Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question but why bleed your brakes?

Options
  • 09-02-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I have changed the pads on my mountain bike a few times with no bother but never seen the reason to bleed the breaks. Is this something that should be done frequently? just wondering the reasons why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

ollietrex wrote: »
    I have changed the pads on my mountain bike a few times with no bother but never seen the reason to bleed the breaks. Is this something that should be done frequently? just wondering the reasons why?

yup, i do mine every 3 months to keep them tip top.
    well, once air gets in they feel spongy and crappy tbh, you should bleed yours and see the difference, somtimes you forget how solid a well set up pair of hydraulics are.
    Air will find its way in eventually, through the hoses, O-rings, seals etc.
    also if the piston pops the pads out and you cant lever it back in(dont try this unless you know how to)you will have to bleed it.
    some systems are better, IMO shimano(ive a set of deore) and tektro(had a set of augira) are great, with fluid in top and out the calliper, also mineral is better.
    I have a set of hayes Nine too and they are messy as you push the fluid through the calliper and out the lever with some messy connections.
    speaking of which i need to do mine.

Advertisement