Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about getting a bike. Advice required.

• 09-02-2008 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

The unnecessary boredom of sitting in Dublin traffic for hours has finally taken its toll and I'm nearly certain I want a motorbike but I know nothing about them, except for its very manly and involves wearing lots of leather.

What's the deal with the provisional bike licence. Once I pass the theory test for the A or A1 licence, is it just a matter of buying a bike and insurance and waiting for the test? Is the driving test difficult to pass, long waiting times?

Insurance, is it expensive for learners? I'm 23 with a full car licence which I gather is irrelevant when its comes to bike insurance.

I've become accustomed to having legs for the last 23 years, and I really like them tbh, so I wouldn't dare head out on the road without some thorough lessons. How much would proper lessons from a qualified instructor cost and how are they actually carried out?

I've heard there are restrictions on the various licence categories. What type of bike can I buy on a provisional or A/A1 licence and for how long would I be restricted to it? I have a max budget of €6000 for the bike and insurance but I haven't a clue what to look for.

What are running costs like compared to the average 1.6L Irish car, petrol, tax, maintenance etc?

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Went through one of the sticky [Motorbike Resources] posts and found this blog link,

http://bikeireland.blogspot.com/

Guy who does the car to bike transition and explains the journey and what things cost etc. Worth the read. Then you can ask again for things you still don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Is your new bike just going to be a means to an end, by that I mean do you care about
    1. how fast you can go
    2. What you'll look like on it

So lets look at 1, as you said you just want to beat traffic in town so speed really isn't a big thing as you will spend most of your time filtering by traffic so have you thought about a 50cc scooter which if you have a full car licence means no test as your car licence covers you. If you are worried about speed(ish) as in keeping up with traffic on most roads well then you could stick to a 125cc you will need a bike licence an A1. If you want to go fast (exact speed thats up to you), you'll need an A licence to ride anything above a 125, but only after you've driven a restricted or a 125 bike for two years.
    Ok so 2, what you'll look like. Will being seen riding a scooter bother you, not as strange a statement as you'd think, some guys I work with claim they wouldn't be seen dead riding my scooter. The fact I spend an extra hour in bed every morning doesn't compute with them, they would however love to be seen riding a big 1000cc tourer, not great for filtering mind you. Next safety gear, not all people wear the full leather suit as it can be impractable if you then can't get changed in work. You will need a good quality I repeat quality helmet and gloves along with good cold/wet weather gear with full body armour (hips, knees, elbows, shoulders, back etc) read up on this, again don't go cheap the more expensive gear could last up to ten years so it's a good investment. I've seen people wearing a suit trousers and overcoat on scooters :eek:, I'm not saying you will!! come off but tommorrow morning before you get into the car or hell do it now rub the heel of your hand along the path it'll hurt but not as much as your knee after your tissue paper slack trouser has melted away as it slides along the road at 20kph.

Once you've thought these through you can then worry about riding positions, stability at low speeds and the other concerns before you do buy a bike.
    I hope I've helped somewhat, I've been riding a 125cc scooter for the last four years its nippy enough for me, cheap insurance, plenty of room under the seat for stuff. I've only had the one incident, elderly gentlemen pulled out in front of me but because I was wearing the proper gear and had gotten the proper training (I was riding defensively so was prepared for the impact) I got away with nothing more than bruising. I'm delighted to see you realise that you need training. Good luck what ever you decide to do and make good use of that extra time in bed you'll get ;) if you do get a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks for the replies. I think a scooter is out of the equation as I'd be looking for something that could do 130km/h. I am well over 6ft tall so I don't know if that effects the type of bike I'd need. My plan would be to keep my car and have the bike as backup if I need to get somewhere without getting held up in traffic and weekends.

Regarding the leathers, do you sweat like crazy with your normal clothes underneath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

thought i might hikejack this thread so not to put up yet another "getting a motor" thread :)

I'm in galway and although im doing alright getting around i might be moving to the other side of town soon enough and that would mean a longer walk or bus to college. plus i have sports on the other side which would make it unwalkable and connection buses just dont make sense.
    what type of driving test would i need to take?
    was thinking of getting a 50 cc moped from this crowd http://www.scooter.co.uk/index.php, apparently they cut out the middle man, ie. cheaper and being kinda girly (i'm willing to admit it) i'd like a pretty one ;)
    would this be a good idea or what? going with these ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Legend of a post by Reg'stoy, I realy can't add anything to it.
    Nephew, your first post was about sitting in Dublin traffic but at the same time you are looking to motorway speeds? :confused:
    What is your commute as if across the city than a scooter is ideal as filtering a big, heavy motorcycle through is not only hard but tiring too.
    You can't beat the twist and go simplicity of a scooter.
    Yes, your mates may laugh at you on the scooter but they're only jealous :D

But if you are doing high speeds then you are looking at 125cc minimum and it can be a scooter or motorcycle. There are loads of options for a taller rider. Any large scooter will do and a Honda Varadero is an excellent first bike imo, I've got one.
    But if you might be doing trips on a motorway at weekends as you say in your second post, then maybe 125cc won't realy cut it.

My advice before you do anything is do a days training and see if you actually enjoy it (you will!)
    There are lots of options, I've dealt with this guy and passed my test before I ever bought a motorcycle.

spinandscribble,

You get what you pay for and I'd advise you to run a mile from that crowd.
    There are loads of importers setting up and selling cheap Chineese models. They are little more than copies of well known brands and are known for being unreliable rubbish. Good luck getting spare parts.
    Definitly get your scooter but go with Honda, Suzuki or Yamaha. Peugeot, Gilera or Aprila are big too, probably more stylish but not as reliable.
    Edit: I forgot the classic Vespa or Lambretta. I think they are dog ugly but some reckon they are retro and cool.

• Advertisement

My daily commute is Bray to Newcastle which is 35km's. The m50 is what really adds time to the journey. A couple of nights a week I have to go from Newcastle to the city centre at 5pm so I get stuck in heavy traffic pretty much from the Red Cow on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

Nephew wrote: »
    My daily commute is Bray to Newcastle which is 35km's. The m50 is what really adds time to the journey. A couple of nights a week I have to go from Newcastle to the city centre at 5pm so I get stuck in heavy traffic pretty much from the Red Cow on.

Some of the advise above is good and some is bollix,
    i have drove bikes for the past 10 years and im only 2 years older than you.
    log on to the IBF (irish biker forum) and send me a pm we have all the info you need there
    Regards
    Limerick Bandit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

To do 130KM while being over 6ft I'd say a 250cc so it's not too stressed. 125 might get to 130km but won't be too happy sitting at it for 35km. Don't wear clothes under your leathers. Bring a change with you otherwise you'll either roast or freeze. You could also go for cordura/kevlar which tend to be waterproof too but I find leather more comfortable especially in summer. A 250 can be nice and light for going through traffic.

Thanks for the advice. I just applied for the theory test, earliest saturday I could get was late March.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

rofl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

2008 post and all

flippin heck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Infact, im gonna pretend i didnt get caught out.

Ye, lol at motofeast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

hmmm... that must be some form of contributory negligence - getting a noob to jump onto a blade??!!!??? most noobs find turning on 125's hard enough!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

None of you know how the report button works ?? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

KTRIC wrote: »

Your prompt presence proves how it's not needed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Your prompt presence proves how it's not needed :D

Don't you mean omnipresence ??

We mods have God like powers :D

KTRIC wrote: »

us braying masses like to get a bit of craic out of them, before you mods roll in and smite em :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

being as hijacking this (old, dead) thread seems to be fashionable, does anyone mind if i hop on the bandwagon? :)

i'm in a similar situation to the OP, i've been toying with getting started with a bike for a while now, and i might be changing jobs very soon with potentially a much longer commute than my current one, so it could be the push i've been after.

i'm a big guy though, 6'5" and 20+ stone so I don't think a 125 or a scooter is going to cut the mustard if you know what i mean. :D

i've seen some 250cc bikes (and some bigger ones factory restricted to 250cc) around advertised as 'learner legal'. i'm 33 now, so if i took my theory test could I just get a 250cc bike? i had a suzuki ts125 for several years when i was in my teens and have ridden a couple of bikes when holidaying abroad (a 250cc honda shadow in thailand and a random 250cc scooter) so i've got a little experience under my belt (i.e. not exactly evel knievel, but not a total noob) so i'm happy that i can handle a 250cc bike and that it would be a lot more appropriate as a first bike than a 125 for someone of my size. :)

(EDIT: just read that i can have a 250cc bike if i'm over 18 and go for the A licence, so that's good).

i've been in ireland almost 10 years now and have held a full UK licence since I was 17 and have had to drive a lot for work so i imagine i have in the region of several hundred thousand miles of on the road experience, I'm just wondering what it would take for me to get on the road and if i can just buy and hop on a 250cc bike after doing the theory test or if i'll have to jump through some more hoops first?

i'm thinking a 250 bandit might suit me, but i get the feeling i'm gonna have to at least sit on a few bikes before i make my final decision, but any pointers in the right direction for someone of my size would be appreciated.

thanks. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

vibe666 wrote: »

i'm a big guy though, 6'5" and 20+ stone so I don't think a 125 or a scooter is going to cut the mustard if you know what i mean. :D

:)

You need a 600cc bike min, the breaking power on anything less would not be enough.... ring a few insurance companys and see will they insure you on a factory restricted 600cc bike like a bandit 6 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

i've seen some 250cc bikes (and some bigger ones factory restricted to 250cc) around advertised as 'learner legal'. i'm 33 now, so if i took my theory test could I just get a 250cc bike? i had a suzuki ts125 for several years when i was in my teens and have ridden a couple of bikes when holidaying abroad (a 250cc honda shadow in thailand and a random 250cc scooter) so i've got a little experience under my belt (i.e. not exactly evel knievel, but not a total noob) so i'm happy that i can handle a 250cc bike and that it would be a lot more appropriate as a first bike than a 125 for someone of my size. :)

(EDIT: just read that i can have a 250cc bike if i'm over 18 and go for the A licence, so that's good).

The restriction is actually 33Bhp, so yeah, a lot of 250cc bikes will be under that, but not all. Also there's a few 400cc bikes that are under the 33bhp limit. Or you can restrict a bigger CC bike, though your insurance will probably be higher. I'd think at 6'5" a lot of, if not all 250s, will just be too small for you (as in you'll be uncomfortably cramped)- and you'd benefit from the extra power of a bigger bike too.

At 33, it should be easier to get insurance on a bigger bike too.
    i've been in ireland almost 10 years now and have held a full UK licence since I was 17 and have had to drive a lot for work so i imagine i have in the region of several hundred thousand miles of on the road experience, I'm just wondering what it would take for me to get on the road and if i can just buy and hop on a 250cc bike after doing the theory test or if i'll have to jump through some more hoops first?

Theory test will do you - I don't think you'll need an eye test if you already hold a valid license.
    i'm thinking a 250 bandit might suit me, but i get the feeling i'm gonna have to at least sit on a few bikes before i make my final decision, but any pointers in the right direction for someone of my size would be appreciated.

Definitely look at, and sit on, as many bikes as you can, but you probably have an idea yourself what style you like best - cruiser, sports, naked or whatever. I've always thought buying a bike is more about what you really want, rather than what's completely practical :)
    Maybe if you've an idea of what your budget is, people can point you in the right direction - and though it's a personal choice, I'd highly recommend some decent gear - helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and pants. Added to that, riders who get lessons (even just a few) are statistically less likely to be involved in a crash than those who don't, so it's no harm to get some expert instruction - it'll stand to you in the long run.

• Advertisement

give a couple of insurance companies a call and see if they'll quote you on the likes of a dl 650 vstrom...

whats the commute like in km? any motorways..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Some 1200 CC Harleys are Learner Legel also.

You defo do not need an eye test if you already hold a Full L. You just sumit a copy in when getting your Learner Permit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

being as hijacking this (old, dead) thread seems to be fashionable, does anyone mind if i hop on the bandwagon? :)

i'm in a similar situation to the OP, i've been toying with getting started with a bike for a while now, and i might be changing jobs very soon with potentially a much longer commute than my current one, so it could be the push i've been after.

try looking at restricted 600 or 650's

depending on your style have a look at the dl650, sv650, bandit 600, fazer, fz6 ....

thanks for all the advice guys, it's appreciated. :)

budget wise, i wouldn't be looking to spend more than €1000-1500 on my first bike and maybe €500 or so on gear. i know that no matter how careful i am, there's a good chance it'll be going down at least once before i get enough experience to reduce my chances of it happening significantly so a cheap bike that isn't going to make me cry if i foul it and some decent gear is probably a wise choice. i've got a car as well, so it'll be fair weather riding for the most part too.

I'm not overly vain so i don't mind looking like a numpty on an old clanker as long as it's reasonably comfortable and can keep up with traffic.

the commute is going to be from Navan, but as i don't know where I'm going to be working yet, it could be anywhere in or around Dublin.

as far as gear goes, i'll be budgeting for that too and i know that it's a big part of the whole thing and decent gear can mean the difference between life and death and/or missing skin, broken bones or ending up paralysed.

my dad is paralysed from the waist down after a roofing accident 5 years ago, so I'm probably more aware than most of what the consequences are when potentially dangerous situations go pear shaped. :(

so where's good to go (around dublin) and sit on a few bikes to try them out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

It's a little bit out, but i'd reccommend tallaght motorcycles.

They have a massive collection of bikes, and if nothing else, you can just sit on every possible style of bike to figure out what you like.

They also all love bikes, so will be more than happy to chat to you about the whole thing. I got my first bike from them 6 months back or so.

edit: 4 bikes they have that could suit your needs are:

transalp

KLR

GSXF

Jade

Ill give tsba.ie a +1 alright - decent skins in there

www.cottermc.com for gear then - I'd try and get some decent stuff - as you'll be wearing it an awful lot for a large commute, and the higher quality stuff will last that bit longer, and have you in a bit more comfort..

budget wise, might be a bit tight.. but thats just imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 newjoe

Hi all,
    I'm also thinking of getting a 250 and there seems to be good info on here as to what to look out for. One thing though for vibe666 - since you have a full uk car licence does that not also mean you have cat. A provisional entitlement and so dont need to bother with theory test/eyesight test etc? I've a uk licence issued in 96 and thats how i read it. What do you reckon?

Dont believe so Im afraid

Seperate theory tests now for bikes and cars, so dont believe that happens any more (could very well be wrong though)

no, i've held my full licence i was 17 (33 now, almost 34) so it's pretty old, but it says B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E, f, k, l, n, p so no A1 or A. :(

i did think that a full UK licence would entitle me to an A provisional on a bike though, but it still does let me drive a heck of a lot of stuff. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Wossack wrote: »
    Dont believe so Im afraid

Seperate theory tests now for bikes and cars, so dont believe that happens any more (could very well be wrong though)
    You're not wrong there. I have a full B licence but had to do separate bike theory test anyway.

Advertisement