Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chez K's

• 09-02-2008 3:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

WTF? it closed down?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Not a bit surprised from all reports the food was sh*te , theres a sign up in the window saying anybody with vouchers can use them in the spinnaker in Dunmore up to the end of May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

is the wine vault closed aswell, heard somebody saying that yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

emo!! wrote: »
    is the wine vault closed aswell, heard somebody saying that yesterday

Think the restaurant side of the business is closed, and they are going to concentrate on the wine side only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

The restaurant situation in Waterford is awful. I tried out the new one in the Forum and it was dissappointing.. like having dinner in a bingo club. I thought Chez K's was nice! Pricey though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I always thought the food was OK in Chez K's but the service was lousy. It always took too long between courses.
    I remember looking at the menu once and saw Bangers and Mash for about €22, now I know it was not your ordinary supermarket sausages but I thought that was a bit steep. Maybe their prices were too high.
    It's a shame to see so many restaurants close especially in that area of the city, Wine Vault, 33 The Mall, Bowery and now Chez K's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Shite, I loved the steak there. Haven't eaten there in a while, but last time I was there it wasn't too busy, so I suppose it was coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

It's a pity it went, food was grand if a bit pricey. Biggest trouble I could see was it's location - too far from the town for people who were going for dinner pre/post cinema/theatre or whatever (well it's not farto walk, but it's out of the way in comparison to the centre IYKWIM) and the lack of parking outside. I know there's plenty of onstreet parking on the mall and down the end of canada street, but there are some people who won't walk further than 10 ft from their car to the door.

There are virtually no decent restaurants in Waterford, I have this problem every time we want to go out for a nice meal for a celebration, and spend about an hour driving round trying to think of somewhere decent that we both agree on.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

we went to chez k's for a birthday celebration(meal), no wonder the place has closed, the food itself was decent enough, we had a group of 17, gaps of 30-40 mins between meals, some people had gone half way through their main course and others were still waiting on their veg, most of us said we will never go back there, sure they have taken that option away !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think there's loads of restaurants in the town expecially when you take into consideration all the hotels as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I learned of it's planned closure at the beginning of the year and wasn't surprised. In recent times, the increased competition in the high-end restaurant sector in Waterford (Sabai, La Palma and a few others) coupled by Chez K losing some of their chefs followed by unfavourable reviews have led to its demise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is Chez Ks the one down by The Park? Iv heard a good few bad reviews about that from peple.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Sully wrote: »
    Is Chez Ks the one down by The Park? Iv heard a good few bad reviews about that from peple.

Thats the one alright. It had gone really downhill over the past 18 month before it closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

in fairness I don't think it was anywhere near the top. my parents went for dinner a couple times there and on one occassion they got there main course before they're starters on another occassion they had just ordered and were asked to leave 'cause they need the table for the next sitting. on both occasions they never got an apology

How about we set up a little Waterford Boards review group! Anytime we go for dinner somewhere in the city, we put the basics of it up here.. i.e.
    Bobs Restaurant.. 2 people.. early bird.. €50.. 7/10.. Watch out for the cheesecake, its lovely etc.

Hmm.. new thread methinks!? Ya think its an idea Sully?! It'd be good to share our restaurant experiences! (I sound like a councellor lol)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Think its a great idea Trotter. Keep it city only though.

Sully wrote: »
    Think its a great idea Trotter. Keep it city only though.

Thats a roger Roger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

echosound wrote: »
    There are virtually no decent restaurants in Waterford
    Trotter wrote: »
    The restaurant situation in Waterford is awful.

Savannah, Bodéga, Emiliano's, Espresso, La Palma, Tuk Tuk Thai, L'Atmosphère, Limeleaf, La Bohème, Johnny Fan's, Zaks in Ferrybank, Bellissmo in Ardkeen, Fitzpatrick's on the Cork Road, Beckett's in Knockboy. All superb IMO.

I could go on, and we haven't started on the county yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Brian Hitch

I learned of it's planned closure at the beginning of the year and wasn't surprised. In recent times, the increased competition in the high-end restaurant sector in Waterford (Sabai, La Palma and a few others) coupled by Chez K losing some of their chefs followed by unfavourable reviews have led to its demise.

I would never, by nature, be an argumentative person :D but i must disagree with some of your points. Since a new head Chief was installed in Chez K's last April, it has received some very favourable reviews.

Last November it received a Bridgestone award and also appeared in Georgina Campells Guide to Ireland, who included in her review......

"although this is conventional food, it is cooked by someone who appreciates the value of taste and contrasts on the plate"

Now I will agree that the service was a tad sloppy (this in my opinion is due to a bad manager not chief) and location may have done more harm to the business than bad quality food!!!!!!:eek:

I ate in there a few times and found the food great, when it eventually got to me!!!!

I would be happy to visit any restaurant that Mr. G ends up in as long as he does not bring his floor staff with him :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

Now I will agree that the service was a tad sloppy (this in my opinion is due to a bad manager not chef)

I would be happy to visit any restaurant that Mr. G (who's MrG?) ends up in as long as he does not bring his floor staff with him :rolleyes:

Have to agree about the floor staff - once ordered a half bottle of wine, which he didn't have, so he put a full bottle of the same on table, and then removed it when he estimated it was 'half' gone.... :rolleyes:

Maybe they closed 'cus the lease was up, or something like that... ?

Minfadlek wrote: »
    Have to agree about the floor staff - once ordered a half bottle of wine, which he didn't have, so he put a full bottle of the same on table, and then removed it when he estimated it was 'half' gone.... :rolleyes:

Maybe they closed 'cus the lease was up, or something like that... ?

Sorry I dont mean to laugh but that is the funniest thing I have ever hear. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Its like the scene from The Snapper (think it was that anyway) when Colm Meaney's take-away guy takes a bite out of a burger when the young man is short money to pay for it!!!!!!

My partner, a friend and I when there and had to ask 3 times for our wine and got our cutlery after my steak was served but apart from that it was great. Music was a little too loud also, good, but loud!!!

Mark Gunnip was the name of the head chief in Chez K's. Niall Edmondson, who owns The Spinnaker is Dunmore East maybe thought it was a good idea to sell now after it had won all those awards and after they had been very busy during the weeks b4 Christmas. I have family in Dunmore and that is what I heard. A place like that would have a small turn over for the amount of money spent on it. The Spinaker is all pub grub (served fast, with new sitting every half hour) and would be making probable more in three days than Chez K's would make in a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭freebird23

wasnt chez ks owned by the same people who own the cove bar (the kavanaghs) as far as i know they have stopped selling food for a few weeks and its gonna be leased to niall edmonson formly of chez ks and one can only guess that he will bring trhe help of the former chef from chez ks also. apparently he is only leasing the food operation from them. i thought the food was pretty good in the cove and they just stopped all of a sudden. it seems to be a trend in waterford with so many places closeing down is the cove on the way out too.

I doubt there gonna close The Cove so soon, its been closed for ages and they only just re-opened it!

i know there not open long but i was in there a while ago and they had a carvery on a monday next day it was gone. it looks like they dont know what they want. went for a few pints at night and it was almost empty and i have been told thats the way its most nights. there was five including me and her. a pub cant pay the bills with that. its a shame it seems alot of pubs in the city areloosing alot of trade. and now theres talk of putting 15% on a pint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

The Cove just cant compete with The Uluru which is doing a roaring trade. It blows away all competition.

If you could move the pub up the road by WLR they would definitly stand a better chance, but of course thats not going to happen

you'r right the uluru is hopping most nights and when you walk across the road to the cove bar its like a goast town, why cant they get anyone in, its only a few meters across the road dont people like a change of scene sometimes. after all the food wasnt bad in the cove before they stopped selling it, at least the food gave the uluru a run for its money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Minfadlek wrote: »
    ... ?

hilarious! was the waiter from Barcelona by any chance? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Minfadlek

He was from Waterford, 1st name ryhmes with "Berry" ;)

freebird23 wrote: »
    wasnt chez ks owned by the same people who own the cove bar (the kavanaghs) as far as i know they have stopped selling food for a few weeks and its gonna be leased to niall edmonson formly of chez ks and one can only guess that he will bring trhe help of the former chef from chez ks also. apparently he is only leasing the food operation from them. i thought the food was pretty good in the cove and they just stopped all of a sudden. it seems to be a trend in waterford with so many places closeing down is the cove on the way out too.

Was in contact with my Dunmore East clan at the weekend and was told that The Thatched Pub on the Dunmore Road was owned by Niall Edmonson's aunt and it had been left to him and that was going to be his next project. The Chief from Chez K's is currently on a sabbatical (could be waiting to get involved with Niall's next venture??????) No one had heard that he owned The Cove Bar (unless its happened in the last while and has not reach the ear's of the people who know thing's... or think they do) You have to laugh, small village's never change. Also heard the Ocean was up for sale and the Tower group were planning to buy it!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do find that funny when I eat out in Waterford. With such a variety of "favour of the month" restaurants but yet the pubs that have always done well, still do well i.e Geoffs.

(wasnt chez ks owned by the same people who own the cove bar (the kavanaghs) as far as i know they have stopped selling food for a few weeks and its gonna be leased to niall edmonson formly of chez ks and one can only guess that he will bring trhe help of the former chef from chez ks)

sorry to have caused confusion i was ment to say the cove cafe bar's food operation was going to be leased to tony boland former manager of chez k's.

• Advertisement

freebird23 wrote: »
    (wasnt chez ks owned by the same people who own the cove bar (the kavanaghs) as far as i know they have stopped selling food for a few weeks and its gonna be leased to niall edmonson formly of chez ks and one can only guess that he will bring trhe help of the former chef from chez ks)

sorry to have caused confusion i was ment to say the cove cafe bar's food operation was going to be leased to tony boland former manager of chez k's.

Hi folks

Was down in Dunmore East at the weekend as my brothers name is on the memorial wall and found out that you are indeed right about Tony Boland taking over The Cove and guess who just started last Thursday working as Head Chief, Mark Gunnip, (The fomer Head Chief of Chez K's).
    So hopefully it will do well. Its opened for food during the day only as far as I know. Step up or down for Mr. G????? ;) Time will tell.

Advertisement