emissions, the most popular 4 cylinder Kompressor models are mostly in the 32% VRT band compared to 25% now, the 6 pot petrols are by and large in 36% VRT, all I can say is that the CGI technology can't come fast enough before Mercs get ridiculously overpriced(I always thought they were overpriced anyway), even the 4 cylinder diesels are attracting 24 and 28% VRT.

They offer a stupendous amount of cars that pollute more than 225 g/km of CO2(therefore 36% VRT), again as I've said before, I can see where the Government are going to make money on this scheme!
    Here is the MINI one, and as befits a model with EfficientDynamics, the emissions of the hatch and Clubman are very low indeed.

The Cabrio is still the original BMW MINI, and no ED plus cheap engines from Chrysler = as much as 199 g/km from a 1.6!
    Nothing really odd about it, other than they finally have given up on selling the Almera, and the Primera is now history too!
    Includes the most up to date CO2 for the Qashqai 1.5 dCi.

The latest models are actually 139 g/km and therefore 16% VRT. Thanks to those people in the Nissan Qashqai thread!
    I notice that the diesels in a lot of their cars aren't terribly green. 24% VRT for Vectra and some Astra diesels is quite high it must be said. And the nations favoured Astra, the 1.4 will be one of the few 1.4s to get a tax cut, from 22.5% VRT to 20% VRT. The Corsa has plenty of low CO2 emitters though, including a 14% VRT diesel.

I included the Vectra, not really sure why as it is being replaced by the new Insignia soon, though I don't know when exactly it is being replaced, but it might well be gone by July.
    Includes the new 308. I didn't bother with the 307, even though officially it is still for sale, but it should be gone pretty soon.

Unsurprisingly all the Porsches bar 1 or 2 attract the maximum 36% VRT.

The Peugeots are similar enough to rivals, though the 407 petrols are a bit on the high side for the old CO2!
    The new TSI technology might have been great under the old system of engine size, but it's bad under the new system, a 170 Golf TSI now finds itself in the same VRT category as the Golf GTI, and in the new Tiguan 1.4 TSI 170 with a slush box is 36% VRT, the most dramatic jump possible under the new system.

Though the new 122 bhp version is nice and low on CO2, certainly lower than most rival's 1.4s and certainly the 1.6s. The diesels are good too, and the new Bluemotion models should prove to be very popular depending on how VW price them. If the pre tax price of these is only a small bit higher than the non Bluemotion versions, they should work out cheaper, and they provide BMW EfficientDynamics style low emissions!
    One thing that struck me as I did this one is how big a gap there is between the Renault petrols and diesels. Normally if say a petrol is in 24%, then the diesel is in 20% or maybe on a few occasions, 16%, and then in the Laguna size the petrols are usually in 28%, and the diesels are in 24 or 20% in certain cases. Here though, the gaps are simply massive, that 1.5 dCi is very low indeed on CO2, in the Mégane, you'd be talking about 24% VRT for a petrol 1.4, yet the 1.5 dCi manages to get in in the 14% VRT category. The petrols are no worse than rivals, but the smaller diesels are very good indeed. The days of the 1.6 Laguna I think it is very safe to say will be numbered very soon.

I also included models that aren't on sale here(I took an educated guess as to what they might bring in tbh), because the emissions are so low that they should be a lot more affordable after July on the VRT, and also there are a surprising amount of Renaults that don't offer a paraffin stove option where rivals do offer a paraffin stove option.
    For a company that is Swedish, you would think they would be making more of an effort to keep emissions down(since Sweden is big into low emissions and all that left wing stuff), but they are no better nor worse than anyone else in the S40/V50/C30, but the bigger models struggle compared to BMW for example, though the 2.0D and D5 models aren't too bad at all.
    Saabs lifeline of Biopower models is about to disappear very soon, just as well they have frugal enough diesels which as it turns out should come close enough to the FFVs on price(though there is a lot less power, although more torque and a lot more mpg).

As for Seat, all I can say is using some of the older engines in the VAG range has it's consequences, and they're not good!
    Not really sure if there was a lot of point in putting in prices for the Superb when I know the new one is due to première in March, but I suppose anyone who wants to import one from the UK might find it useful.
    I like the look of the Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport, 143 g/km, 20% VRT, €290 road tax a year and 125 bhp in a supermini isn't a bad idea at all!

Of course the Ssangyongs don't fare too well unsurprisingly with their largish engines(well large for Ireland I mean really) and plus they sell mostly 4X4s.

Subarus were always noted for being thirsty, and the CO2 figures prove it, though the new Boxer diesel engine is as good as any rival diesel, so it will be a very wise addition to their range whenever it makes it here!
    If a lot of the above looks familiar, that's because it is mostly a copy and paste job from the individual VRT files in the main VRT sticky!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The first of 2 parts - the file was too big on it's own so had to be split in 2 to upload it!

And here is part 2, I'll post my observations on it tomorrow afternoon after us probably losing to France in the rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Mods - promote this man to Legendary status immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That's a lot of work done, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Brilliant.

Fair play to you for taking the time to produce that file. Respect.

Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks for all the hard work, E92. I've just downloaded your files and attached them to the first post in the sticky as promised!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shanenchd

Wow! Fair play E92 - outstanding work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Thanks for that, excellent work. I got a discount of €5k on my Ford Galaxy Ghia, it would have cost an extra €1,200 after July 1st :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

5 stars for you dude great work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭opus

Great work E92, thanks a lot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

Fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jonno23

Well done E92, that's a lot of hard work for which we'll all benefit from, respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

That is some job you've done there E92.

The E92 M3 really gets stung by the changes. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Brilliant! Well done E92.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

Thank you E92-you are a legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Well done and many, many thanks!

Re new cars.....when is a new model BMW 5 series due i.e 2009,2010,2011 or later?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Well done E92. Lot of hard graft in that. Great initiative.

port wrote: »
    Re new cars.....when is a new model BMW 5 series due i.e 2009,2010,2011 or later?

2010 at the earliest I'd say, and late 2010 at that.

The current one came out in late 03, and the previous one came out in early 96, so that was a gap of 8 years, usually BMWs have a 7-8 year life cycle, with a facelift about halfway(although the 5 series got it's facelift last March, which is earlier than normal for a BMW).

And PS thanks to everyone so far for your positive comments. Believe me they are much appreciated:).

Does anyone agree with me when I suggest that this thread should be a sticky(a separate one to the main VRT sticky as well)? I don't want it slipping off the radar and going into oblivion, cause then no one will know and then we won't know who's making cars cheaper and who isn't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

E92 wrote: »
    Does anyone agree with me when I suggest that this thread should be a sticky(a separate one to the main VRT sticky as well)? I don't want it slipping off the radar and going into oblivion, cause then no one will know and then we won't know who's making cars cheaper and who isn't?

I'll second that, I'm sure most would agree. Again, major kudos...

I'll be sending a link to mates of mine who are thinking of changing within the next few months. Helps prevent the stealers from pulling the wool over our eyes...

Any chance boards.ie might reward this man? As they say in web dev circles 'content is king' - and you've created a real nugget with these spreadsheets...

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wonder if any newspapers will be publishing similar tables?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Wonder if any newspapers will be publishing similar tables?

i think the newspapers will be contacting E92 for advice LOL

well done man, great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Credit where credit's due. That's an excellent Excel sheet, you really put in a lot of time and effort!

Well done E92. :)

Now updated to include 500 pricing(complete with it's super low CO2 emissions) and includes new engine additions due to the Bravo, as well as the CO2 data for the brand new C5(the engines mentioned are those that are mentioned on Citroen's website,so I assume that they will offer those mentioned here).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Wow, fair dues to you!

Much appreciated!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Wow, Well done E92, there is going to be a serious shift in the cars we see registered after July!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Can the mods have this as a sticky please.

This is a great piece of information.

Well done E92. Its time that the consumers started fighting back.

I wonder will this appears in the newspapers though.

Maybe you should have a disclaimer in case some journalist tries to use it.

O I see there is a disclaimer on the top of each excel sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

Yep fair play E92

• Advertisement

I agree that this info should be on a seperate sticky,its great information but will be of little use if it cant be found.

Advertisement