Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Storage Question

Options
  • 09-02-2008 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

hiya

odd one, have a small very secure outdoor space to store my bike but no shed option, are there any devices / bags / boxes for year round bike storage in a place like this? been googling like mad but no joy?

suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

most bags/boxes are designed with travelling in mind. i assume you just wanna keep it protected from the weather without twisting the bars 90 degrees and removing pedals etc every day? the only thing i would suggest would be a decent cover from a hardware shop, like the one to cover an outdoor table or something. but someone else may have a better idea..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was going to advise a metal shed. You get it flat-pack and assemble it yourself. Many motorcyclists have one but I don't know how much room you have. It's an overkill solution anyway.

Just get a heavy (due to wind) motorcycle cover. Any dealer will sell them for around €30 and get a small one, most likely designed for a scooter.

They are heavy-duty, totally waterproof and will last years.
    I bought mine here and I think Argos sell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

^
    yep, sounds good to me.

i'd also say it would be a good idea to make sure that you keep all the moving parts well lubed with a thick lube (i.e. not wd40 which evaporates) to stop moisture/air causing corrosion. even under a tarp it'll be pretty damp out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

The problem with regular bike covers is that even if they prevent the bike from getting wet directly, the air under the cover will still be damp whenever the weather is damp.

There's a geezer in the UK (can't remember the name of the company) who sells vacuum storage bags for bikes and motorbikes. Basically, you put the bike in, suck the air out through a valve using a vacuum cleaner, and apparently the bike stays totally dry all year round, even when stored outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

bigpoppa wrote: »
    hiya

odd one, have a small very secure outdoor space to store my bike but no shed option, are there any devices / bags / boxes for year round bike storage in a place like this? been googling like mad but no joy?

suggestions?

If you can, leave it indoors. Secure and dry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

try argos - they have plasticmoulded sheds in all sorts of sizes

Advertisement