Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What tools to use?

Options
  • 10-02-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

For a long time i've been using Dreamweaver and Photoshop for my web work, But now my Job wants be to start doing letterheads/flyers/ ad's for mags / CD covers all kinds of Print stuff.

I know Photoshop is not the best for doing this.

Should i be looking at something like In Design? What do you think?

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Illustrator is good to use for logos and artwork. It is also good for single page layouts such as CD covers and flyers. InDesign is good for multi-page documents. All these packages are made by Adobe so use the same tools and layouts and you can paste from one to the other. If you are familiar with Photoshop, you should pick up Illustrator and InDesign quite quickly. I use Illustrator all the time for logo design and the beauty is you can just make a high-res PDF in the end to send to the printers without having to worry about which version they use etc. Other layout packages include QuarkXpress which up until recently was the industry standard. I chose to go with the Adobe suite as it was by far more affordable and with a PDF it doesn't really matter what the printers use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Hank_Scorpio

You can still save a photoshop file with all the vectors in tact.

You can import Smart Vector Objects, which is just an illustrator file. If your file is 300 dpi, then the smart object outputs, rasterised as 300 dpi, for example.

All text and vectors created in photoshop can be maintained if you save the file as PDF from Photoshop, but make sure to preserve your layers.

InDesign really is the only package you should look at for designing, in my opinion. Quark is good, I started out in Quark, but it's a world away from someone who is familiar with Photoshop and Illustrator. Not everything works the exact same and it's a little duanting at first, if you've never used a page layout program, like Quark, Pagemaker of Ventura. But the principles are still the same from Photoshop and Illustrator.

If you need any help anytime with anything InDesign related, drop me a PM.

Hank

Advertisement