Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner

• 09-02-2008 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭

hello all ...im based in the midlands and would love to take up shooting...can a complete novice get going in this sport through a club and get lessons etc or is there anyone here that would let me tag along to get a feel for it..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

no you have to be an expert:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

your better off joining a gun club bookie and then getting a member of that club to show you the ropes and how to go about it, wether your a shotgun or a rifle person, or both, you can join the NARGC, national association of regional game councils, they got a website with all the info its

www.nargc.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

hello all ...im based in the midlands and would love to take up shooting...can a complete novice get going in this sport through a club and get lessons etc or is there anyone here that would let me tag along to get a feel for it..

What type ?

no you have to be an expert:D

Dev, any chance of banning this troll ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

when u say type ..what do u mean..???

• Advertisement

when u say type ..what do u mean..???

Clay bashing, game eg pheasant, target rifle, rabbits with rifle, fox with rifle, deer with rifle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

sorry ...game and rabbit

sorry ...game and rabbit

game I presume with shotgun, join local gun club ask in local gun shop for contact details they always know who to talk to.

rabbit with rifle or shotgun same as game join local gun club

The local club should sort you out with someone to give you lessons and take you out shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Get your land permission sorted first bookiebasher. Written permission from two farmers to shoot on their land + the details of the gun you want to buy. Bring the lot to your local Garda station, fill in the forms and the wait can begin. In the meantime educate yourself on the basics of gun safety and open and closed season orders and general animal protection issues. By the time your licence comes true you should have had a few weeks to have some sound basic knowledge which you can start putting into practice. If you want to get a bit of experience with a shotgun first there's plenty of good clayshooting grounds all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

i've been shooting for th last two years. got my single barrell baikal first and did a bit of clay shooting. shot a few crows etc. then i got my .22 and i've shot a few things with it. mainly rabbits, magpies and greycrows. but i've found it very difficult to find info on local clubs or get permission. not that i've been refused many times or anything, but i find it can be a bit hard to just go knocking on doors and asking if they know who owns the land and if they're land owner then ask for permission. i'm in kildare as my name would suggest and the only club i know of is a closed shop. no new members accepted.
    i'd love to go shooting with someone who knows their stuff, even if i didnt bring my gun, i'd love to just pick up tips and experience.
    difficult though!
    eoin

• Advertisement
Advertisement