Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The W***er! Thread: What Footballer Do You Hate?

• 09-02-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

On the advice of Homerjay2005 and courtesy of Joey Bartons showing in the first half Vs Villa today, I did a search on hated footballers threads and the last one was in 2004. So I think its time for an update :)

Well, goes without saying who I think is; Joey Barton is the winner alright ladies & gentlemen. He's been in prison, stubbed a cigarette out on a fellow players eye, various GBH "tackles", held his club for ransom and then wanted out.... He's just a general thug.

From my own club; Emmaunuel Eboue. His playacting and diving is shameful. Ship him out AW!

*WARNING*
    Lads, is it too much to ask that this thread be reasonably debated and not turn into a trollfest with xxx is such a xxx type replies. Similarily, I'd expect a certain level of construction in the replies - i.e. Don't just say player xxxx is a scumbag. Give a reason for it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

cson wrote: »
    *WARNING*
    Lads, is it too much to ask that this thread be reasonably debated and not turn into a trollfest with xxx is such a xxx type replies.

Yes :) Can't see this thread having a very long life!

But while it's open, it is hard to argue with Barton. Also, not really talking about a player in particular, but when I see players sucking their thumb after scoring it makes me want to throw things at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

zidane surely for headbutting mazerrati in front of the entire world.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

zidane surely for headbutting mazerrati in front of the entire world.

Hard ba$tard yes but Wan.ker or Hated hell no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'll get it out of the way ;) Ronaldo! What a diving showpony gimp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

El Haji Diouf reasons to numerous to mention. Lee Bowyer makes me wretch a little. I think it was the way he breezed through the aftermath of the "incident", whereas Woodgate was geniunely shocked by it all.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Ashley Cole - even his face annoys me; Essien too, great player but he;s such a scummy bastard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

stilian petrov because hes so bloody useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well if it stays aways from a gerrard v ronaldo thread, there is no reason why this cannot stay open.

ok,to show im not going to be bashing players from teams i hate, i will include Gary Neville (i dont hate him, but i know he is hateable by other clubs) on this, as im sure he is hated by alot of players and people on ere.

heres my thoughts towards the "w**ker 11,feel free to agree, disagree or make other suggestions

so, keeper - jens Lehmenn?

rb - gary neville??
    lb - ashley cole, there is no contest in this, end of story.

michael ball should fit in somewhere.

CM - Joey, again, like cole, this is not open to debate!!
    CM - Lee Boywer

fwd - craig bellamy.
    fwd - el hadj Diouf

a few of me mates picked a team a few weeks ago, these were my contributions, but they also included Terry, Lampard and Joe Cole.

im sure DesF will have 2 corkonians on ere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

John Terry should definitely occupy one of the CB berths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Every single Ipswich player and then when I thought it couldn't get any better, Bywater joins them and completes the set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

John Terry should definitely occupy one of the CB berths.
    +1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

but he's an English lion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

but he's an English lion!

Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer

Thats my eleven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

Gary Neville

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Barlow07 wrote: »
    Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer, Alan Shearer

Thats my eleven

as much as i pity shearer for not signing for a big club in his prime, i admire him, he was a decent player who would have made a difference to one of the big clubs. i cant really think of anything that he did to p**s me off.

anyway, this should be limited to current players, if we start bringing up the past, we would open up a massive can of worms.

i can see a common trend developing here, i should not be too hard to pick an 11.

lehmann
    neville terry another cole
    eboue bowyer barton ball
    bellamy diouf

thats my updated 11 anyway, though im sure that will change as the day passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Gerrard for having a big mouth and being a hypiocrite and for holding liverpool to ransom on almost every contract.
    Rio Ferdinand, not one ounce of loyalty after the club stood by him during his ban, see gerrard re: contract, oh and being hugely overrated, Vidic makes him look rather average when it comes to bread and butter defending.
    Joey Barton, he's scum, is that 3 or 4 assaults so far?
    Ronaldo, it isn't just lately he's been caught up in his own hype. Not long until he decides he needs a bigger club .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Emmanuel Eboue.
    John Obi Mikel.

Those 2 stand out for me. They disgust me. Eboue is just really nasty and Mikel, has nothing to do with ditching United, he makes at least 1 2-footed lunge a game and i think hes filth honestly.

Right for me;

GK: Lehmann
    LB: A. Cole
    CB: J. Terry
    CB: A. Todd
    RB: G. Neville

RM: E. Eboue
    CM: J. Barton
    CM: M. Brown
    LM: C. Ronaldo

CF: C. Bellemy
    CF: E. Diouf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Robbie Savage, nuff said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i always liked robbie savage

Definitely competition for the CM spot. One wonders what havoc a trio of Michael Brown, Joey Barton and Robbie Savage would wreak, with Essien/Mikel in the holding position (aka, overthetoptwofootedlungelegbreaker role)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

the "irishman" aidan mcgeady.
    Chris Sutton for his "Lying down" comments.
    Amdy Faye for being crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Helix wrote: »
    i always liked robbie savage

Oh why don't you just marry him then..........:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Roy Keane, Alan Smith, Gary Neville

Eirebear wrote: »
    the "irishman" aidan mcgeady.
    Chris Sutton for his "Lying down" comments.
    Amdy Faye for being crap

Wot no Boruc?
    :p

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Of course he was ziggy...thats why it was 1-1 at half time:rolleyes:
    Wot no Boruc?
    :p

I dont hate boruc...i pity him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Danny Mills, its a miracle he hasn't ended someones career yet.

• Advertisement

Joey Barton - say no more
    Cashley Cole
    Marco Matterazzi (I like Zidane even more because he loafed him!!)
    Steven Gerrard - its one thing to like a dive, its another to write about others who also like a dive and criticise them for it.
    John Terry - seems with english refs theres one rule for him and another for everyone else.
    Diouf
    Totti - cos he's overrated and loves himself
    Emmannuel Eboue - just hate him!
    William "I scored the winner in a 2 all draw" Gallas

Totti - cos he's overrated and loves himself

They wouldn't be my reasons at all, absolutely class player but a spitting, stamping, cheating so and so.

Enter Eirebhoy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Forgot all about Pascal 'I'll whore myself out to whoever pays me the most' Chimbonda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Stevie Gerrard "liverpool for life apart from when Real Madrid, no sorry I meant Chelsea are in for me then I'll hand in my transfer request. Actually scratch that. I'm liverpool for life, could never play for another club."

He's a fake Jamie Carragher

Same could be said for Lucas Neill, although he's done alright a Wham. He's their captain if I'm not mistaken. Still don't like him though, he has a streak of nastiness in him.

Same could be said for Lucas Neill, although he's done alright a Wham. He's their captain if I'm not mistaken. Still don't like him though, he has a streak of nastiness in him.

Between himself, Cole and Chimbonda, it really does seem as if full-backs are the biggest mercenaries going these days.

• Advertisement

Eirebear wrote: »
    Shunsuke Nakamura.....
    NOW enter eirebhoy ;)

Haha. Not a fan of that Scott Brown lad either... :D

Presumptive post #4 this week.

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    They wouldn't be my reasons at all, absolutely class player but a spitting, stamping, cheating so and so.

Enter Eirebhoy...

Shunsuke Nakamura.....
    NOW enter eirebhoy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hate is a strong word, id rather use dislike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭weemcd

Joe Cole - one of the newspapers had a story with him last year i think it was with a title "stop calling me new zidane", funny, no ones i know has ever called you new zidane, son!

terry - he gets away with far too much at club level as england captain, arguing with players and officials, comes off as absolute prick. If I didnt know he was a footballer i could picture him as a beer swilling english hooligan - think dyer in football factory.

Johnathan woodgate - clearly a thug, court appearances and the like, i also think he's never showed loyalty to any club that has signed him - particularly when they stuck by him through his constant injuries. Then of course we have the own goal and the sending off during his first game at madrid

the real (fat) ronaldo - sidelined for what must have been 2 years where he still earned a wage at inter who could have got rid of him, had a stormer of a world cup in 2002 and quickly jumped ship for real

snyper wrote: »
    Hate is a strong word, id rather use dislike

Quite the opposite. In a lot of cases, hate is just not strong enough. Take Cashley Cole for example, I really don't have the necessary vocabulary to describe what I think of him. Now whether that reflects on my vocabulary or Cashley Cole, I'll let you decide. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I fail to understand how people can "hate" somone they never met, and infact dont know.

Judging people from information gathered by reading the red tops is wrong...

.. that said Mick McCarty is a wan**r because he insulted my mother a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Paul Tait for that T-Shirt in the auto windscreen final in the 1990s.

What a C'unt with his foppish blonde hair.

*edit* cant say i hate him like Hitler hated the Jews tis only football, but still a C'unt he is.

snyper wrote: »
    I fail to understand how people can "hate" somone they never met, and infact dont know.

Judging people from information gathered by reading the red tops is wrong...

.. that said Mick McCarty is a wan**r because he insulted my mother a few years ago.

So Muslim extremists have no reason to hate George Bush and America and vice versa? Because of course, they've never met each other and are only judging each other from information gathered by reading the red tops....

Sadly for you snyper, this simply ain't the case ;)

Edit: I realise my example is on the extreme side, but imo, it's still relevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Stky10 wrote: »

Hmmm, I wonder what position he plays....

*Looks at MrJoeSoap*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'd agree with most of the names mentioned, although I always kinda liked Robbie Savage. He doesn't deserve as much stick as he gets.

My own nomination is Rio Ferdinand. Good player but a flash harry wanker if there was ever one.

Always thought Craig Bellamy to be a dislikeable runt too.

And although people are slagging off Cashley for his greed, there's been no mention yet of Winston Bogarde, who was happy to pick up his fat wages for 2 whole years while dossing in the reserves and not even allowed train with the first team.

Hmmm, I wonder what position he plays....

*Looks at MrJoeSoap*

Full back. :D

He isn't a mercenary though. Bogarde on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Full back. :D

He isn't a mercenary though. Bogarde on the other hand...

Bogarde was a legend, 40k a week for doing nothing? is it true he didnt live in London and he just commuted a few days a week from Amsterdam instead?

Having wikipedia'd him i see he had an autobiography called "Deze Neger Buigt Voor Niemand (This Negro Bows for No One)", and that between 1997-2004 he made less then 60 appearances for Milan, Barcelona and Chelsea combined.

Also (again from wikipedia):

The World Cup 1998 was also where Bogarde was viewed as a dissident to the Dutch team morale, as after the 2nd round match against Yugoslavia Bogarde was seen forcibly pushing his fellow white teammates, Van der Sar and Numan, aside even though they were trying to celebrate Edgar Davids' winning goal.

In the 1999/2000 UEFA Champions League group match against AIK in Stockholm he was humiliated by being substituted after only 20 minutes of play after almost picking up a red card at the hands of the opposing strike force.

His career at Chelsea is notable because, only weeks after signing his contract with the club, the newly-appointed manager Claudio Ranieri wanted him to leave. According to Bogarde it would be next to impossible to find a team that would offer him a contract comparable to the one he had at Chelsea with reference to his biography Deze Neger Buigt Voor Niemand (This Negro Bows for No One), he was astounded at the salary Chelsea had agreed on since it is a fact that his value has depreciated severely due to lack of first-team action. Bogarde decided to stay at Chelsea honouring his contract to the letter (as he could not get a similar salary anwhere else), as a result Bogarde played only sparingly for Chelsea again. In the end, he only appeared eleven times during his four-year contract, reportedly earning £40,000 a week during this period. Worse still, Chelsea won a domestic trophy during this period triggering a bonus payment in agreement with his contract, despite Bogarde not featuring at all for Chelsea that season. His contract ended in 2004.

During his period at Chelsea, they repeated tried to offload him because of his inflated wages. When there were no takers, Chelsea demoted him to their reserves and youth team in an effort to force Bogarde to leave. However, he stuck to his contract, turning up every day and attending whatever training he was assigned to. Bogarde claims to have been placed in suspiciously compromising situations involving drugs (Similar to what happened with Chelsea players Mark Bosnich and Adrian Mutu), soon after he refused to leave Chelsea or sign a new contract for a reduced wage. all Bogarde continued to stick to the letter his contract and working every day with the Chelsea reserves, while increasingly becoming a figure of ridicule in the English press for his alleged selfishness.

what a nice guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

From the ones I have met, I have to say Stephen Carr is a right tosser....

The Oh is shouting Gary Neville for crimes against liverpool fans..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Robbie Keane and his stupid goal celebrations :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement