Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Personalised registration plates

Options
  • 09-02-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

hi
    Just wondering if personalised registration plates in ireland are legal because i have seen a few cars with them,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what do you mean by personalised?

different font? different colour? you can reserve certain numbers if you like, but that's about as far as it goes. there are regulations as to the font, size, and spacing of letters. and the shape/size of plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

roxychix wrote: »
    hi
    Just wondering if personalised registration plates in ireland are legal because i have seen a few cars with them,
    Were they Irish registrations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

I've always wondered about reserved numbers 08 D 911, etc (yawn). Anyone know what you have to pay for the privilege, AudiChris?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

well bought new 05 audi a4 and its vlack looking to know if you get black plates with silver writing. You do have to show the year of car and county right you cant change that can u?
    any idea wer to get them done

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You can put whatever you want on the plates, but by law they must be black lettering on white. The law also specifies what font type and size and spacing you can use. You must also display county and country as per regulations. So, you can have your silver on black, but it won't pass an NTC and it won't be legal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Personalised name plates... Hmm, take a look at this thread.
    You could always just change your name to 05 D 12345.
    As for the colour, font and size of the actual reg plate anything
    that deviates from the norm is both illegal and will cause you to
    fail the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭roxychix

cheers guys for the response fastest ever will look at the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

I've always wondered about reserved numbers 08 D 911, etc (yawn). Anyone know what you have to pay for the privilege, AudiChris?

315 quid.

This person must get pulled A LOT :D

887070_20080114010111_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you're looking for a reg like 08D8080 or 08D535, then this'll do it!
    If you're looking for coloured plates, then probably try a motor factors (never done them before).

http://www.revenue.ie/forms/vrt15a.pdf

Fill it in, send it in with a cheque for €315, cross your fingers! :)

The Basic Rules:
    - The car has to be registered to the name and address you nominate, but you don't need to nominate a car. This means you can reserve your cool registration before you even know what you're planning to buy!
    - You're not guaranteed to get the number, you'll get a letter from them that says if you were successful or not
    - You can't put a car on the road out of sequence (i.e. you can't drive 08D60000 on public roads until somebody's registered 08D59999)
    - You can't apply for a 09 reg until Nov '08. When you put your application in they'll just put it in the pile and notify you before Jan '09. If more than one person applies for a reg, it's allocated on a lottery system.
    - You can apply for an 08 reg now, you'll know pretty much straight away if the reg is available or not
    - If you're not successful getting a reg, they return your application fee and you get to try again!

Damn, beaten to it!

Do you people not have anything better to do on a Saturday night?? :p

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Cheers Chris! Another mystery of the universe solved...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Just one other thing - I think they cash your cheque whether you get the number or not, and the refund you if you miss out - good oul revenue:rolleyes:

I applied for one in Nov 05 (for 06) and got letter to say they had my app, cheque was cashed immediately, and then I got my number - a week or two later.

Was thinking of doing same last Nov for a 08 but was not really sure when I was planning on getting the car and - natural ones I wanted was 08 xx 8080 or 08 xx 888 (Lucky 8's;-)) as I have 06 xx 8080 but did not bother. If I order the car for 1st July then I may go a number later in the range. The 8080 is a techie thing by the way - no slagging or asking what county xx is either:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I haven't read the other thread but there is another relevant point.
    Afaik I know if you are in Dublin, Waterford, Cork, Limerick or Kilkenny then you cannot have No. 1 as that is reserved for the Lord Mayor of each city.

Apologies if I've missed a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

MarkN wrote: »
    315 quid.

This person must get pulled A LOT :D

887070_20080114010111_1.jpg

Evidently not ! You're mistaking Ireland for a country where law enforcement actually occurs and where custodians of the law actually know what is legal and what is not !

Just one other thing - I think they cash your cheque whether you get the number or not, and the refund you if you miss out - good oul revenue:rolleyes:

Not to my knowledge - any time I've had a registration refused, the original cheque has accompanied the letter of refusal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What would you prefer? Should the cheque be sitting on desks across the department?
    What would happen if they decided person A should get the reg number, the revenue tell all the others and return the uncashed cheques, and then it turns out that person A's cheque bounced?

I applied for one in Nov 05 (for 06) and got letter to say they had my app, cheque was cashed immediately
    Why would Revenue cash a cheque? Surely they would lodge it to their account!
    micmclo wrote: »
    Afaik I know if you are in Dublin, Waterford, Cork, Limerick or Kilkenny then you cannot have No. 1 as that is reserved for the Lord Mayor of each city.

Apologies if I've missed a city.
    Not in Kilkenny - they seem to be reserved for JJ Kavanagh! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You need to be fast to beat JJ Kavanagh.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I don't understand how they manage it. They seems to get no. 1 in 3 or 4 counties (and 11, 111, 111 in those counties also).

Does no-one else in Kilkenny, Waterford, Tipperary, Laois etc. apply for no. 1.?
    How does JJ's name always come out of the hat?

AFAIK one may only make one application for each number. :confused:

• Advertisement

I reckon they have help on the inside.

I will apply for a few 09 's for the laugh and see if I can get any.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Bond-007 wrote: »

I thought it was a lottery? Or supposed to be at least. So if your in before the deadline you should have as much of a chance as anyone.

All points to an insider alright.

Another point, how does JJ Kavanagh manage to get regs for TN, LS etc as he is located in Urlingford which is in deepest Kilkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Urlingford isnt "deepest Kilkenny" - its right on the Tipp North border and very close to Laois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not in Kilkenny - they seem to be reserved for JJ Kavanagh! :D

Ah but Kilkenny isn't a real city anyway ;)

You are right though, I've seen a few 1 TN regs around on JJ Kavanagh buses. They are a Kilkenny company but they do a lot of business in Tipp.
    It's amazing how they do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jeremyisagod

i dont know if anyone has pointed this out before....but silver on black regs are only allowed for the Defence Forces as far as i know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Nelly23

Worst persionalised plate I seen was on a Ford Puma up the north...it read...
    T04B07...(TOYBOY)!! I still chickle thinking about it:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Nelly23 wrote: »
    Worst persionalised plate I seen was on a Ford Puma up the north...it read...
    T04B07...(TOYBOY)!! I still chickle thinking about it:D!

Surely you mean T0Y 80 Y?

Is it a UK one because T04B07 doesn't look UK?

Jimmy White had CUE 80 Y (cue boy) & Paul Daniels MAG 1 C. MAG 1 C is pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Are the old style black & silver embossed vintage plates not legal on vintage vehicle only??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Most forms of personalised plate are naff and make the driver look like an image-obsessed gob***** with some serious insecurity issues. Well, maybe that's a pop-psychology simplification but they do look a bit sad IMHO!

What happens if you get a standard plate you don't like though? I'd be a bit creeped if I turned up to collect my shiny new motor to find out I'd been allocated 08-*-666 for example:eek:...

Advertisement