Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So who's going to win the Meteor Award?

• 10-02-2008 2:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭

So, that time of year has come again and there are six "DJ's" (read 'presenters', tbh) up for the "Best National DJ" award in the Meteor Ireland Music Awards this year (more)

Basically... who will/would you vote for?

Personally, I'd like to see Rick O'Shea (or, at a push, Ray Foley) win it - essentially though, anybody but D'Arcy will do for me.

Who do you want to win the "Best National DJ" Meteor Award? 18 votes

Ray D'Arcy (TODAY FM)
    0% 0 votes
    Ian Dempsey (TODAY FM)
    5% 1 vote
    Tom Dunne (TODAY FM)
    11% 2 votes
    Dave Fanning (RTÉ RADIO 1)
    44% 8 votes
    Ray Foley (TODAY FM)
    5% 1 vote
    Rick O'Shea (RTÉ 2FM)
    33% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'll vote for them all if it means the winner gets shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I'd give it to Rick O Shea, the best of a bad bunch really. But bloody Darcy will probably win it, Wanker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'm not drawn to any of them really. Years ago it would have been Rick O Shea (when he was on at night with famous for 15 seconds, etc). I suppose I like Dave Fanning sometimes, but the rest are not for me!

Darcy will get it though, his fans are pretty loyal. (Despite him being very annoying!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Either of the two Rays.

But pushing for Foley!

EDIT: Rick O Shea.. are ye serious?! :eek: Woeful!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'd say that either Foley or D'arcy will win it, though I'd rather Dempsey or Fanning to win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Tom Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

I'd rather see O'Shea win over some lazy bastard like Foley win.At least you can rely on Rick O'Shea over D'Arcy or Foley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

I'd love to see Ray Foley get it. He's certainly doing enough canvassing on his show anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'd like to see Tom Dunne or Ian Dempsey win it, but the way Ray Foley has been pimping for votes means he'll probably win it.

Though I did hear that only one vote counts, so after that if people are multi-voting, they don't count (could have just been one vote a day too).

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, it's just radio...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Anyone but Ray Foley.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭lolipops

Firetrap wrote: »
    Anyone but Ray Foley.

anyone but? :eek:

i love ray! and he said he would even wear a purple frock to it :(
    ray foley has my vote!
    and he even said he would bring jp and edel up with him:)
    ray for president!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

This will be the only warning. If this thread turns into a debate about Ray Foley, it will be locked and people will be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

can you have a debate on who will win the best dj without debating the people nominated?
    i understand there was issues before re: foley but banning and locking seems harsh.

anyways, i dont generally listen to the radio unless @7 in the morning or evening, so my vote is with Tom Dunne.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

gucci wrote: »
    can you have a debate on who will win the best dj without debating the people nominated?
    i understand there was issues before re: foley but banning and locking seems harsh.

That is perfectly fine. However, if it turns (as it has numerous times before) into tit for tatting between Foley fans and non Foley fans then it will be locked.

I'm just warning people early. I'd rather not see the thread descend into that.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Best National DJ award went to Ray Foley. Fair play Ray. Delighted that Ray Darcy didnt get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Congrats to Mr Foley.. well deserved in my opinion.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Best National DJ award went to Ray Foley. Fair play Ray. Delighted that Ray Darcy didnt get it

Really? Did he get up and sing Journey like he said he would? I'd say he only said that because he didn't think he'd win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭patrickc

basquille wrote: »
    Congrats to Mr Foley.. well deserved in my opinion.

hes such a cocky sh*thead what a pity he won it.

ray won? wooooooo
    how do you know? meteor awards are not aired until saturday?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

lolipops wrote: »
    ray won? wooooooo

It's in some of the newspapers

Foley's some legend all the same :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

lolipops wrote: »
    ray won? wooooooo

The awards took place last night in the RDS and it only goes out on TV tonight at 9pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Out of respect to tSubh Dearg I will simply express my disgust that Foley won and wont go any further than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

jor el wrote: »
    Really? Did he get up and sing Journey like he said he would? I'd say he only said that because he didn't think he'd win.

Yes, he did...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

WOW so thats what Ray Foley looks like?Well done to him i guess.......!

Ray and Glenda Gilson on the one TV clip......this could get messy....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Harry Bo

So Foley won, not surprised. Well on the positive side he's the least annoying of the 2 Rays. It should bring Darcy down a peg. I would've gone for anybody except those 2 tbh and preferably Tom Dunne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Macca206

Was happy to see Foley win it as backed him at 6/1 to win.. it was clear the way he was begging for votes that he was drumming up more support than anyone else and the nature of the voting (texting) would have appealed to Foleys listeners moreso than any other DJ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

He didnt shut the f*ck up about it all day today. His ego will start catching up with D'arcy's now.

I dont like Tom Dunne, but I wouldve rather he won than any of the others.

i love JP :)
    i was sick of watching Darcy win,
    and Foley is so funny great crack pity i cant listen him during the day because of school but juring the mid term i did and i wasn't disappointed.

download his podcast if you havnt already its hilarious :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

As much as people on Boards love him or hate him you have to say he's got the gift of the gab. I'm glad to see a new name on that award and he was entitled to rub it in today. Afterall it was a public vote and the public voted for him. He did mention that a certain Mz Hayes was a bit peed off at his success. I hope that wasn't true.... was it???

• Advertisement

bbability wrote: »
    He did mention that a certain Mz Hayes was a bit peed off at his success. I hope that wasn't true.... was it???

I don't know, most of what Foley says sounds like it's a yarn anyway, so you never know when he's being truthful or when he's just making up stuff. Hayes is a bubbling half wit anyway, so if I were Foley I wouldn't be too cut up about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

Absolutely thrilled ray got it! He is so lively on the radio and well deserved it. Coming from a ballina person myself i'm bound to be a bit biased but it couldn't have gone to a better person!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Happy to see the award going to a young guy who's doing a great job !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭lubie76

Well done to Ray Foley! Without doubt the best and funniest DJ on national radio at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I just noticed that the Best Regional DJ award went to Keith Cunningham.

That's good to hear... I was in college with him and he was always fun to work with.

Advertisement