Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Press Photo Awards 2007

• 09-02-2008 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

http://blogoscoped.com/worldpressphoto/

I have to say that I thought the World Press Photo of the Year - Tim Hetherington's shot of the American soldier in Afghanistan - was not a deserving winner.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Damn. Missed that. Sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I was getting sense of Deja Vu again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Must agree about that shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭liveforphotos

I agree. I really didn't think much of that shot. If that's the pick of the crop, it must have been a bad year.
    Carrigman wrote: »
    http://blogoscoped.com/worldpressphoto/

I have to say that I thought the World Press Photo of the Year - Tim Hetherington's shot of the American soldier in Afghanistan - was not a deserving winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Was that taken on a camera phone?

My friend called me about it and said it was good so I had a much better image in my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lol, i think all of them are quite ****..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wow -- i think its an amazing shot -- sure technically its not perfect , but in a way thats what makes it for me , the sense of tiredness, despair, disillusionment and confusuion in his face just captures a fealing of whats this insane war about -- super shot -- the good thing about photography is thankfully we all have different tastes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

http://blogoscoped.com/worldpressphoto/large/17.jpg

this shot OOZES Diane Arbus.... Hmmm....

the last phoot of the animal is weird. Never heard of a narwhal before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Unicorns of the sea... (thought to be where the myths about unicorns came from).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

lol, i think all of them are quite ****..

I'm sure they can look the same way at yours!

Rojo, aye, Diane Arbus all over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I really like the american soldier shot - for me it's a photo of emotion. something that all the science of photography can't dictate.

I remember the feature in National Geographic that the narwhal shot is from. I'd have picked a different one from the article personally, but I can clearly remember the page that picture was on. Maybe that's the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm sure they can look the same way at yours!

And thats the beauty of it all :) Everyone sees things in a different way. If we didn't - we'd all be taking the same pics! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Tim Hetherington died today, doing what he did - that image from 2007 has more meaning and resonance than ever -

R.I.P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Read about this earlier. Chris Hondros was also reported deceased in the same attack. Haven't heard any confirmation on which side was firing the mortars that caused the deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭tororosso

emrys wrote: »

In fairness there is nothing to suggest that it was deliberate targetting. They were in the frontline and with the rebel troops. Sad news nonetheless

Advertisement