Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

backup generator

• 09-02-2008 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

I am having my new build wired for a back up genny to an outside plug and play (unit and housing later).
    Is a 5kw diesel enough to give adequate coverage for well pump ,boiler,circulation pumps ie solar ,underfloor. lights and a couple of sockets.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

If the brain is still working ok you would have about 20amps which will get you by no electric showers or cooking. I always advise customers when putting in back-up generators to go for one around 15Kva which will have an output of around 65 amps. You would pick up a second hand one for around €2500 or a new one for €8000. I know cost and size is an issue with some people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Have you got a change-over switch? How do you plan on isolating the esb supply from your generator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

If the brain is still working ok you would have about 20amps which will get you by no electric showers or cooking

You can do alot with 20A. You can run you boiler (oil or gas), for many of us that means you have heating, shower & bath. You can also have a micro wave, fridge, TV and enough lights to survive until the power comes back on. Careful managemnet of what is switched on means you can use many electric ovens (just check the rating).
    You would pick up a second hand one for around €2500 or a new one for €8000
    ... and for about €400 to €500 you can buy a quality 5 to 6KVA generator from a plant hire shop! I bought a Honda.
    I know that the one you are suggesting is better, but the electricity does not go off very often and you are talking about alot of money. I have not had a power outage in over 3 years!
    I know cost and size is an issue with some people.

With about 99% I would think! Remember a 15KVA generator is not very portable.

Have you got a change-over switch? How do you plan on isolating the esb supply from your generator?

Buy a generator change over switch. The manual ones are cheap enough. There is a special plug and socket arrangement you can buy for generators. I have done this on sevral jobs, simple enough. It is important that it is installed so that the load (your house) can only be connected to either the ESB supply or the generator at any given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

fishdog wrote: »
    Buy a generator change over switch. The manual ones are cheap enough. There is a special plug and socket arrangement you can buy for generators. I have done this on sevral jobs, simple enough. It is important that it is installed so that the load (your house) can only be connected to either the ESB supply or the generator at any given time.

Yes there will be a changeover switch. The finances may stretch to an automated system ,which i believe the other half would be happier with.I work some nightshifts and technology is not a strong suit with her.
    I have the space for the larger unit but i do appreciate the possiblity of overkill on the sizing of the generator,but if 5 - 6 kva would sufice it probably is the way to go.Anyway there is plenty of time to decide yet.
    Thanks for your replies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Good stuff bakerbhoy. The changeover switch is very important :)

Pretty new to boards but setup my own electrical company ten years now. From my experience people who put in small generators always regret it they all regret not saving up a few more pound and buy the bigger.
    I have even swapped a few over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

I've retro fitted a genny socket & changeover switch to my place. Have a small portable 2.5kW genny. My logic is that it will allow lights and central heating in an emergency and for a few hundred Euro I'm happy to accept that level of cover - used twice in two years...

A 15kva on standby would by overkill to me TBH.

(late edit) the genny was bought for a different purpose, gets used regularly, so just happens to "reside" at the garden shed... hence the decision to stick a socket & switch on the wall...

Hi
    I have been quoted approx €8k for a 12kva single phase new.
    Got a call today about a second hand 15kva 3 phase 1000 hrs €6.5k.Any thoughts. These quotes are from the same source.
    We are going for the larger unit,funds are there at the moment, better looking at it than for it sort of logic.

From my experience people who put in small generators always regret it they all regret not saving up a few more pound and buy the bigger.
    I have even swapped a few over.

Read my post. What I suggested is a portable second hand generator. You simply wheel it out (yes they come on wheels) plug it in, pull the cord and flick the change over switch. If you are unlucky you may require it once a year. If you need a bigger one simply sell it for about what you paid, buy a new one and repeat the process. How often do you expect to need it?? The odd time you do need it how much power do you really have to have??
    My logic is that it will allow lights and central heating in an emergency and for a few hundred Euro I'm happy to accept that level of cover - used twice in two years...

My thoughts exactly.
    I have been quoted approx €8k for a 12kva single phase new.
    For that money I could have checked into a 6 star hotel for a night every time that my power has gone off in the last 10 years and still have change!!
    Is it really worth it?

Does this price include an auto change over switch??

• Advertisement

For that money I could have checked into a 6 star hotel for a night every time that my power has gone off in the last 10 years and still have change!!
    Is it really worth it?

Does this price include an auto change over switch??
    What price sanity compared to her lushesness's well being and she will have the 6 star as well.
    auto changeover serious extra

That price sounds over the top to me and the generator sounds over the top too.

A customer of mine bought a new electric start 10 or 11 KVA genny for well under 2K. It was about 3 years ago. It works great.

With a manual change over it is not that expensive to install generally, however every job is different.

Do you loose supply alot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I think at this stage that sticking up some supplies for the OP to go to would be a good idea.

IMO, stay away from all the big guys for this application, Edina, CAT, Wilsons etc.

Maybe Electrogen at 01 8251644, shopping around will give you value and info

Came across a 10kva on the net.
    Brand name : Kipor single phase €2250 in the uk. anygood.

Never heard of that make, what type engine is in it? have they got dealership or maintance team i Ireland?

moose112 wrote: »
    Never heard of that make, what type engine is in it? have they got dealership or maintance team i Ireland?

Do a search for diesel generator on ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Before I write this I want to point out I do know this firm very well, their son is a very good friend of mine so I'm biased here :-)

bakerbhoy, if your in the general Munster region you could try Richard Egan Electrical - 063 98376 - (Kilmallock, Co Limerick). They sell, install and service generators and I know they have installed several into houses in the remote parts of the country - Kerry, West Cork etc as I helped deliver them to the houses.

They will quote whatever you request with whatever fittings you require (manual/auto changeover, alarms, indicators etc) but try to give them as much detail as possible as they are busy on that side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭ikb

careful using small sets for houses. the regulaion and control is primative(slow) prone to spikes, with so much electronics in domestic appliances thease days, you could vaporise your flat screen tv in a heartbeat.Small sets use 2 x 110 windings to generate 220v (110v a side-ie no neutral). The smallest set available with electronic governer and voltage regulation is 8kva single phase(New should be about 12500 euro delivered/commissioned- possibly including change over) .Secondhand is the way forward.

Advertisement