Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Pidgin English

Options
  • 09-02-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭

Just had a look at donegalnews.com and found the following article:

http://www.nwipp-newspapers.com/DN/free/347760779433969.php

Looks like standards are slipping....
    shocking - i ahve to say it will ave th emst negative effect ir eally gen whsockat what ouer telng. bcoz odnegal hs alwyas been ana rea where drugs wer eraant, `apart afrom any rev dbien godn e up there you ve got t have a prop fdeg durgs saua. it no anehgout he gady ont he garoudn oidng ths, co zthey cla ou otu to the utie,s i couwld certanyl eb askign q o fht enex gard com ho hs arelly good rec in this area, iw oul sceraun yl be aksign q as to twhy this is occure.d iw oudl also be poitni n out tot he mmn for justic etha iy iws just mnoct accept a time hwne irland ir swawhs... levaing dpeple i ndonegal in very vlenrale situaion.

np ptn i nhaving preventon if you dont have interventio by the plic they go hadn in hand, you musht have oeilcigin, it on its oown insnt enog.y ouve got ohave polcing and erxisgnated plcie.w e know its not enoguht to ahev or gauda ont eh tsst they dopnt have, drugs squad have littl ebalck books and contacts i really am surprised coz its levaing donegal wid eopen.

cerainyl are, youre porximity to northenr irelan douy really are in avery difficul stituation upt her ien donegal there is no doubt eiatifdul dnegal doe seeem to be the neglected in way in every way it just eisn't. absolutely its so easy they just dump it ff the coast, customs of cours edeal with this biut i dsnot enough. i thinkt hat donegal des an answer as to whent hes epeopl men and women awill be replace.d that is aq thats hjoudl eba sked of the t garda c om and min for justice.

when he came into office he has promise dmore policing, hes in office now ok omm when ar you goign to polcalace the polcie officer drugs squads. thatr eidcx`lous,t hat isjust so silly liek utting somebpje form tecahin nt third lvel downt o tecahign perope in promary, it s aottlaly diff ype of area, drugs squad stdteca ra not cm tniy polcie,t hey furtther p the rrnak.t hey cant be rpleaced.

im hearing it all the time, i get calls from peopel about th esituation.anywhere lkket ht that is not wrll protected it like sbee goign to the heoneypot and of fcours eagin coming in from northenr ireland the pralramorirlrties loyalist.

id liek to see the comm and mi for jsutcie telgi the poeple in dongl when they can expect to ahve thes ddetecteives.

that is not acceptable. yo knwo aosmthing the publc should not acdpet. the poepel i donegl desreve the same level of potrcetdjna s say the ame poeple in dunlaahgoire in dublin.

if epoepl have any problems or questions, if concerned about situations if.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

quick scan through that article, the spelling puntuation and grammer seem fine in the first half, either the proof reader got that far and thought ah the articles fine, or theres something wrong with their software

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I'm not a bit surprised by it as their staff are either illiterate, incompetent, lazy or/and totally disrespective of their readers. How in this day and age can anyone find this acceptable? I used to make posting on their "discussions" page complaining about their lack of professionalism but I see now that they've removed that. I call for direct action and email the editor directly. This kind of uncaring attitude really pisses me off.
    irish-stew wrote:
    Quick scan through that article, the spelling, punctuation and grammar seem fine in the first half, either the proof reader got that far and thought ah the article's fine, or there's something wrong with their software

irish stew, how good of a judge are you to judge their grammar when your post is full of mistakes?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's almost as if the last section was created using a speech to text package, that wasn't working very well.

I've just sent a message to the "Contacts" page entitled editting. I doubt I'll ever hear from them. I urge others to do the same.

deman wrote: »
    irish stew, how good of a judge are you to judge their grammar when your post is full of mistakes?

my point that was there was a considerable difference between the first part of the article, compared to the second half of the article as posted by the OP,

plus, bringing into question my grammer, if i was writting for publiction, or if i was the editor, i would be making sure it was correct before publishing it, the same as i did when at college for asignments, yes my spelling and punctuation may not be the greastest, as you pointed out, and none of my tutors had major issues as i used a spell check and had them proof read before submiting, dont think the same is nesseasy here,

as i also said in my post, it may have been a software issue

• Advertisement

deman wrote: »

my point was there was a considerable difference between the first part of the article compared to the second half of the article as posted by the OP,

plus, bringing into question my grammer, if i was writting for publiction, or if i was the editor, i would be making sure it was correct before publishing it, the same as i did when at college for asignments, yes my spelling and punctuation may not be the greastest, as you pointed out, and none of my tutors had major issues as i used a spell check and had it proof read before submiting, dont think the same is nesseasy here.

as i also said in my post, it may have been a soft where issue

irish-stew wrote: »
    my point was there was a considerable difference between the first part of the article compared to the second half of the article as posted by the OP,

plus, bringing into question my grammer, if i was writting for publiction, or if i was the editor, i would be making sure it was correct before publishing it, the same as i did when at college for asignments, yes my spelling and punctuation may not be the greastest, as you pointed out, and none of my tutors had major issues as i used a spell check and had them proof read before submiting, dont think the same is nesseasy here,

as i also said in my post, it may have been a software issue

Sorry if I seemed a bit hard. It's just that the DN really annoys me at times and it kind of overflowed over towards your direction. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

aha!
    Donegalese!

and to think people doubted me when i claimed it existed.

So... I wrote a truthfully nasty email to the editor of DN last Saturday complaining about how complacent they are in their so-called media and linked the erroneous aforementioned page in the message.

Five days later...
    Not one shred of notification. The page remains the same and no reply from them. The website and whatever else it's suppoed to be (I really can't bring myself to call it a newspaper) is run by amateurs with no interest in bettering itself and insulting its readers by printing this s**t! All you have to do is look at the headlines....

Anthony Swanston - ?????
    ahdn310108-livinglinks
    cj
    SFDN010208- Add to Letterkenny

The list goes on and on. These are just the headlines. With headlines like this, I really can't be bothered to read the story.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Rant not over!!

To be continued...

Advertisement