Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking about getting a bike. Advice required.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 sandphil

hi there. i,ve been out of the bike scene for the last 16/17 years. going to ask a few daft questions. hope someone in the know can help....
    i held two provisional licences which expired in 1994. looking at bikes again at the moment.
    does anyone know if these would still be relevant and can i go ahead and apply for a full licence or have i to go the whole "hog" and start from scratch with theory test, eye test etc. for an A class learner permit. i'll be 40 at the end of the year and would be very capable on a bike after a couple of refresher lessons. anxiously awaiting replies.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Do you have a current car license? If you do, I don't think you have to do the eye test, but you will have to do the theory test for the A license, get a provisional, and be restricted to 33Bhp for the time before you do your test, and for two years after you get your full A license.

I think there's also a requirement that you can't apply for a third learners permit if you haven't applied for a test, or have an upcoming test date - but I'm not sure how, or even if, that would apply at all in your scenario. I think you'll be ok, because you're effectively starting anew and it's designed to stop people just continually driving on a provisional.

I'm not sure what the story is with having to wait 6 months for your test - I'd guess you will, but not 100%.

Maybe give the RSA a buzz and see? Would be interested to know how it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

sandphil wrote: »
    hi there. i,ve been out of the bike scene for the last 16/17 years. going to ask a few daft questions. hope someone in the know can help....
    i held two provisional licences which expired in 1994. looking at bikes again at the moment.
    does anyone know if these would still be relevant and can i go ahead and apply for a full licence or have i to go the whole "hog" and start from scratch with theory test, eye test etc. for an A class learner permit. i'll be 40 at the end of the year and would be very capable on a bike after a couple of refresher lessons. anxiously awaiting replies.:confused:

as you licence has expired for 5 yrs or more, you will have to start at the start.

theory test, eyesight test, 1st permit, 2 yrs restriction after passing test etc

thanks for replies. starting from scratch it is then. the thoughts of the theory test is putting me right off. but if i want a bike again so be it......:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

pa990 wrote: »
    as you licence has expired for 5 yrs or more, you will have to start at the start.

theory test, eyesight test, 1st permit, 2 yrs restriction after passing test etc

You do not need a eyesight test if you already have a Full Car L. Basically your current L number becomes the same as your new Learner Permit. So all the information is crossed over. First time in years I've heard of a government system that shares info :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

thanks for replies. starting from scratch it is then. the thoughts of the theory test is putting me right off. but if i want a bike again so be it......:(
    Don't worry about the theory test. Get yourself the CD-ROM which mimics the actual test itself and just do a feckload of practice tests. You'll notice your score steadily increase from regularly failing to consistently passing. I did this over a 2-day period prior to the test (got a cancellation slot, hence the short wait) and passed it.

Thanks to everyone who replied. i have a happy update. bought a lovely 01 bandit 600. AON or ADELAIDE wouldn't entertain me even though it's restricted and has a cert. CAROLE NASH wanted 885 but got QUINN for 555 euro. all these quotes were over the phone......fair play to the wife she did all the talking(not a problem for her).
    It took three attempts for her to get a quote from QUINN as she had to explain the difference between the A1 and A licence. And then explain that i can ride a 600 on a provisional A once its restricted. The NUMPTYS.
    She ended up getting a better quote on QUINNS website for 527euro and the website didnt even look for the cert.
    got the cd-rom and studied like mad.... did the theory test last weds got 37 out of 40. applied for licence and got her taxed the same day.
    HAPPY BIKING.:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Thanks to everyone who replied. i have a happy update. bought a lovely 01 bandit 600. AON or ADELAIDE wouldn't entertain me even though it's restricted and has a cert. CAROLE NASH wanted 885 but got QUINN for 555 euro. all these quotes were over the phone......fair play to the wife she did all the talking(not a problem for her).
    It took three attempts for her to get a quote from QUINN as she had to explain the difference between the A1 and A licence. And then explain that i can ride a 600 on a provisional A once its restricted. The NUMPTYS.
    She ended up getting a better quote on QUINNS website for 527euro and the website didnt even look for the cert.
    got the cd-rom and studied like mad.... did the theory test last weds got 37 out of 40. applied for licence and got her taxed the same day.
    HAPPY BIKING.:D:D
    Hahahahha! Good man yourself! Got the exact same response - had to explain that having an A1 was different to an A (Quinn are relatively new to biking - you wouldn't believe the sh*t I had to go through to convince them that a Ural 750cc should be judged along with the sidecar weight in addition).

Well done on passing, man! Have a great time on yer bike. Just bought an ER-6f myself (factory restricted) and it ALWAYS pays - much like riding a bike itself - to assume that the other person doesn't know what the f**k they're doing.

Enjoy your bike!

Advertisement