Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming To Sligo IT

Options
  • 10-02-2008 3:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Ello :)

Hopefully this time next year I will be a fully fledged Sligonian as I am hoping to take a course down there :)

Would you guys recommend it as a good IT for studying and partying (Of Course)

Also without wanting to pry (Yeah right) how much would you need roungly to survive for a year down there - Accom / Food / Booze

Finally what's the deal with grants - I will be a mature Student (Gasp) so am I entitled to anything - being 24 I am sure it won't depend on my parents income?

Ta for any pointers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 defiant

Check out http://www.studentfinance.ie/

or

contact the SU education officer (who also happens to be the President) at president@itssu.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sodoro

what do you plan on studying here??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭scut

acommadation is really cheap, 50-60 a week, much cheaper than any other of the student towns, for food theres a tesco, dunnes and lidl in the town and as far as drinkin is concerned they do great deals in O neills and the Leitrim bar on week nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Can anybody tell me whether the bus routes serve the IT during the summer months, or does the service cease once the college term/semester is over. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

AFAIK the bus routes (town service) serve the college over the summer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SarahE

Hey!:D

im hopefully startin in the i.t. real soon....any advice??Kinda scared!!:(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 toastomatic

You'll love it, its great...what course you doing?

Im doing the business course introduced this year!!!...
    It looks like a class course....
    I cant wait to start....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 upthedubs**

Hey,

Im thinking of going to Sligo IT this year to study health Science and Phyisology.
    Is the accomodation cheap there?

Will it be a big transition transferring from Dublin to Sligo do ppl reckn?
    Or will there be the same amount of nights out n that lark?

Is the campus big?
    How many students actually attend?

;);););)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Accomodation can be had from €50ish a week each. The most common nights for going out are wednesday and thursday though me and my mates pretty much always went to the pub every monday night and always ended up having a few cans in the house most nights we weren't out. How the fúck my liver survived that is nothing short of a miracle. The campus is quite big but you'll mostly be in the one area. I think there's around 4500 students in the college or there abouts so there's plenty of friends to be made. :)

• Advertisement

Oh yeah i was wonderin bout accom too....

where do u recommend to go??im headin down next wk to check it out but kinda want to have an idea ya know!?!

So the pubs are good then??!?!?!!;)

Cool thanks alot...

Just wondering how long is it from Dub to Sligo?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

about 2.5 hours of a drive from the M50, 3 hours by bus or train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cartroncowboy

Sarah

The are plenty of accomm options. The usual student haunts are all around the IT area. A place called Cartron is where lots of students end up. its about a 10 min walk to the campus. There are also lots of newly built accom on campus as well as across the road.

Check out:
    http://www.thevillageclarion.ie/ - 5 mins from the college

www.milliganplace.com - about a 15 min walk although there is a halting site right across the road. May not be too safe coming home at night.

http://www.yeatsvillage.ie/ - about 5 mins away

To be honest these are just a few, there are loads, check with the student union when you get down here , im sure they have a list.

There is on-site student accom also but i just cannot think of the name of it.

The pub you will be spending most of your time is called the Brewery. Its across the road from the college and was basically built for students. Thats where the love happens ;). Also the Leitrim bar on the walk into town is a student fav.

Nightclub websites:
    The Belfy/Toffs : http://www.belfrypub.com/home.html
    Velvet Nightclub (only open Sat nights - strictly over 23s) http://www.velvetroom.ie/
    Envy (Main student club) http://www.envy.ie/

Enjoy !

Where would the most suitable student accomodation be?
    Does the annual fee cover all other charges like electricity n that?

Would it be easy to get a part time job? :p:p

haha what a msg!!

Thanks im sure ill find somethin!!

Ooh love happens sounds promisin that place so!!haha:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mr.miagi

im gona do biomedical science this year

anyone here already doin it???
    is it any good??

im kinda lost about the whole accomadation thing
    all the pourpous built student places are full

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

There are loads of housing estates around,Glencarrig,Glenard,Rathbraughan and Cartron.Plenty of houses are rented out to students and are all withing 10 mins of the IT.
    For once I wont need to worry about accomodation,I'm living at home this year until Christmas anyways.

ya im stayin at home till octoberish
    some people should have dropped out by then

Have you got far of a commute to college then.

A friend of mine did Biomedical Science,says it was a really good course.I hope it goes to plan for you

• Advertisement

thanks
    not far just ballina
    glad to hear its a good course
    im afraid ill end up on a factory line somewhere though after going to college

You will hardly end up on a factory line.

I'm starting Business in Marketing with French,don't know where that will bring me in the future and don't think there will be too many people doing the same course as me:(

Got my letter from Sligo IT in the post this morning,I start on the 15th of September :D:D

you could end eup anywhere with that
    doin the likes ov translating or international relaitons
    it could bring you a long way
    i hope you do well in it, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 :D

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Got my letter from Sligo IT in the post this morning,I start on the 15th of September :D:D

Yea! Me too! So what about accommodation? I think im leaving it abit late! ahh!

almost evryone starts on the 15th
    what are ye goin to studdy???
    anyone here doing biomed.???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

1st years start the 15th. everyone else is bak the 16th I think.

ya that sounds about right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 :D

mr.miagi wrote: »
    almost evryone starts on the 15th
    what are ye goin to studdy???
    anyone here doing biomed.???

Im going to study Performing Arts :) Cant wait if its as good as it sounds!

So do most 1st yrs. get digs or on campus accommodation or what?

haha like the random questions- have the same one about cow milk myself! lol

• Advertisement

haha
    thanks
    well theres no on campus places and the pourpous built places are all full
    so im just guna share a 2 bedroom house with 1 of the girls i know thats going up

Advertisement