Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

folding rifle stocks for .22

Options
  • 09-02-2008 4:02pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

does any body know where you can get (if poss) i .22 rifle that folds up for easy storage and transportation... want something that you can stick in a rucksack or even smaller..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭José Alaninho

What type of rifle d'you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I may be wrong, but aren't collaspable or folding stocks illegal?
    I think they in the US

Mellor wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but aren't collaspable or folding stocks illegal?
    I think they in the US

I don't think so, my gun dealer told me he could get me a Butler Creek folder for my ruger...:confused: Am open to correction on this though.

there is a chance iy only applies to the us, or only to semi-auto rifles, or assult rifles etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

does any body know where you can get (if poss) i .22 rifle that folds up for easy storage and transportation... want something that you can stick in a rucksack or even smaller..

:confused: Why would you want this type of rifle :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jbarry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I thinks Mellor's right. A folding stock would reduce the lenght of the rifle to such an extent that you might need a pistol licence. What 's you're intention anyway Ivan ? Carry concealed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭IDon'tKnow!

I have a Marlin 925 .22 its 41” long, it’s to long to carry on a bike without everyone knowing it’s a gun on my back. So have to take the car every time I want to shoot off a few rounds.

I would like a folding stock on it so I could discreetly put it in a bag and carry it to the range on my motorcycle.

I have heard that folding stocks make guns loss some of there accuracy.

Don’t think you can get one for my gun but could be wrong, If you can get them I still don’t think I would fit it. I think they take away from the look of the guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

Browning ATD

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Mellor wrote: »
    there is a chance iy only applies to the us, or only to semi-auto rifles, or assult rifles etc
    Folding or collapsable stocks were one of the cosmetic features on a rifle that would class it as an assault rifle under the assault rifle ban in the US a few years back. That law's since been dropped from the books though. There's no such restriction over here. In fact, there's no restrictions at all on such cosmetic features to a firearm. There are restrictions on things like barrel length allright, but not stock length.

(The overall length being too low for a rifle licence sounds more like something out of UK law rather than Irish law, btw)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

I contacted the Dept around 6 months ago about importing a stock from the states and i wanted to check if I needed a license to do so. I was told that as long as it wasn't colapasable I didn't need a license to import it...not sure if relevant but though i'd throw it out there..

Thing is Mac, you can fire a rifle without a stock. Therefore it's not a component part of the firearm and therefore you can do pretty much whatever you want with it under Irish firearms law. So all those 10/22 aftermarket fancy stocks are fair game and consulting the department really isn't needed - but if you ask them, I'm sure they'll tell you that you need their permission. They're just wrong (at least in this case) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

You can buy a folding stock for a ruger 10/22. They are not illegal here as far as I know.I have seen one on sale in my local gun shop. I have also seen one on a mossberg 12G being used at a clay shoot while it was being set up. Guy who ownerd it was a member of An Garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

They are not illegal here as far as I know
    You are 100% correct.
    Guy who ownerd it was a member of An Garda
    IMHO this means nothing. For example a pistol shooter friend of mine was told by an experienced garda last year that pistols were ilegal for civillians in ROI full stop. He got very annoyed when he was told otherwise. From what I have seen many gardai (not all) know nothing about the laws concerning firearms and do not want to know.

BTW I have alot of respect for the gardai, this is just my experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Lovely picture of the old Browning .22 semi. Lovely little rifle for rabbit shooting. How many rounds does it hold ? Around 10 isn't it ?

Sparks wrote: »
    (The overall length being too low for a rifle licence sounds more like something out of UK law rather than Irish law, btw)

That be an EU thing I think, the categories are based around long firearm and short firearm, not rifle/pistol
    But I don't know what the def of either is. Even without a stock, a rifle would still be long enough to be classed a long firearm i think

Yup, the EU regs say a short firearm is a 30cm barrel or overall length 60cm or less. Long firearms are everything else.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=EN&numdoc=31991L0477&model=guichett
    (Annex 1, section 4(a))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

:confused: Why would you want this type of rifle :confused:

My thoughts exactly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

foxhunter wrote: »
    My thoughts exactly!

hes going to shoot fish from a bridge after hes hunted some rabbits with a longbow....

hes going to shoot fish from a bridge after hes hunted some rabbits with a longbow....

:D:D Yeah at night as well with his NV scope...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

want it so i can easily bring it with me when surveying so as to pick off a few rabbits-- i meet new land owners every day and always ask for permission to shoot and snare.. i,d say i have access to over 25,000(thou) acres with some 17 thou in writing.. but i never really go back to shoot as i,m too busy working so i think I'll get paid to take a few shoots for a change..
    ANOTHER INTERESTING READ

want it so i can easily bring it with me when surveying so as to pick off a few rabbits-- i meet new land owners every day and always ask for permission to shoot and snare.. i,d say i have access to over 25,000(thou) acres with some 17 thou in writing.. but i never really go back to shoot as i,m too busy working so i think I'll get paid to take a few shoots for a change..
    ANOTHER INTERESTING READ

all you need now is a gun....

love to know who has 25,000 acres of land close to dublin for you to be accessable by bike.....

you should apply for a licence for an apache helicopter... i hear they are great for surveying rabbits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

you should apply for a licence for an apache helicopter... i hear they are great for surveying rabbits

Is it legal to use a bow from the doorway of said helicopter when I find the rabbits ? :D Do I need permission to hunt the land as I won't actually be on it, more above it. Does the owner own the hunting rights from the air too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 openseason

Ivan , there's shops you can go to such as 'smyth's' where you don't need a licence at all ! imagine. go in and buy the rifle you want ,run about in the fields and pretend you ve got the real thing . you ll be the best, all the boys ll be jealous at break time .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

do smyths sell airsoft then?:D

Is it legal to use a bow from the doorway of said helicopter when I find the rabbits ? :D Do I need permission to hunt the land as I won't actually be on it, more above it. Does the owner own the hunting rights from the air too ?

irish law states that no projectile is allowed to be fired at rabbits from an apache helicopter unless UNLESS its a hellfire missile

however you are allowed .22lrs that fold up into the shape of a swiss army knife in your pocket while you sit in said helicopter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

your all very bold, you know that and you could all go to hell:D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

openseason wrote: »
    Ivan , there's shops you can go to such as 'smyth's' where you don't need a licence at all ! imagine. go in and buy the rifle you want ,run about in the fields and pretend you ve got the real thing . you ll be the best, all the boys ll be jealous at break time .

very good lads ,, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

:d:d

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

i,d say i have access to over 25,000(thou) acres with some 17 thou in writing.

amm 25,000 acres??

thats about 100km2???

OS_grid_key_Ireland.gif

Which is 1 of the sub zones on the map?

that right?

Advertisement