Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on accommodation for next year

• 09-02-2008 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm in serious need of finding somewhere else to live for next year.

Currently living in digs, but I no longer feel that they are of benefit to me, especially with regards me buying food outside of home numerous times, and my room being small thanks to a low-ceiling as it's a dormer house.

I want to know what would anyone reccomend for next year? Should I move to campus, or look to house-share? Most of my mates here do commute but I cannot commute, so I'd have to probably house-share with people I don't know.

Any advice please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Man get out of digs, dont know how anyone can do them. I know someone who was in digs in Leixlip :eek:

Are you talking about this semester?

If so get onto the Residence Office they should have a list of houses that are looking for people. Very much doubt you will be able to get on campus at this stage but then again one of my mates said he was commuting every day from Dundalk (which is a 2+ hour journey each way) and got it for the 2nd semester.

Anyway just move in with people you dont know but try and get people who are in the same year as you like if your a 1st year you dont want to be living with a postgrad. Might be a good idea when you have the list to look for the name of the person to contact and look up their bebo just to give you an indication what they are like and would you get along with them like into sports, heading out ect.

Should be a good few house looking for people with students dropping out and doing Industrial Placement ect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

House share, much better option, cheaper and more freedom than campus. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

nothing wrote: »
    House share, much better option, cheaper and more freedom than campus. :)

is on campus bad? just checkin... do they let u have visitors over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

conbob wrote: »
    is on campus bad? just checkin... do they let u have visitors over?

If you have a house party security come up to end it within 30mins, you have to sign people in before 10 if they want to stay over but this is only for River and Rye Aparments but only one person per room, the Village apartments cant have anyone stay over. But I can tell you now that not one person signs anyone in, can have as many people as you want (I had 5 people in my room one night) and as for the Village same things happen I know a girl who has 7 people in her room one night.

Showers are ****e, and very expensive (€105 a wk) while a house would work out as €60+ a wk

But other than that they are great!

eamoss wrote: »
    If you have a house party security come up to end it within 30mins, you have to sign people in before 10 if they want to stay over but this is only for River and Rye Aparments but only one person per room, the Village apartments cant have anyone stay over. But I can tell you now that not one person signs anyone in, can have as many people as you want (I had 5 people in my room one night) and as for the Village same things happen I know a girl who has 7 people in her room one night.

Showers are ****e, and very expensive (€105 a wk) while a house would work out as €60+ a wk

But other than that they are great!

hm they both sound great. so given the choice and forgettin the price which would you pick. on campus or house share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭nothing

House share, you get tenants rights etc that you don't get with campus accomadation.

nothing wrote: »
    House share, you get tenants rights etc that you don't get with campus accomadation.

i see i see... but next year id be a 1st year so i couldnt start straight into a house share. would i be able to pay for semester 1 of on campus and then move out or would i have to pay for the 2 semesters?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭catyb20

conbob wrote: »
    i see i see... but next year id be a 1st year so i couldnt start straight into a house share. would i be able to pay for semester 1 of on campus and then move out or would i have to pay for the 2 semesters?

Why couldnt you? When i was in first year i moved into a house where i knew one person...in second year i lived on campus (hated it) knew nobody there, 3rd I knew one person before i moved into a house and it was great! I defo recommend house share. Campus will give you listings as someone else mentioned but you should also look on daft.ie.

Not sure how living on campus with regards to staying/paying for just one semester works....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

catyb20 wrote: »
    Not sure how living on campus with regards to staying/paying for just one semester works....

You pay for the year in 2 lump sums, if you want to move out tell them before you pay for the 2nd, any money owed is generally given back, at least thats what happened when my friend moved out, lived in the village fo 2 years, wasnt that bad, big room, **** showers but could literally roll out of bed into lectures, people i lived with were a laugh and generally everybody else was having parties so we didnt have to. Paying for food was grand if you availed of Aldi and the student meat offer in the butchers by tesco, seriously check it out, 9.99 for enough meat for 2 weeks provided you have a freezer

Advertisement