Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling old cars into the wrong hands.

Options
  • 10-02-2008 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

My elderly mother has a MK2 Golf, It was in good condition until 2005 when she could no longer drive it because of her health. It hasnt been started for over two years. I recently placed on an advertising website as a project or for spares but was I was indundated with youngsters asking could It drive away, would it start easily. The add was taken down. I will probably get the council to take it away for scrap. Who is responsible if a car is sold into the wrong hands?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

They are really assuming that they are old enough.
    A Mk II golf would be quite desirable given the vintage and relative rarity. Offer it to an enthuasiast tbh, e.g. vagdrivers.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If they are of age you do your responsibility which is to fill in the vlc with their details and send it away, if they crash and kill someone with the car it's their problem then.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

To the best of my knowledge the seller's obligations end with filling out the change of ownership slip.

What else would you do, check the tax, the insurance cert etc ?

Who is going to determine what "the wrong hands are"?

XJR wrote: »
    Who is going to determine what "the wrong hands are"?
    To a certain extent, the seller. IIRC there was a case a few years ago where a few kids bought an unroadworthy car and ended up dying in it a few hours later. The seller IIRC was deemed partly responsible.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

kbannon wrote: »
    To a certain extent, the seller. IIRC there was a case a few years ago where a few kids bought an unroadworthy car and ended up dying in it a few hours later. The seller IIRC was deemed partly responsible.

I guess that's a fair point however; I assume the reason he was partly to blame was that the car was unroadworthy.

In this instance there is no suggestion of the car being unroadworthy os if you make it a 40year old man and not a teenager who is to check that the buyer is road legal ?

• Advertisement

I know but I was just making the point. Still if the OP is going to give it away as scrap...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Nah, don't junk it, but yeah try something like vagdrivers or whatever. Lots of enthusiasts out there looking for project cars, and some are quite responsible!

Having said that I did junk my old audi 80... but that wouldn't be as desirable for project as a Golf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Nah, don't junk it, but yeah try something like vagdrivers or whatever. Lots of enthusiasts out there looking for project cars, and some are quite responsible!

Having said that I did junk my old audi 80... but that wouldn't be as desirable for project as a Golf.
    My father had his old 2 door MK 1Golf Diesel van scrapped by the council in 2000, Classic GTI heads go mad for these body shells now. The model now in question is the less desired 4 door model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

My elderly mother has a MK2 Golf, It was in good condition until 2005 when she could no longer drive it because of her health. It hasnt been started for over two years. I recently placed on an advertising website as a project or for spares but was I was indundated with youngsters asking could It drive away, would it start easily. The add was taken down. I will probably get the council to take it away for scrap. Who is responsible if a car is sold into the wrong hands?
    you could give it away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

My father had his old 2 door MK 1Golf Diesel van scrapped by the council in 2000, Classic GTI heads go mad for these body shells now. The model now in question is the less desired 4 door model.
    Hard enough to find a home for a four door, a two door would always generate a bit more interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

theres def a lot of demand for one of these as a project, dont scrap it!
    as said before give it to someone on vagdrivers.net, well you can sell it for a euro type of thing if ya get me

yep,theres surely someone out there that would make use of it, or parts of it.suppose it depends how bad the car is,if its clean enough it shouldnt be a problem to pass on.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

sure id take the car off you if I had bloody space:mad:

We all have that problem, i reckon if i had 30000sq feet of garage id still find the cars to fill it!!:D

Advertisement