Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a new Wireless Modem/Router ??

Options
  • 09-02-2008 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi.

I have been having problems with my Netgear DG834G for a while now so I figure it's about time to upgrade. Would anyone have any ideas on what to get?

With the Eircom speed increases due to arrive in the next few months I guess it's time to get an ADSL2 modem. I've been reading around the place that the Netgear can have issues with torrents so I will probably move away from Netgear.

I see lots of different models around, the Belkin. I am totally confused by the different models. G or G+ or N or N1.

What about Linksys? would anyone have any advice ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

What version DG834 is it? As from v3.0 onwards they did support ADSL2+.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Spear

It's a V2. I've had it for quite a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

maximus02 wrote: »
    Spear

It's a V2. I've had it for quite a while.

Then it's ADSL1 and still good up to 12 megs max. ADSL2 would provide better signal stability and room to upgrade in the future though. Avoid Belkin, no-one seems to like them. A later DG834 or a Linksys WAG354G would do good. Unless you want to go to 802.11N wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Anything but belkin. The basic Linksys models are pretty dependable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Onikage wrote: »
    Anything but belkin. The basic Linksys models are pretty dependable.

Agree I recently bought this one, put up with Netopia for too long :p

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=3NNZ&CategorySelectedId=11177&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11177,50468,11,4294960261

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What problems are you having with the netgear?

The latest firmware upgrades it to adsl 2

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D103044.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

Hi All

There is not too much I can point to with the Netgear but I am just having doubts about it.

For the past couple of weeks, I can often log into websites fine and then suddenly everything seems to stop for a few minutes when I try to access websites.

For the past few days I have been unable to log into the Netgear although I can ping it ok and can access the internet. If I try to log into Netgear the browser just hangs.

In any case I now just don't trust it and I think it may well be time to upgrade.

Thanks for help.

Advertisement