Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sensor cleaning in Dublin?

• 09-02-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

Are there any shops in Dublin who can clean a sensor without shipping the body elsewhere?

Tried my blower but it's making no difference in this case.
    In fact I'd say it's making things worse, cheap piece of junk that it is.

Alternatively is there anywhere that stocks decent sensor cleaning kits, swabs etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I rang conns or hallscameras, and they said it would cost some 100 euros, so I bought a kit on ebay for 15euro, and it worked quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

sasar wrote: »
    I rang conns or hallscameras, and they said it would cost some 100 euros, so I bought a kit on ebay for 15euro, and it worked quite well.

Any particular kit?

100€ is taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

Bermingham Cameras in Dublin 1 have kits or you can leave your camera with them and have it professionaly cleaned for €60

http://www.berminghamcameras.ie/store/index.php?target=categories&category_id=242

From their website

Digital Sensor Cleaning Service: We now provide a full digital sensor cleaning service by a trained technician. This service takes a maximum of 3 days at a cost of €60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

Ah, no just one of the cheap ones, but it cleaned my sensor no problem.

That's what I said, when they asked for a 100!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

How bad is the sensor?

if its just a bit of dust a blower might do the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

www.dml.ie do it for €46 and it takes about an hour.

unreggd wrote: »
    How bad is the sensor?

if its just a bit of dust a blower might do the job

There are roughly 10 very large spots, most near the center.

My blower made it worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I bought the copperhill imaging sensor swipe kit. It's a dry clean using a dry brush rubbed on clean velum to create a static charge that attratcs the dust away from the sensor. This worked fine for the most part. I did get some stubborn spots that needed a bit more work. I got a sensor swab kit in Gunns for about €38, with the correct size swabs, alcohol & instructions. A swab or 2 later and it was clean. Cheaper option than paying people to do it every time you need to do it.

Borderfox wrote: »
    www.dml.ie do it for €46 and it takes about an hour.

That's a bit more like it!

Have you had it done there yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

Another vote for Copperhill, really very easy once you make the leap of faith and just go for it. I had the kit sitting on my desk for a week, Photoshopping out dust bunnies while I sat and looked at it before I plucked up the courage to have a go!

• Advertisement

pete4130 wrote: »
    I got a sensor swab kit in Gunns for about €38, with the correct size swabs, alcohol & instructions.

Would you be able to tell me the name of that kit?

I won't be in Dublin for at least a month, but the girlfriend lives around the corner from Gunns.
    If I can give her the details she'll be able to bring the kit down to Tralee next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 malidali

Hi, this may help..just got my Nixon D3 sensor cleened at Camera Repair Centre. They do a wet sensor clean cost me 40 euro.

The receipt says www.camerarepaircentre.com and tel: 01 4781368. I am happy with this people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

malidali wrote: »
    Hi, this may help..just got my Nixon D3 sensor cleened at Camera Repair Centre. They do a wet sensor clean cost me 40 euro.

The receipt says www.camerarepaircentre.com and tel: 01 4781368. I am happy with this people.

DML will do it free of charge

I just bought one of those kits online.
    Still have most of it left and it cost me less than 40€.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 belfastman

Phoned DML today, yes sensor cleaning is free but only "butterfly brush" dry clean. No weld smear wet cleaning. I have to say they are very helpful and courteous. They are official Hasselblad agents and they also trade in camera accessories under Portobello Distributors Ltd. Gee, I learned a lot today.

Phoned DML today, yes sensor cleaning is free but only "butterfly brush" dry clean. No weld smear wet cleaning. I have to say they are very helpful and courteous. They are official Hasselblad agents and they also trade in camera accessories under Portobello Distributors Ltd. Gee, I learned a lot today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

belfastman wrote: »

Bring it in and they'll give the sensor a wet clean with Visible Dust swabs. ;)

Thanks thats great news. Much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stloupe

Mister Alan and Denise with young Daragh to help are the most genuine and helpful people I have meet. I brought my old hasseler for service and within a week serviced and restored to good health. Not only that,I am confined to a wheel chair and Alan knowing my difficulty delivered it home.

Advertisement