Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Mobile "Contract"

Options
  • 09-02-2008 11:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I switched to 3 during the week.

Went in and did all the porting stuff no bother and I was waiting to sign a contract when I was told there was none. They said if you buy the phone you agree to there terms and conditions. To me that doesnt sound right.

No matter what service I've signed up to I've always had to sign a contract be it NTL, vodafone, meteor and o2.

If there is no contract can I just leave?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Was it a 3 shop?

When I first switched to 3, I had to sign a contract. Are you sure you signed up for a bill phone and not to 3-pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

any time i signed someone up they signed a form

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sounds like an online job to me?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It was in the shop for bill pay option.

Didnt sign anythign

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I didn't sign for my 3 contract either - it was done over the phone. Giving Credit card details was sufficient I think.

• Advertisement

This sounds all kinds of wrong.

I know a verbal contract is binding but its very hard to make stick.

you will prob recieve something to sign when their contracts department realise theres a mess up.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

you have a 7 day cooling off period in which you can cancel, make use of it if you want to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

i had to sign a contract when i went to the Carphone Warehouse.

if you didn't have to sign a contract that you are not legally bound to anything.

Cabaal wrote: »
    you have a 7 day cooling off period in which you can cancel, make use of it if you want to cancel

its 14 days with 3
    i had to sign a contract when i went to the Carphone Warehouse.

if you didn't have to sign a contract that you are not legally bound to anything.
    the thing i had people sign was a print out of the information i'd just taken. it had the name, address, dob, etc and the sim card number and IMEI. there were no terms and conditions on it. is that considered a contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

its 14 days with 3

the thing i had people sign was a print out of the information i'd just taken. it had the name, address, dob, etc and the sim card number and IMEI. there were no terms and conditions on it. is that considered a contract?

It would probably have said that person has accepted the terms and conditions of contract, this is normally located at or near the actual signature. Most people couldn't be bothered reading the terms and conditions but by signing they say that they have.

By giving a 14 day cooling off period they are giving people a chance to ensure the network is suitable for them and is avaliable in the locations required.

I have been with 3 for over 2 years now and am very happy with them, they provide a good service and are very cheap and you can use half the included minutes to call people in the UK. They also offer a service whereby you can call home from most 3 countries using your minutes. It's a shame that they don't operate in the US though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i signed nothing getting the data modem so no proper contracts there either but i did have to sign for the bill-pay phone....no wait that was in another store before that but the phone was faulty so i cancelled and went to the three store hoping for better service, so looks like no contracts in three stores!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i've no intention leaving now but whats to stop me in 6 weeks or 6 months if i dont like it?

kearnsr wrote: »
    i've no intention leaving now but whats to stop me in 6 weeks or 6 months if i dont like it?

Technically a verbal contract is binding: Expect to get something in the post to sign shortly, from what i gather from a 3 employee.

SDooM wrote: »
    Technically a verbal contract is binding: Expect to get something in the post to sign shortly, from what i gather from a 3 employee.

What verbal contract though?I asked to buy a phone. I didnt ask to sign up for 6 months or 8 weeks or a year.

Its just surprising is all

jahalpin wrote: »
    It would probably have said that person has accepted the terms and conditions of contract, this is normally located at or near the actual signature. Most people couldn't be bothered reading the terms and conditions but by signing they say that they have.
    Nope, i would fill in the details and print the page before submitting it. The only information on it was what i filled in. There wasn't even a place to sign. They just signed somewhere on the bottom half that didn't have text on it

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Hi Kearnsr

That doesnt sound rite at all. Ive heard of O2 customer care ringing up customers saying your due and upgrade and would you like to stay with us for another year. If customer says yes but than later on looks at different offers of other networks and they decide no i wont upgrade ill port onto another network. O2 will send out a last bill which the accumalation of the 12 months based on your tariff plan. E.G 20euro per month. So last bill 240euro. They say tough **** you verbally agreed to stay with us.

Customer went onto the 3 network in a carphone warehouse store and told the fella behind the counter about the call but he never heard in the 2years working there that you are tied into a contract. Carphone warehouse out of decency paid the bill on her behalf. They werent obliged to but did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

That sounds perfectly fair to me. If you agree to another 12 month contract then why should you be surprised if there is a penalty when you change your mind and go to another network?

If you're that clueless you should stick to pay as you go, tbh.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eth0_ wrote: »
    That sounds perfectly fair to me. If you agree to another 12 month contract then why should you be surprised if there is a penalty when you change your mind and go to another network?

If you're that clueless you should stick to pay as you go, tbh.

Have to agree, if your not smart enough to understand T&C's of a contract then don;t get involved in one

Advertisement