Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet Potatoes (aka yams/kumara)

• 09-02-2008 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I saw a recipe on tv the other day for chips made from sweet potato (cut the potatoes into chips, mix with olive oil, paprika and cayenne pepper and cook in the oven for 40 minutes). Made them tonight and it was delicious! I've been looking recipes etc up online as we're looking to reduce our carb content. I'm presuming that sweet potatoes are failry carbohydratey (if that's a word!). According to wikipedia they're better nutritonally than normal potatoes. Is this correct? We really enjoyed the sweet potato chips tonight so we were thinking of trying to cook things with sweet potato more. If they are better for you we'll definitely do this. Anybody have any info?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I had a thread here that gives some good info about them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You could also try: Parsnips, Carrots or Butternutsquash cooked in a similar fashion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Just a point - yams are not kumara/sweet potato....Sweet potato is called a yam in some parts of the USA, but the Asian shops in Dublin that sell yams are not as easily confused.

Advertisement