Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek 7.2 FX

Options
  • 09-02-2008 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

Anyone with positives/negatives about this bike? Have spotted it in Cyclelogical for 420 euro, thinking about buying it this week. Mostly for commuting in&out of town, with the occasional trip up Dublin mountains but no major off-road.

Had considered Giant CRS 4.0 and Carrera Subway 2 but this seems to be the best allrounder in terms of components etc - contradictions welcome of course!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭csb1989

Hi, I have the trek 7.1FX for commuting around Dublin and its great for that. Its fairly low maintenance and tough enough to survive all the potholes, although its fairly heavy.

Im very happy with my 7.1 and I assume the 7.2 is just an uprated version (higher spec?) so for what u seem to want it to do it would be great

Hope this helps :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have the 7.1 FX, its a grand bike, can't fault it one bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've had a Trek 7200FX for over three years now. I use it for short commutes and in the summer some exercise. I used to use it for medium distance commutes. It's a decent bike and I've not had any trouble with mine. I've probably run up somewhere just over 5000 miles on mine since I bought it.

The one thing I'd point out after longer term ownership is that a colleague has a marginally less expensive Giant hybrid (can't remember the model) and the conditions in Galway have taken more of a toll on my bike. It's not really a major thing but materials in the allen bolts and other similar components in my Trek have all corroded where as his are in good condition. Mine stays indoors in my house at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fullerand

Thanks for the replys guys.

One thing - leeroybrown mentions the 7200 fx ... is this the same as 7.2fx? Have googled around but can't get a clear answer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

fullerand wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys guys.

One thing - leeroybrown mentions the 7200 fx ... is this the same as 7.2fx? Have googled around but can't get a clear answer...

Yep, more or less the same thing except the 7.2fx is a 2008 model.

Trek has renamed their models this year
    I know more about racing bikes than hybrids and in that side, the Trek 1000, 1200 and 1500 have been replaced with Trek 1.2, 1.5 and 1.7.

Just a marketing thing.
    Edit: This is afaik, could be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I have a 7.5 fx.. i think the 7.3fx has the hydroformed aluminium frame, which i think it makes it lighter than the 7.2. There's also a range called Soho which is similar but has front and rear disc brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I had a series of 7200 and 7300FXs around 2000-2002 or so and was very happy with them, but they kept getting stolen (I think I went through four.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I have the Trek 7.3FX, good light bike which I find fine for commuting each day to work.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 108 ✭✭conor rowan

im on a 7.3 at the moment and ive made it as far as he far side of iran, doing 7,000km through wind,rain,sun,snow. had a run of days in azerbaijan where the max temp was -12 c and min -25 c (coldest winter theyve had in 70 yrs) and the frame is stillin great condition although ive replaced the cassete and chain, so it def gets my thumbs up.

Advertisement