Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photographing on Dress Rehearsal

Options
  • 10-02-2008 2:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey all,

Before I would start to annoy theaters with my question I thought I would ask it here.... does anyone have some information or advice on how to approach theaters and who is the person to ask if I want to get into stage photography. Does anyone know about smaller groups, who don't have money for a dedicated photographer and would like some publicity shots? I don't want to make any money of it, I'm just drawn to capturing art and creating art.

Thanks in advance,
    Zoltan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

randomway wrote: »
    Hey all,

Before I would start to annoy theaters with my question I thought I would ask it here.... does anyone have some information or advice on how to approach theaters and who is the person to ask if I want to get into stage photography. Does anyone know about smaller groups, who don't have money for a dedicated photographer and would like some publicity shots? I don't want to make any money of it, I'm just drawn to capturing art and creating art.

Thanks in advance,
    Zoltan

Contact your local amateur drama society. I'm sure they'd be delighted at the idea of having free photography done. You should be able to find out who/where they are through Google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭randomway

Thanks. I actually found a few companies browsing through the boards.ie, so I will start calling them tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Shame you didn't post this earlier... GF was looking for someone to take pictures during her shows dress rehersal yesterday. I was meant to do it but I fell into a pub at lunch time n fell back out 12hrs later...

I'll see if there's any oportunities going during the week that you could head over to if ur interested... She got someone to take pics with my camera, 96 shots and they're all out of focus...

unklerosco wrote: »
    Shame you didn't post this earlier... GF was looking for someone to take pictures during her shows dress rehersal yesterday. I was meant to do it but I fell into a pub at lunch time n fell back out 12hrs later...

I'll see if there's any oportunities going during the week that you could head over to if ur interested... She got someone to take pics with my camera, 96 shots and they're all out of focus...

It's a shame indeed. Anyways, I'm patient and I know that there will be opportunities popping up.... Abbey Theatre said NO... surprisingly :)

I am not a pro, but I am doing low-light photography for a while and I feel like it's time to leave street photography and change to something else...

Unclerosco, PM me if you need my details for future reference.

Regards

Check out www.aims.ie... Its the Irish Musical society website, there's a forum there... There's loads n loads of societies that'd love to get someone in to take pics... You'll get plenty of offers for help there..

• Advertisement

I've just registered on the AIMS, thanks for the tip... I'm sure a lot of groups would be happy to get some free photos, but we shall see.

Try some of the colleges as well, Check out Bull Alley/The Liberties College.. They run a 4 year drama course, remember when my mates where in it they'd no one to take pics, i'm sure they'd be happy to have you too... They're constantly running shows

I did the publicity and production shootings for the Painted Filly Theatre, who are playing the 100 minutes 2008... it's a lot of fun and a very interesting experiment... played in the Project Arts Centre in Temple Bar. I covered the On Q group, who had the Red Roses and Petrol in rehearsals and now playing it. It's great fun and a lot of inspiration for my other photographic work. Check some of the photos on my blog http://www.flickr.com/photos/randomway and feel free to contact me if you need free photography.

Thanks for the help and ideas when I needed them and keep them coming!

Some great shots there... I think the GF has another show comming up so I'll keep u in mind for that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jojo12

Randomway,
    our local Variety group are staging a show on April 2nd to 5th In Perrystown Dublin 12. there are lots of colourful costumes and sets so it would be a good one for you to photograph. judging by the standard of the shows in '06 & '07, it will be a spectacular and entertaining show.
    i can find out from the group leader if you could come along either to dress rehearsal or to one of the performances.

• Advertisement

Feel free to email me on zoltan @ barothi . com (without spaces) anytime. I am always happy to shoot theatre productions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭photo_gaa

i took images in opera in wexford

just called the press office

opera looks good in images

Advertisement