Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new newbie.

• 10-02-2008 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

howyas,
    ive been reading some of the threads here, very good. good to see an irish angle on things at last.

well im just getting back into my hunting and fishing after a break of (too many) years. ive just moved back to cavan after a few years in dublin (among other places) and am eager to get back to me roots!

i grew up in cavan- ferreting, fishing, hunting etc.

ive recently bought a gamo air rifle as im getting into it slowly.
    i have in the past (about 20 years ago) owned bsa mercury air rifle, an old stevens single barrel hammer 12g, and then a mossberg pump-action 12g.

The super in the local gards station was sound bout me getting the rifle/firearms license, but was fairly insistent on the gun cabinet thing, so i bought a standard locker, and then reinforced it with 3mm steel plate and added hasp locks with the hidden screw thingys. its bolted to the wall with 10mm anchor bolts so it should be passable, just waiting for someone to call this week to inspect it, then i can collect my "plinker".
    im hoping then to buy o shotgun and then maybe a rimfire.

god be with the days when ye could just leave the 'auld gun under the bed!!

anyways just to say hello and ill be contributing/reading the forum regularly.
    keep up the good work.

cheers

connor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

Welcome! The more the merrier on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hello, and you're welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

very welcome, it's the guns under the bed that are causing the problems not those secured and in regular use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Hello there, I started in a similar way to yourself, fishing, ferreting and hunting with terriers which i stll enjoy.
    I think in the next few years the number or FAC's issued may drop but maybee this will be for the better, IMO gunsafes should be compulsary and not just common sence, I know a small number of people who got a firearm because "thier cool" and theese are the type of people that havnt much of a mind for safety, I got talking to this group of lads in the pub and after getting to know them i went on one of thier clay shoots, never again, what i saw isnt worth thinking about, i was laughed at when i mentioned the lenghts i have gone to keep my firearms safe. might be down to the local sup but it seems very easy to obtain a FAC with few questions.

Agree totally with you, as a start I follow the Home office guidance published in the UK and then added my own. I was shocked the other night when I saw the 22 with mod and the Berretta Teknys on the news as part of the drugs haul in Dublin. How does that look to the public when once upon of time they were probabally legally held at one time:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i totally agree, when i said "god be with the days.." etc, i meant it was a bit of a more innocent time, cant ever remember guns being stolen when i was a young lad.
    i totally agree with the safety and security issue nowadays, it seems all towns and villages across the country have grown recently, and unsavoury characters seem to be evreywhere.

incidently cavanshooter, many bunnies around, i havent seen many around lately, i used to shoot/ferret around ballyhaise,ballinagh crossdoney, used to get 30-40 on a sunday, we could sell maybe 30 to sheridans and divide the rest among ourselves.

...ah god be with the days..

good few, I see them mostly when lamping..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭thehair

hi flanum and welcome steve:)

Advertisement