Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrieving coordinates from Garmin Nuvi 250 favorites

Options
  • 09-02-2008 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi all,

When I save a location as a favorite it gives me the coordinates and asks if I'd like to save it which is grand. Then when I go into favorites it displays the location name which I have given it, my question is this, is it possible to get the coordinates again, I tried playing around with it but was unable, any advice?

Rgds,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It looks like the edit capability on the 250 is very restrictive, you can only change things like the name and symbol or just delete it and start again. If you can get yourself a copy of Garmin MapSource on your PC then you can upload the favourites (older Garmins and MapSource call them waypoints), edit them and save them back to the 250. Garmin ship a free CD called Trips and Waypoints manager with lots of their units (but not the 250) , this contains MapSource s/w with a basic map of the world and you can use this to manage your favourites. Once you've installed MapSource, go to the Garmin web site and download the latest update but note that you must already have MapSource installed from CD before you can use the update.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/mappingsw.jsp

If you want to do some major housekeeping like deleting lots of older favourites that you don't need anymore then what you need is to upload them to the PC, save as a GDB file, then do a full reset on the 250, this involves pressing the botom-right corner of the screen while you switch on the device, you will then be offerred the option to delete all user data so all of the favourites will be scrubbed. Then use MapSource on the PC to delete the favourites you don't need anymore, modify the ones that need changing and download to the Nuvi, taking care that only 'Waypoints' is ticked when you do the doanload. If like me you have been using Garmins for several years and have built up hundreds of favouries you will need to do this now and then to stay below the limit of 500 waypoints, manually deleting favourites one by one is very tedious on the 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Similar request, but on a Nuvi 660. Anyway to find GPS coordinates from a favourite, point on a map or the current location?

Will go down the software route if need be.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Hi all,

When I save a location as a favorite it gives me the coordinates and asks if I'd like to save it which is grand. Then when I go into favorites it displays the location name which I have given it, my question is this, is it possible to get the coordinates again, I tried playing around with it but was unable, any advice?

Rgds,
    P.

I haven't been able to do it from the unit either, however, what I did find was that if you copy the current.gpx file in the GPX folder of the 250 onto your pc, then open it in excel as a read only workbook it gives you the name, lat, lon, elevation etc of your saved favourites!
    Might be the same of the 660. But be sure to copy, not move, as you dont want to screw up the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ben1

Thanks Dannybuoy for advice on co-ordinates. Works for Garman 250W

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PaulyWally

I think this can be done as follows:

Start by turning on GPS Simulator (equivalent to antenna down).
    Use Where to? to select the favorite.
    Show the corresponding map.
    Touch the screen where the favorite is
    Press "Set Loc" (placing your vehicle at the favorite)
    Go back to the main screen
    Press "Where to?"
    Select "Coordinates"

These will be the coordinates of your favorite (at least to the resolution of
    your screen touch above).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 des.deeney

Cheers Pauly, was doing my head in trying to direct people to somewhere we visited while on holiday......Your suggestion was spot on. Regards, Des

Advertisement