Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me find these ingrediants

• 09-02-2008 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Howdi,

Never been on this forum before but recently got a "muscle chow" cook book by Gregg Aveddon and need a little help finding some of the ingrediants so if anybody can help id greatly appreciate it!

(1) Wholegrain pastry flour
    (2) Featherweight baking powder
    (3) oh and is jam the same as whole fruit preserve? if not then fruit preserve!
    (4) Prepared horseradish

Thanks! (P.S. i live in Dublinon the southside! )

Comments

They sell prepared horseradish in a jar in the polish food section.
    I'm not a condiment person so maybe it is also sold beside the mustards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

1. Wholegrain pastry flour = Wholegrain flour / Brown flour
    2. Featherweight baking powder = Baking powder (no difference)
    3.Whole fruit preserve = Jam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Wholegrain pastry flour = wholemeal flour. Not the same as 'brown' flour which can easily be just as refined as white flour.

You can actually buy wholegrain/meal pastry flour, I assume it is a finer grade.
    I have no idea where though.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Superdub2

anybody any ideas where to get whole- grain / meal flour??

Thanks for all the help so far! also can somebody tell me if ground beef is the same thing as minced beef?? Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Any supermarket should have the flour.

Ground beed is mince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I know my tesco only has coarse wholemeal flours.

Check out this site
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~mbishop/engfood.html

I really hate American recipes, different words is one thing, the volumetric measurement system is what really drives me mad, its 2008 FFS, start using SI/metric units like every other fecking country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Any supermarket should have the flour.

Ground beed is mince.

Would ground not be more ground (for want of a better word!) than mince? That's what I always get when I ask my butcher for ground beef. (Although I think it is mince in America, so it depends on if it's an American book.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

janeybabe wrote: »
    Would ground not be more ground (for want of a better word!) than mince? That's what I always get when I ask my butcher for ground beef. (Although I think it is mince in America, so it depends on if it's an American book.)
    You have it the wrong way round. It is called 'mince' in Ireland & 'ground beef' in the US. It is exactly the same thing.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You have it the wrong way round. It is called 'mince' in Ireland & 'ground beef' in the US. It is exactly the same thing.

No sorry, my post wasn't clear, I was saying that mince IS called ground beef in the US. But that my butchers both in Galway and Cork grind the beef up more if you ask for ground rather than mince. But I suppose it depends on the butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

janeybabe wrote: »
    No sorry, my post wasn't clear, I was saying that mince IS called ground beef in the US. But that my butchers both in Galway and Cork grind the beef up more if you ask for ground rather than mince. But I suppose it depends on the butcher.

That would be my understanding too. If you asked for ground here it would be like liquidised stuff, suitable for burgers, many people do not like the texture of burgers made from mince. Any butcher with a clue would ask if you wanted it for burgers or a US recipie.

I wonder what they ask for in the US when they do want fully ground/liquidised meat, maybe "hamburger meat".

rubadub wrote: »
    That would be my understanding too. If you asked for ground here it would be like liquidised stuff, suitable for burgers, many people do not like the texture of burgers made from mince. Any butcher with a clue would ask if you wanted it for burgers or a US recipie.

I wonder what they ask for in the US when they do want fully ground/liquidised meat, maybe "hamburger meat".

I've heard Americans talking about hamburger meat alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

rubadub wrote: »
    I really hate American recipes, different words is one thing, the volumetric measurement system is what really drives me mad, its 2008 FFS, start using SI/metric units like every other fecking country!
    Actually, in Sweden (and possibly other Scandinavian countries as well), they use volumetric measures, and measure lots of their dry ingredients in dl (decilitres). They usually specify wet ingredients in dl instead of ml as well, so 2dl of milk instead of 200ml.

I have to say, I'm not really a 'recipe person', and when I'm assessing quantities to 'bung' in my dishes, I'm looking primarily at their volume in relation to other ingredients and how much I want to prepare, not their weight, to be honest, so maybe it isn't such a silly way of doing things after all.

Advertisement