Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grove Island Apartments

Options
  • 09-02-2008 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

Am considering renting a top floor 2 bed apartment in this development and would welcome any comments you have on living here, whether in this development, or this part of town. FYI - Just started a one year consulting contract with a local multi-national and the 2 hrs + commute is killing me ! Looking for a quiet place for during the week, with a pool on the doorstep. Don't know Limerick at all yet.

Cheers

Max

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

i live there for over a year now. My recommendation: do not rent there. The mgt company is the most unprofessional mgt company i've ever seen! A lot of tenants have trouble with them and are willing to take that mgt company to court!!

Are you going to rent that "penthous" thing that is on daft.ie for €1300? absolutely overpriced!

for more details or questions send me a PM...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Hi Max001, I'm glad I caught your post. I'd like to give you my opinion. WARNING: Do not rent anywhere in Grove Island or Lock Mills. It cannot be over emphasized. A friend of mine lived there for about a year, it's raucous, rowdy, with anti-social behaviour regularly, and by that I mean EVERY weekend. If you're into partying all night every weekend, fine it'll suit you down to the ground. If you're someone who expects to be able to sleep Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, and likes a quite place to live with reasonably safe surroundings, it's not for you. I know there are very nice people living there, and for some it may even be perfect, but I'm letting you know what I experienced first hand (i.e. I stayed over often and witnessed these things myself.)

The apartment complex looks good during the day, it's modern, well designed and has good facilities. Plus there's been a lot of development work going on in the surrounding area. That has improved the area physically there's no question; the problem is the behaviour of a large section of residents at night. But it's not just them, their friends join them as well from pubs and clubs in the city after closing, you can imagine the result. There's also a big student village in Grove Island, I don't know much about it, suffice to say there's even more noise coming from there every weekend. So the whole place is like one huge party, from end to end, at the weekend.

The area isn't great either, there's a rawness and roughness there, with a lot of young teenagers hanging around with nothing to do (check out the SuperValu shoppping area and pool enterence.). Not to mention the traffic gridlock on the Corbally/Athlunkard Bridge roundabout every morning and evening. It's a pity that Grove Island is not a better place to live, and I'm sorry I haven't got anything positive to say about it. It has everything going for it; location, convenience, and modern facilities. That's just not enough to make it a nice neighbourhood, or a safe and pleasant community.

oracle, seconded!

over the weekend earplugs are a must if you want to sleep between midnight and 8am. happily enough my surrounding neighbours are no party people. but what annoys me really are the b*tches from the student village. sometimes they are passing through the complex and the girls are screaming like idiots! it must be some female genetic disorder...

what you call "young teenager" they are harmless. an eyesore but harmless. had never any trouble with them or with the winos at the canal bridge.

buit still the worst is that managament company... there would be much less hassle if that person wouldn't be there!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Guys

Really, really appreciate your help on this. Night time noise isn't something you're able to judge on a day-time viewing and so your comments are especially helpful.

Max

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Heh.

Got this from Daft. Judging from the posts here I think it may be artistic license.

We invite all Investors, Landlords to view this large two bedroom executive-style apartment in the popular area of Grove Island beside Corbally Roundabout. The entire complex consists of 70 apartments leased mainly to Executives and young couples (no students). The Management company, Amber Property Services, are excellent in their attention to detail. Management fees are approx. €1,200 per year and this includes (a) Public Liability Insurance, (b) Apartment Insurance (including contents), (c) Security systems and security personnel, (d) cleaning of all open areas within the apartment block, and within the apartment grounds, (e) refuse, (f) lighting within the apartment block and also on the grounds. The only bills the apartment tenants are responsible for are their own personal bills (e.g. ESB, etc.). Take a stroll around the complex noting the cleanliness, neatness and layout of the grounds, hallways and elevators, the ample car space (with more spaces than the entire complex requires), check the security gates for both cars and pedestrians, experience the peace and quiet of the
    surrounds – all adding to the up-market ambiance these apartments enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

lol Jumpy ! Your quote will generate some caustic comments I suspect !

Thanks for giving me a much needed laugh on a Monday morning !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

nice complex but as said its party central down there. Never lived there but gone to some great shindigs in different apartments :D A buddy of mine lives there now and while the apartment is lovely, I wouldnt be mad on moving in there..the noise insulation between apartments doesnt seem great at all and that would do my head in. I know my buddies have had some issues with the mgmt company as well but nothing major really. They love it there though!
    Seems some blocks are worse than others for the parties though...

vkid wrote: »
    the noise insulation between apartments doesnt seem great at all

objection! to my own surprise it's better noise insulated then some new semidetached cardboard shoebox houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

A good mate of mine used to rent in Grove Island..His apartment had a big problem with rats and he lived on the 3rd floor!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Burp Bleugh

I live there now but am moving out at the end of the month as the lease is up.

I've had no problems with neighbours making noises, house parties and/or drunken revellers and now I'm pissed off now that I've not been invited to any of them if this place is a party zone :p

The only noises I noticed are that at night you can hear people walking into town out the back door and they can be loud but it only last for about 10 seconds as they walk past your window.

I think the location is great, the management company are fine, the place is clean, the car park is secure and the price is pretty low as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i presume a lot of the people here are talking about lock mills?? I'm in fishermans quay and have never had a problem. the management company (different to lock mills one) have always been fast to react to any problems I've had, and only once in the last 2 years have i had a problem with noise, and the company issued warnings immediately. I know other neighbours complained about noise and the offenders were evicted.

The only problem i have had is once there was a rat! again, they got in pest control immediately and baited the place out, no sign since. these things happen.

Maybe it depends on what side of the block u get, but noise is never an issue for me over near the river, and the sun heats the apartment so well that u save on electricity! my two bed apartment will be vacant from start of april, because I'm buying a house, but i'd recommend the area to anyone, and several of my friends are already planning on trying to rent my place as soon as i move out.

The only noises I noticed are that at night you can hear people walking into town out the back door and they can be loud but it only last for about 10 seconds as they walk past your window.

and exactly those 10 sec can wake you up during the night. a few times. i know what i'm talking about - i live in a groundfloor apartment as well.

oh, today is thursday. expect the fúcking students screaming like idiots around 11:30pm if they passing through...
    I think the location is great,

That's what keeps me renting there. to the right you are in town immediately and to the left you are on tha canal in the nature immediately!
    the management company are fine,

teachers pet?! (joking!!) that person is the most useless and unprofessional person i ever witnessed. absolutely no interpersonal skills. just like a rough butcher's woman. (sorry to all ladies in the meat business - i'm sure there are some nice ladies out there as well)
    the car park is secure

how many times a month the main gate is broken up? and why? because some clown/idiot/muppet decided to lock up the little laneway during the night so that people are more or less forced to break our gates for their way into town...
    and the price is pretty low as well.

i don't know what you pay and from whom you rent - but a "pretty low" rent is something different IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Hey guys, I'm gonna resurrect this thread, cos I'm looking for information about Grove Island (i.e. moving there for the summer). The comments above suggest that the place isn't up to much, but then, I am a student and wouldn't be expecting much!

Could somebody give me a bit of up-to-date info on the joint?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Please start a new thread. The information given here is 2 years old, and out of date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement