Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

rear shock absorber '00 megane

Options
  • 09-02-2008 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

hi folks,

having a bit of trouble with the motor. rear shock absorber must be pretty busted as every time i hit a pothole etc the back of the car gets a fair whack, noise a bit concerning to say the least. on a smooth road it's fine no noise whatsoever.

as luck would have it i have the nct on the 22nd of jan and would really appreciate it if somebody could tell me what rear shocks might cost for a '00 megane and the cost of fitting them.

thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Are you sure it's the shock? There are a number of components that, when faulty, could be responsible for symptoms you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

hi crosstownk,

no i'm not 100% sure that what i described is the problem, although it's about the only one i can think of that might be causing the problem.

i've got the car booked into be serviced (not by main dealer) next week. after early discussions, the mechanic seems to think that there is a problem with the gearbox and that this is causing the thud every time i hit a pothole or rough stretch of road. according to him it's not a big job and can be done quite easily.

trouble is after the nct i'm hoping to sell the car. i know that renaults come in for a fair bit of flack but i would like to move it. have done a lot of work to, timing belt, tyres, (next week) gearbox etc.

i guess my main gripe is that if i took the car for a test drive as a potential buyer i'd be unsure. i want to be 100% sure that the car is as good as it can be. i know some folk just chuck the car out there and hope for the best but i want to sell a car that is good.

Advertisement