Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2008 Timetable

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I sit just my eyes or has the chemistry and home economics papers been moved becuase I thought chemistry was on the first day? it now appears to be on the second day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

Not so bad for me, I'm a bit happier. I have 3 days to revise for History :) But I don't like French/History and Art/Biology. When is Art practial? (Life composition, Imaginative composition)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

JSK 252 wrote: »
    I never knew you could do this. Was this arramgement always around? because a few years back agricultural science and biology were timetabled the same time and my friend who was picking subjects at the time ( back in ty) for the lc wasnt allowed do both.

Do you get any break at all between the exams??
    I'm not sure if it's always been the case, but that sounds more like it'd be something the school arranged.
    (Though it's possible ag science and biology aren't compatible, like, you're not allowed do both PhysChem and Chemistry (or Physics), for obvious reasons...)

I'd say you get a break, like, I've no personal experience of this, this is just what I've heard, but they couldn't expect you to do two exams in a row with no break. It'd be a supervised break I'd say, so you couldn't cheat etc.

Art is the 8th and 9th of May, I think.
    Timetable of Practicals/Orals: http://www.examinations.ie/exam/Pract_LC_08_EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I'm not sure if it's always been the case, but that sounds more like it'd be something the school arranged.
    (Though it's possible ag science and biology aren't compatible, like, you're not allowed do both PhysChem and Chemistry (or Physics), for obvious reasons...)

I'd say you get a break, like, I've no personal experience of this, this is just what I've heard, but they couldn't expect you to do two exams in a row with no break. It'd be a supervised break I'd say, so you couldn't cheat etc.

Until the biology course changed a few years back, the biology and ag science courses were considered too similar so you couldn't count both for points, so there was no point offering both in schools. It's now possible to do both and is quite a popular choice in schools where both exist ( a lot of my ag science students also do biology) so it was moved on the timetable.

There are just over 4000 students doing Ag and only about 1200 doing App Maths so the likelihood of a person doing both is smaller than a combination of either with a more popular subject.

I heard of a school a couple of years ago where the examiner gave out the wrong english paper, so the students had to do English paper 2 in the morning, and were then kept in for a supervised lunch and did paper one in the afternoon so they couldn't communicate with anyone who would have done the exams in the correct order, I imagine it's the same for the small few students who do combinations of minority subjects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are certain combinations of subjects which are not allowed, but in a case where someone is doing two minority subjects that are timetabled against each other, the SEC (and Exams Branch before them) have always allowed for special arrangements. If this did not happen it would have been because the school did not apply for it, or had not actually entered the candidate for both subjects.

The SEC will also make similar arrangements for people who suffer the loss of a parent/close relative and need to sit a 9.30 exam, say, starting at 7.30am to be able to attend a funeral. I supervised a young lad once who had just lost his mother and was in doing an exam before her funeral. I also almost supervised a young woman and her boyfriend who had just become parents in the Rotunda - another supervisor got there before me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 smiler89

I got home ec and chemistry aswell as english nd maths paper one in the first three days!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

smiler89 wrote: »
    I got home ec and chemistry aswell as english nd maths paper one in the first three days!!!:(

at least you'll get them over quickly. i only have one day where i have two exams. Maths II and Irish I i think. thats gonna be a tough day.

EDIT: hey why was my signature removed. gay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Peleus wrote: »
    at least you'll get them over quickly. i only have one day where i have two exams. Maths II and Irish I i think. thats gonna be a tough day.

EDIT: hey why was my signature removed. gay
    Your signature is there, assuming you didnt put up a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

1huge1 wrote: »
    wow that all, Its quiet a popular subject in our school

2 full classes so 50ish people.

Same story in Clare actually: its to do with all the Farmer country out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I suppose theres a fair bit of farmers around my way, it county limerick myself which is nothing like the city

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

Peleus wrote: »
    i do applies maths. im good at maths, so applied maths is easy for me. you know when your in maths class doing differentiation or intergration and you ask yourself "when am i ever going to use this?". in applied maths you basically use everything you did in maths over the years to work out, for example, where a ball will land if you shot it into the air at 5 m/s at an angle of 30degrees. its great and alot more fun that maths.

damn, i love maths (hence my nerdy name..) but our school is only introducing an applied maths class for next years fifth years! So unfair!! And 6th year is jammers with mathematically brained people! Life...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

My school doesn't do applied maths at all (hell, we only do chemistry/physics every other year or so)... find somewhere to do it outside school. It's really handy if you do physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

1) i dont do physics....

2) I doubt i'd get the course done in the next 11 weeks!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

They don't do it in our school either. They always asks who wants to do it and then leaves them in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Until the biology course changed a few years back, the biology and ag science courses were considered too similar so you couldn't count both for points, so there was no point offering both in schools. It's now possible to do both and is quite a popular choice in schools where both exist ( a lot of my ag science students also do biology) so it was moved on the timetable.

are you sure? its made quite clear by the dep of education(and college prospectuses dont allow the combination for points), that you CANNOT do both of them,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Fad wrote: »
    are you sure? its made quite clear by the dep of education(and college prospectuses dont allow the combination for points), that you CANNOT do both of them,

yes i am quite sure, I'm a biology and ag science teacher.

you can do both, but some colleges do not accept both for requirements. Points wise this is not a problem, points will be accepted from both, but if you are doing biology and ag some colleges may not accept them as separate sciences for entry to some degree courses if the course requires 2 sciences, the college may want biology or ag with chemistry/physics/app maths etc.

Colleges can have whatever entry requirements they want, it's got nothing to do with the department.

The only combinations (that I am aware of) that are not allowed for points purposes are

Economics/ Agricultural Economics
    Agricultural Science/Agricultural Economics
    Physics/Physics and Chemistry
    Chemistry/Physics and Chemistry

there is nothing to stop you taking any of the above combinations but you cannnot count both for points.

The biology/ ag science combination has been allowed since the new biology course came in in 2003.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

We had applied maths in fifth year. Twas great craic. Then we had a different teacher who only showed up a few times at the start of sixth year and that was that. Principal said he couldn't find anyone else. I failed my exam :(

Ahh I hate how they changed the english thing. I would just prefer to have english all on one day like last year.
    Now ive to do english and the stupid waste of time subject that is home ec on wednesday! arghhhhh!!!!! :mad:

But wooo! Finish thursday 12th!! Booo yeah!

Advertisement