Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website publicity: Are link exchanges dead?

• 10-02-2008 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on this.

I have a new website I would like to drive traffic to, and am exploring ways of publicising it.

I'm sure all site owners have come across automated submission forms etc. and to be honest I'm staying a mile away from them - I'm of the opinion that if you act in a spammy fashion, then this will ultimately go against you in the long run, or have little benefit at best.

Now for users, web directories might have gone the way of the dodo since about 2000, but there still appear to be some out there that are non-spammy, human edited, and have a decent pagerank. These often request a reciprocal link back to their directory.

My question is, is this type of link exchanging in any way benefical to your site?

You could understand that if you are exchanging with a steaming pile of *, that some of that negative ranking karma will stick. But it seems that if a directory is well-run, non-spammy, human edited etc., then surely it may give at least a little bump to your own rankings, even if you do have a linkback to them?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I think there are plenty of excellent directories that accept sites without reciprocal links, but it may depend what industry your site is for.

If the directory has a good pagerank the link will benefit your site in turn. I don't think the reciprocal link will make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moved from Webmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Moonstar

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    I think there are plenty of excellent directories that accept sites without reciprocal links, but it may depend what industry your site is for.
    Yep, if you have a niche site then I guess it's always worth checking out special interest directories. It seems the generalised directories should be a bit more useless, except for the very biggest.
    CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    If the directory has a good pagerank the link will benefit your site in turn. I don't think the reciprocal link will make any difference.
    The trouble is always trying to second-guess what Google will think. So I suppose the best you can do is just try to avoid a situation where things look too spammy, or built specifically to try to game the engines, while still looking at increasing publicity.

Advertisement