Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glasses when you dont need them

• 09-02-2008 5:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

What do ye think of people getting glasses when they dont need them just for fashion.Am thinking of doing this myself.Sure if i dont like them I can take them off anyway.Also is there any good places online to get them.Am looking for a pair of jasper conran jc11 but cant find the ones i want on ebay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Pointless is the short answer really. I know you could argue that you can wear anything and you think they look cool, and they could make a nice accessory and I'm not saying it's wrong! I just personally think it sounds a bit ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I have glasses (i need them) and hate them, I just think buying clear glass glasses for no reason is pointless tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

I'm in the same boat as emo above -
    I cant understand people wearing them for fashion only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Haha it's better than trying to fake it for prescription ones. At least you can take them off. If you hate contacts and would never have laser surgery done like me you would come to loathe them.

If you want it then go for it. I think men can look very sexy with glasses (though that really does depend; also this is assuming that you're a guy).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

As a glasses wearer, i must admit if one of my friends admitted to wearing them without needing them, I would think less of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

floydmoon1 wrote: »
    What do ye think of people getting glasses when they dont need them just for fashion.Am thinking of doing this myself.Sure if i dont like them I can take them off anyway.Also is there any good places online to get them.Am looking for a pair of jasper conran jc11 but cant find the ones i want on ebay.

Go for it. I have 2 pairs that i alternate between when i feel like it (i dont need em) and they look great. I always get compliments form strangers when i wear them. Strange but its always people who dont need glasses that pull them off best. imho :p

Dont listen to these haters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,359 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

What do ye think of people getting glasses when they dont need them just for fashion.
    Some people actually look good behind frames. I have grand vision and don't need them, but do wear shades a lot, and a couple of them are not too dark and give a similar effect.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

cotwold wrote: »
    . Strange but its always people who dont need glasses that pull them off best. imho :p

suuuure:rolleyes::p

i wear glasses because i need them but i like them so i switch between them and contacts. i dont think theres any harm in wearing fake ones, a little vain maybe but sure thats what fashion and apearance is for. be prepared for ppl to assume you're more intelligent then you are though:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Dude........no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

wear them if u want! just make sure you get the anti-reflective coating on them (its brilliant) otherwise no one will be able to see your eyes if there is a light near you and it defeats the purpose of wearing the glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Go for it, sure i have glasses and hearing aids as fashion accessories and i dont need them, the chicks love trying on my glasses and licking my aids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

SDooM wrote: »
    As a glasses wearer, i must admit if one of my friends admitted to wearing them without needing them, I would think less of them.

+1

As a glasses wearer I cannot fathom why anyone would wear them as an accessory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

cotwold wrote: »
    Go for it. I have 2 pairs that i alternate between when i feel like it (i dont need em) and they look great. I always get compliments form strangers when i wear them. Strange but its always people who dont need glasses that pull them off best. imho :p

You have 2 pairs? My response to that is you have way too much money.

I once had a person come into me in the opticians who had just had laser and wanted prescription free lenses in her glasses. That certainly is like.. what a waste of money.

There's nothing wrong with wearing glasses if you don't need them. I dye my hair and wear hair extensions- I don't need to do either (no hair loss and no grey hairs) but I prefer my hair long and blonde than shorter and black. The OP is doing nobody any harm- just cos he doesn't need glasses doesn't mean it's wrong to want them! It's not a waste of money if it makes him happy, nobody needs a 50 inch plasma but there's plenty of people buying them instead of your regular 20 inch telly!

OP- Just head into your optician's and ask for clear glasses. Vision Express do designer ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

LuckyStar wrote: »
    The OP is doing nobody any harm- just cos he doesn't need glasses doesn't mean it's wrong to want them!

By any chance would you get braces just as a fashion accessory? "If they looked cool loike"

Davei141 wrote: »
    By any chance would you get braces just as a fashion accessory? "If they looked cool loike"

No, funny you should mention it, I had them because I needed them, and I still miss them because I thought they looked deadly! I had dark hair and glasses at the time so I was a super-nerd!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I'm a glasses wearer too - can't understand why you would want to spend sooo much money on designer frames if you don't need them.

Though each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Would these glasses be bad for your eyesight in the long term? It doesn't sound very wise to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Fashion accessory glasses have clear lenses, so it shouldnt impact on long-term eyesight,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

But I might have thought if the lenses were anyway dirty, even with a fleck of dust, it would mess up your eyes' focus?

What about glare etc.?

It seems a bit dodgy for someone with perfect eyesight to be wearing glass so close to the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭cotwold

IanCurtis wrote: »
    But I might have thought if the lenses were anyway dirty, even with a fleck of dust, it would mess up your eyes' focus?

What about glare etc.?

It seems a bit dodgy for someone with perfect eyesight to be wearing glass so close to the eyes.

Sunglasses?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Davei141 wrote: »
    LuckyStar wrote:
    The OP is doing nobody any harm- just cos he doesn't need glasses doesn't mean it's wrong to want them!
    Already been done. Get with the times man.

I can understand wanting them in the first place to make your teeth straight but wanting to keep them in after the treatment over is very weird. I can't wait to take them off.

I can understand wanting them in the first place to make your teeth straight but wanting to keep them in after the treatment over is very weird. I can't wait to take them off.

I thought they looked cute (lots of people do) and they added to my already geekyness which I had no problem with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

IanCurtis wrote: »

What about glare etc.?

Na one of my lenses is clear because of eyesight issues and it doesn't make a difference. Imo its silly and unnecessary to wear them just for fashion though. Next thing we will see people hopping around on crutches "coz they're so cool and trendy like".

Looking at the style of glasses just two decades ago I can see why people would never have worn them as fashion accessories but now there are glasses out there that do look pretty cool. I don't think you can compare it to braces, crutches and hearing aids because, currently, they don't look nice. I'm not including thick armed glasses in the nice category- I think they look horrible, they're not very feminine and they block your peripheral view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Na one of my lenses is clear because of eyesight issues and it doesn't make a difference. Imo its silly and unnecessary to wear them just for fashion though. Next thing we will see people hopping around on crutches "coz they're so cool and trendy like".
    How can you equate wearing glasses to using crutches? A lot of fashionable clothes are 'silly and unnecessary' - I mean what purpose do high-heeled shoes serve? If you say 'to make a girl seem taller', then why not have glasses to make someone seem different to how they usually are too?

Advertisement