Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

proberly a stupid question, but here goes

Options
  • 10-02-2008 5:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Before i upgrade my pc (Compaq Presario SR1519UK, bought from PCWorld) i was wondering what i can salvage. I want to build a gaming pc. Im upgrading the important bits first (cpu,mobo,gfx etc). Keeping the original HDD (seagate barracuda 7200.7 ata) for the moment as seems to have Windows XP already installed, would save some money to put into the cpu, gfx.........etc
    Basically my question is can i use this hdd with windows xp installed on it with the new system? (never came with backup disks)

Also, in ''My Computer'' it states a C: and D: Hard Disk Drives. When I click the D: icon a message comes on screen stating:
    'Warning Recovery Partition,
    This area of your Hard Disk (or partition) contains files used for system recovery, do not delete or alter these files, any change to this partition could prevent any recovery later'

There is a lock symbol so i cant open this part of the hdd anyway!!!!!
    So, Does this seem fine to basically put into a new pc an use the original Windows XP? KIlling 2 birds with one stone :)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Regardless if it has XP or not, on the back of your old PC will be a product key, allowing you to install a genuine version of XP on the new machine. The Mobo spec will dictate if you can recycle parts from the old build. The partition is probably admin accessible, you can use it in the event of catastrophic sudden non-existance syndrome of any of your drivers etc. Best to format the ****er alltogether no matter what you do.
    And there are no stupid questions. Only Charlie Sheen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I got away with changing my motherboard and keeping the same Windows installation on my old hard drive. Although ive heard of plenty of people who werent so lucky. You'll be left with a bunch of drivers from your old motherboard though. So you're gonna have to get a good driver cleaner program like DC pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

Best to format the ****er alltogether no matter what you do.

Ok so i have the product key on the side of the case. :)

Once the HDD is connected to the mobo how do i set it up ?
    on the first boot what happens ?
    will it automatically be windows XP or is their going to be done on the bios ? Note the MOBO is
    http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4KRT&CategorySelectedId=11022&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11022&InMerch=1

Also how would i go about formating the ****er :D and what would this involve doing ;)

Your help would be well appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

another question:
    My PC:
    http://www.ciao.co.uk/Compaq_Presario_SR1519UK__6365040

will this case be compatible with my new atx mobo, it is wide enough take it an ATX's dimensions , but the screws may not be right:(
    am i right? the mainboard for my old mobo is
    http://217.110.237.67/Manuals/7184-engl%20v1.x.pdf

also dont say buy a new case without checking about my question, the savings are going into the best components i can afford, this is a salvage operation after all

Advertisement