Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CHKDSK starts every time i boot. How can i turn it off??

• 09-02-2008 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi, ive had this problem since last week. Every time i turn on my PC, it runs the chkdsk command before the winlogon screen. It never finds any problems but is just annoying. How can i turn it off or disable it? (my antivirus isnt running it by the way)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

You can press a key before it starts running to skip it. But it sounds like something is messed up if it's starting every time you boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

rkm wrote: »
    You can press a key before it starts running to skip it. But it sounds like something is messed up if it's starting every time you boot.

Yea, its just one of those things that annoys you. Theres a way to do it in regedit, but i dont know what to type in to disable it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

1. Run the Registry Editor (regedt32.exe)
    2. Under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE subtree, go to the following subkey:
    \SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
    3. Change the BootExecute entry to:
    autocheck autochk *
    Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Thanks, but that is the command to enable dskchk, ive tried it in the past!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sorry about the slow reply, A chkdsk /f [drive] from a Command prompt in Safe Mode should solve this.

• Advertisement

Thanks ill try that l8r.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Click Start>Run. Either type or copy and paste the command on the next line and click ok:
    chkntfs /x c:
    This changes the BootExecute value in the registry location [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager] to prevent chkdsk from auto running at the next startup. If you have multiple drives or partitions, you'll need to change the drive letter at the end of the command for each.
    Could indicate a hard drive problem or file system problem so backup your data!

Thanks tried that, hopefully itll work. Ive 4 partitions so did it for each one. thanks.

Thanks got it sorted, working nicely again now.

Advertisement