Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Picture Game.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

meercat wrote: »
    Old n3
    Between ross cross and petrol station?
    Cheers

Well spotted! I wasn't expecting anyone to recognise it that quickly :) So... do you know WHAT it was ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Apparently that's the only 2 storey Thatched Cottage in Meath still (just about) standing! It's a pity this can't be restored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

thanks lads
    i love this thread;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

A new one if I may! :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

The tree is a dead give away but I'll leave it and see will someone else recognise it. Nice take on it BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I spent plenty of nights under that tree with a bag of cans many moons ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Archeron wrote: »
    A new one if I may! :)

I was there just last week but I'll let the guessing go on.

PS: I pressed the wrong button when replying that's why "last edited" is present:o

I had a feeling a lot of people might know this one :D

That has to be Bective Abbey!

Great photo and interesting angle.

Bang on!! Bective Abbey it is.

Love that place, I took this during the really heavy snow over Christmas. It was beautiful over there.

• Advertisement

And they've finally decided to put a proper car park and entrance into the Abbey! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

chewed wrote: »
    And they've finally decided to put a proper car park and entrance into the Abbey! :)

That must have been what all the archeology going on at the front of the abbey recently was for. Was wondering!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

That must have been what all the archeology going on at the front of the abbey recently was for. Was wondering!

Yup, was talking to one of the archaeologists, she reckoned that they were digging faster than the OPW ;-)

If I may

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

Trim Castle?

mari2222 wrote: »
    Trim Castle?

Nope:p

If I may

Athlumney Castle!!! :D

I finally found it on Sunday and took a few snaps.. Beautiful building, but no access to it, so a lot of manouvring through rusty holes to get a shot. This is a great one.

Did you take this one through the gap in the steel gate where you have to peel back the rusty metal flap?

Athlumney Castle!!! :D

I finally found it on Sunday and took a few snaps.. Beautiful building, but no access to it, so a lot of manouvring through rusty holes to get a shot. This is a great one.

Did you take this one through the gap in the steel gate where you have to peel back the rusty metal flap?

Correct:D

Yes took from the gate but no steel sheet.
    Can't wait to get a look around it.

How do you get to Athlumney castle? Is it on the Duleek Road?

On the Kentstown / Duleek road out of Navan, take the first right turn. Up the hill, convent on the left hand side. Past this veering left and you'll see it on your left hand side. There is not great access to it at the moment though, as there is what looks like restoration works going on.

• Advertisement

How do you get to Athlumney castle? Is it on the Duleek Road?

It's on the Kentstown road just before the Boyne bridge, almost opposite from the entrance to Spicers. Follow that road, it turns into a one way street. Follow that and you can't miss it.
    You can't get inside, still trying to locate keys.

Damn, beatin to it:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Yup, was talking to one of the archaeologists, she reckoned that they were digging faster than the OPW ;-)

Why? Are they purposely hurrying it and possibly destroying some archaeology, or are the OPW purposely slowing things down to make work for themselves?

It's on the Kentstown road just before the Boyne bridge, almost opposite from the entrance to Spicers. Follow that road, it turns into a one way street. Follow that and you can't miss it.
    You can't get inside, still trying to locate keys.

Ah yes, I know it now! I've been always meaning to visit. I've a fetish for old ruins. :D

thanks for the info.

newmug wrote: »
    Why? Are they purposely hurrying it and possibly destroying some archaeology, or are the OPW purposely slowing things down to make work for themselves?

I'm not sure where the information on the archaeology dig came from! They had a dig there over a year ago.

The current works are rebuilding the old wall and adding in a proper car park and entrance. The old entrance was lethal to pedestrians and the car park was non-existent. I wrote to Noel Dempsey a few months back (when he was still in office) asking why there were no parking facilities and advised him to provide a proper entrance, car park and signage. I'd like to think he took my advice! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I'm not sure where the information on the archaeology dig came from! They had a dig there over a year ago.

The current works are rebuilding the old wall and adding in a proper car park and entrance. The old entrance was lethal to pedestrians and the car park was non-existent. I wrote to Noel Dempsey a few months back (when he was still in office) asking why there were no parking facilities and advised him to provide a proper entrance, car park and signage. I'd like to think he took my advice! ;)

Maybe he did, but I know a few years ago there were a lot of locals trying to get this done. I remember a child went through the gate and was hit by a car. Surprised it didn't happen more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

About a year ago, when the OPW began putting in the car-park, they first erected railings and that took as long as the dig.

It was a go at the OPW and anyone who has had the mixed pleasure of working with them would know how rapidly they resolve issues ;)

anybody mind if I throw another one up??

There sure are a lot of ruins in Meath!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭TheBigKahuna

anybody mind if I throw another one up??

There sure are a lot of ruins in Meath!!

The ruin just beside Slane bridge, on the back road? Dublin side?

Loads of battered place, left in ruins in Meath - like Nobber. :eek:

• Advertisement

The ruin just beside Slane bridge, on the back road? Dublin side?

Loads of battered place, left in ruins in Meath - like Nobber. :eek:

Yes, thats it alright. Anyone hazard a guess on the name of the place? :)

I only found out the name of it after I'd taken shots of it.

Advertisement