Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Personalised registration plates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

666 is not issued in the normal course of business. You have to request it via the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

TOY 80Y is issued to a Porsche Boxter, not a Ford Puma... could easily be the same meaning though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Can you put in for a few different ones with preference on them or can you just put in to regiter 3 or 4, pay the reg fee and choose one of the ones you get in the end while getting a refund for the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 northernstar

Are black number plates legal on cars of certain ages?

They are legal on vintage cars, i.e. cars over 30 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Bond-007 wrote: »
    They are legal on vintage cars, i.e. cars over 30 years old.
    They are also legal on pre - 1986 cars too.

They are also legal on pre - 1986 cars too.
    I thought that they had to black on red on the rear and black on white to the front?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

No, they were all standardised to grey on black. The black on red plates aren't used any more unless a car from that era is still running, AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jeremyisagod

Bond-007 wrote: »
    666 is not issued in the normal course of business. You have to request it via the lottery.

trust me, you CAN get 666 on ur reg plate without ordering it!!! my boyfriends car has those freaky digits. and would you believe it breaks down all the time...he only got it back from a 'service' and it broke down 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

trust me, you CAN get 666 on ur reg plate without ordering it!!! my boyfriends car has those freaky digits. and would you believe it breaks down all the time...he only got it back from a 'service' and it broke down 2 days later.

Did he buy that car new? If you check a site like www.cartell.ie you will see that virtually no 666 plates are issued in any county any year. I've only ever seen one with a "666" reg a wine Golf 96-LH-666, I think (edit: correction 01-lh-666):

Registration 01LH666
    Make VOLKSWAGEN
    Model GOLF
    Description TDI COMF 1.9
    Engine Capacity(cc) 1896
    Fuel Type DIESEL
    (from cartell.ie)

They also don't issue 13 unless requested.

• Advertisement

They stopped because a nun got a 666 plate and the story made the papers.

Did he buy that car new? If you check a site like www.cartell.ie you will see that virtually no 666 plates are issued in any county any year. I've only ever seen one with a "666" reg a wine Golf 96-LH-666, I think.

They also don't issue 13 unless requested.

no he didnt buy it new, but i know the previous owner and i highly doubted that that person would be into the 666 thing....oh its **-**-**666 by the way....i really should have mentioned that before! sorry!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I think 99D666 was on a Merc ML iirc. Looked pretty cool to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

There was definitely a red Fiat Brava with XX D 666 as the reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

colm_mcm wrote: »
    there are regulations as to the font..
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    You The law also specifies what font type and size and spacing you can use.
    As for the colour, font and size of the actual reg plate anything
    that deviates from the norm is both illegal and will cause you to
    fail the NCT.
    AudiChris wrote: »

Regulations as to the colour, font, size and spacing of letters are pretty specific...

It keeps coming up but people still think the font is laid down in law. Search this page for the word font.

sesswhat wrote: »
    It keeps coming up but people still think the font is laid down in law. Search this page for the word font.

The size restrictions effectively control the font. Its not like Germany where there is ein font for ein people (sorry...) but its fairly close.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

13. The placename shall appear in black letters above the identification mark and each letter of the placename shall have a height of not less than 12 millimetres and a stroke width of not less than 3 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter (other than the letter I) shall not be less than 9 millimetres. Where an accented vowel occurs in the placename the length accent character shall have a height of 2 millimetres above the letter. The distances between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be uniform. Where the placename comprises more than one word the distances between the nearest letters of adjoining words shall be uniform and not less than three times the distance between adjoining letters.

14. The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter “I” or the number “I”) shall be not less than 36 millimetres and not more than 50 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

^^Font^^

It defines the height, width, stroke and gaps between the letters. These are all componants of Font.

MYOB wrote: »
    The size restrictions effectively control the font.

I can't see how. There are any number of fonts that could be adapted to conform to these rules. I imagine it's mostly down to the fact that most number plate making equipment is the same.

13. The placename shall appear in black letters above the identification mark and each letter of the placename shall have a height of not less than 12 millimetres and a stroke width of not less than 3 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter (other than the letter I) shall not be less than 9 millimetres. Where an accented vowel occurs in the placename the length accent character shall have a height of 2 millimetres above the letter. The distances between the nearest parts of adjoining letters shall be uniform. Where the placename comprises more than one word the distances between the nearest letters of adjoining words shall be uniform and not less than three times the distance between adjoining letters.

14. The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter “I” or the number “I”) shall be not less than 36 millimetres and not more than 50 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

^^Font^^

It defines the height, width, stroke and gaps between the letters. These are all componants of Font.

And also, don't forget:

2. The identification mark of a vehicle shall be displayed on a rectangular plate which shall correspond with either Diagram No. 1 or Diagram No. 2 shown below.

...which refers to two pictures that illustrate the proscribed style of registration plates - clearly showing a non-italicised, sans-serif style of typeface.
    Combined with the qualities defined by Cookie Monster, I reckon we have a font! ;)

I can't see how. There are any number of fonts that could be adapted to conform to these rules. I imagine it's mostly down to the fact that most number plate making equipment is the same.

"adapting" a font means its not a font anymore. Oddly enough, when you "adapt" them, they all look nearly identical...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It defines the height, width, stroke and gaps between the letters. These are all components of Font.
    Yes, they are, but they aren't exhaustive. No mention of serif or non-serif, whether an O is elliptical or slightly squared off, whether a 7 has a bar through it or not, whether an 'A' is pointed at the top or more like an 'H' with the top closed off etc., etc., etc. You could fit quite a few quite different fonts into that description, including, probably the German style plates that are so popular.

Not that I'm condoning it mind you. I reckon there should be a standard font, but unfortunately there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

AudiChris wrote: »
    ...which refers to two pictures that illustrate the proscribed style of registration plates - clearly showing a non-italicised, sans-serif style of typeface.
    Combined with the qualities defined by Cookie Monster, I reckon we have a font! ;)
    Unless they show every possible letter and digit in this supposed 'font' in the document referred to then no, we don't 'have a font', I'm afraid :D

^^Font^^

You could take a huge variety of fonts, change all of these things to fit the specifications without changing the basic style of the font itself.

As for
    MYOB wrote:
    "adapting" a font means its not a font anymore. Oddly enough, when you "adapt" them, they all look nearly identical...

Utter nonsense.

Ok, enough with the semantics. I reckon Roxychix question's been answered by now anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What is the legality of stragically placed screw covers??

Like I know of a car where the screw cover is black and at first glance the 1 looks very much like a four.

It is a stock plate

What is the legality of stragically placed screw covers??

Like I know of a car where the screw cover is black and at first glance the 1 looks very much like a four.

It is a stock plate

"3. (a) The plate on which an identification mark is exhibited (in this Schedule referred to as “the plate”) shall not contain any words, letters, numbers, emblems or other marks of any kind other than those required under this Schedule."

So I suppose this would make them illegal:)

You could take a huge variety of fonts, change all of these things to fit the specifications without changing the basic style of the font itself.

Do you haver *any idea* what a "font" (as opposed to a basic typeface family) actually is? Clearly not, as changing even one aspect of it alters it entirely.

The only "utter nonsense" here is come from you.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"3. (a) The plate on which an identification mark is exhibited (in this Schedule referred to as “the plate”) shall not contain any words, letters, numbers, emblems or other marks of any kind other than those required under this Schedule."

So I suppose this would make them illegal:)
    I think that would be a very grey area. I don't think it is a mark - if it was then all screws or screw caps would render the plates illegal.

could you then technically have the type of plates you want, then on the day of ur NCT change ur plates to the 'normal' ones!?

• Advertisement

could you then technically have the type of plates you want, then on the day of ur NCT change ur plates to the 'normal' ones!?
    You have never been to Donegal, have you?

Advertisement