Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

bow hunting for rabbits

• 09-02-2008 3:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

so here i am again just to ask one final outragous question.. Can you hunt any unprotected species here in ireland with a bow.? i dont think you can.. just asking... Can you be done by the garda for killing rats with a sling shot?:D:D:D..
    keep the answers real--

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

i think bow hunting is illegal in the state, archery isnt so once you dont get caught i suppose you'l be ok haha!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

i'm nearly sure that i read it in the statute that harming an animal with an arrow is unlawful but it might have said an unprotected animal and thats a different story.. you see you can buy sling shots and get ammo .38cal ball for hunting rats, so why cant you hunt rats with a bow ( best shot in the world but the animal has a chance) maybe its cause of shot placement worries but thats over come with a xbow.. good to 40-50 yards or so.. but at least with a bow the quarry has a better chance than the hunter.. this would be real sport..... its not that hard with the best gun money can buy to knock of a few rabbits.. anyway if you had a large broad head and it were to hit a bunny anywhere it would kill it or at the worst anchor t to the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

i'or at the worst anchor t to the ground

I imagine that is one of the reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Nope dont think you are allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

You need a rifle licence for a crossbow and you're quite likely not able to provide the local super with a sound reason acceptable to him to have one so your chances of legally owning one are virtually zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

From what I remember it is against the law to hunt with a bow and arrow. You would also look stupid with the forest green tights,crushed velvet peaked cap with pheasant feather. Furthermore every animal for miles around will hear your friend Alan coming as he sings about the green wood:D :D I also believe the cross bow license is the same for a rifle 38 Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Even if you have a leagaly held crossbow the law says you still cant hunt with it as the projectile is an arrow. so lets put Ivans thread to bed.

Even if you have a leagaly held crossbow the law says you still cant hunt with it as the projectile is an arrow. so lets put Ivans thread to bed.

wrong again xbows fire bolts:p

wrong again xbows fire bolts:p
    Firstly till can't hunt with it, the law excludes arrows/darts/bolts etc

and secondly, its actually called a Quarrel. A bolt is acceptable but quarrel is historically accurate. The name comes from the shape.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

lets call a spade a spade and quit quarrelling.

lol
    agreed

Advertisement